San Rafael Trip

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I would love to go as well, not sure the GF would want to sleep out in the cold so it might just be me if she will give me the ok... lol

I don't think the 13-15 would work for me seeing valentines day and my daughters birthday are in those dates (14th for both)...

Hey Kurt why is there no trail map in that section on here? I can find just about any trail that has been talked about on here there but this one... you withholding on us all? lol
John

Jeeperman

A.K.A. Eugene
I'd love to come too. If we go 13-15, I should be able to make it. assuming I can get the axles in the grand by then. I've never been down there before either, but I've heard tons of good stuff about it, and have really been wanting to go lately so this would be perfect :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Hey Kurt why is there no trail map in that section on here? I can find just about any trail that has been talked about on here there but this one... you withholding on us all? lol
John

There are ~30 different routes and 3-400 miles of trails in the Swell, it would take a few trail maps :D

On that note the best map is the new BLM Motorized Travel Map, its well done. Its available at any of the BLM offices in the area, some of the trailheads and even some of the gas stations in the vicinity.

eprobe

Rescheduling to Feb. 20-22

I want to reset the travel dates to Feb. 20-22, as I'll be skiing on the 14th. So as not to conflict w/ Cruiseroutfit's trip, I'd like to travel from Castledale E. past the Wedge, then down through the Swell to Temple Mountain and camp in that vicinity 1st day (Fri.). Maybe do some wheeling in that vicinity 1st day. 2nd day(Sat.), narrows hiking in Narrows on E. edge of Swell. 3rd day (Sun.) more hiking and/or trip up to Mexican Mtn. and then back home.

Who is willing and able to make those dates?

eprobe

Yep, that's the date

I'm going to take a stand, Rot Box and say, yep that's the date. I'm going on the 20th even if there's an earthquake/hurricane/blizzard. Even if my Heep doesn't work and I have to push it.

I want to reset the travel dates to Feb. 20-22, as I'll be skiing on the 14th. So as not to conflict w/ Cruiseroutfit's trip, I'd like to travel from Castledale E. past the Wedge, then down through the Swell to Temple Mountain and camp in that vicinity 1st day (Fri.). Maybe do some wheeling in that vicinity 1st day. 2nd day(Sat.), narrows hiking in Narrows on E. edge of Swell. 3rd day (Sun.) more hiking and/or trip up to Mexican Mtn. and then back home.

When/where is Kurt's trip? Same date/different route, or different date?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I wanna come. I have been down there hiking/slot canyons many times, but never wheeling. How hard is it? Can a normal truck make it? The jeep isn't ready to go.

eprobe

4-wheeling

I'm guessing that the slick gray goo is going to be the worst of it. My CJ won't do anything over about a 5 or 6 on the Easter Safari scale. But I don't want to discourage those who have built rigs from trying out gnarly obstacles if they wish.

kkemp

I wanna come. I have been down there hiking/slot canyons many times, but never wheeling. How hard is it? Can a normal truck make it? The jeep isn't ready to go.

Your truck, assuming it's 4 wheel drive, should be fine. Most of the Swell can be done a stock SUV. The only exception to that I know of is Devil's Racetrack.

BTW, I'll be in on this trip too. I was invited on another forum. (or at least asked to be invited) Not sure about doing it in a blizzard though.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

I assume you would take Buckhorn south to 70 to get towards temple mountain, and that would create a lot of backtracking to come back up that way to visit mexican mountain 2 days later. Unless you want to hike to the landinstrip or one of the two blackboxes, there really isn't that much down the mexican mountain road.

TimB

Homesick
I assume you would take Buckhorn south to 70 to get towards temple mountain, and that would create a lot of backtracking to come back up that way to visit mexican mountain 2 days later. Unless you want to hike to the landinstrip or one of the two blackboxes, there really isn't that much down the mexican mountain road.

A much more interesting route would be North Fork Coal Wash, Eagle Canyon, Then out by Swayzies cabin, or out through Red's Canyon, and then to Temple. You would need extra gas for that route though. And it gets a little beyond what Bone stock would be happy in.:)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Your truck, assuming it's 4 wheel drive, should be fine. Most of the Swell can be done a stock SUV. The only exception to that I know of is Devil's Racetrack.

BTW, I'll be in on this trip too. I was invited on another forum. (or at least asked to be invited) Not sure about doing it in a blizzard though.

It 4 wheel drive an on 35s with gears and a limited slip. I have been down there many times just never for off roading, just hiking and geology.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
A much more interesting route would be North Fork Coal Wash, Eagle Canyon, Then out by Swayzies cabin, or out through Red's Canyon, and then to Temple. You would need extra gas for that route though. And it gets a little beyond what Bone stock would be happy in.:)

definately more interesting, but if you fill up in Ferron you shouldn't have any problem with fuel unless you get poor mileage or have a smallish tank.

We did eva conover (S. fork Coal wash?) , to eagle canyon, then back over Devils Racetrack (N. fork Coal?), over fix it pass, then out cane wash to buckhorn, and out to Huntington and I think I only used 1/2 tank or so.

kkemp

I'd have to agree with that. I wouldn't mind coming down Buckhorn, then over Fixit Pass, Devils Racetrack and then to Temple Mountain. Maybe include Eagle Canyon down though Rod's Valley. There's some good mines in Rod's Valley.

I'm sure Mesha's truck would have no problem on any of it.

TimB

Homesick
definately more interesting, but if you fill up in Ferron you shouldn't have any problem with fuel unless you get poor mileage or have a smallish tank.

We did eva conover (S. fork Coal wash?) , to eagle canyon, then back over Devils Racetrack (N. fork Coal?), over fix it pass, then out cane wash to buckhorn, and out to Huntington and I think I only used 1/2 tank or so.

There are 3 routes there starting from the East - North Coal wash which includes Fix it Pass, Devils Racetrack which includes a portion of North Coal, and South Coal Wash. South Coal wash may be the easiest, but has some dugways that are narrow and might be spooky in slick conditions. I have a PDF of that motorized travel map somewhere - maybe I can figure out how to post it. All those routes have good scenery.

I've also crossed Eagle near Horn Silver wash - the crossing was interesting, but not worth the boring drive on either side.

That map is over 3 meg - I could shrink it but you probably could not see any detail. I cropped the map to what we're talking about.

Attachments

• Devils Racetrack.jpg
    Devils Racetrack.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: