San Rafael Trip

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I'm still planning on it. They are trying to make me go to a conference on that friday.

eprobe

Kkemp;

What's the best way to access S. Coal Wash? Which town would it be best to meet at? Castledale? Ferron? What's in Moore? We need a landmark, possibly a gas station.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Having never been what should I expect for miles to travel per day? My Toyota gets a whopping 15mpg and a has 10 gallon fuel tank so I'm trying to figure out how much extra fuel to carry :D

Man this trip is right around the corner! :cool:

kkemp

Having never been what should I expect for miles to travel per day? My Toyota gets a whopping 15mpg and a has 10 gallon fuel tank so I'm trying to figure out how much extra fuel to carry :D

Man this trip is right around the corner! :cool:

You might want to toss one or two 5 gallon cans of gas in the back if that's the case. You can cover a lot of miles out there, especially in 3 days.

Day 1
Ferron to I-70 is about 42 miles.
Another 44 to Little Wild Horse Canyon.

After that, I don't know where we are heading. Anyway, that's probably roughly half of it, or may a third.

So, I guess I'd plan on going about 200 miles.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Yep 10. When gas is 4.50 a gallon it's really fun filling it up everyday :rolleyes:

I'm going to try an get my fuel cell in by beforehand, but if not I'll just plan on having 3 or 4 jerrycans.

eprobe

Suppose we meet at Gilly's at 8 a.m. on Fri. morning, Feb. 20? And then we could leave for Coal Wash at 9. Would that work for everyone?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It is on the East side of the road (Hwy 10) next to the city park after you drop down the hill into Ferron. Just look for the Sinclair sign.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I might come down and meet you on Friday evening.....that is if you have a tentative area planned for camping.

eprobe

The question is, which side of Little Wild Horse? Inside or outside the Reef? On the map, it looks easier to access Little Wild Horse from the outside, on the road past Goblin Valley. I'd like to camp in that area because we could climb up Little Wild Horse the next morning. However, I don't know what the prospects are for camping areas. And it seems we would be a lilttle more sheltered camping w/in the Reef. Kkemp, are there more areas to camp down Behind the Reef road?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
There is a really nice place on the inside of the reef, I believe it's down wild horse canyon (not lil' wild horse). It's only 15-20 minutes from the LWH and Bell Canyon slot parking lot. I'd be much more interested in hiking Ding and Dang, which are accessed from the same parking area I believe.

The camping on the goblin valley side of the reef doesn't look very good, and would probably be limited to sleeping in a parking lot.

kkemp

There is a really nice place on the inside of the reef, I believe it's down wild horse canyon (not lil' wild horse). It's only 15-20 minutes from the LWH and Bell Canyon slot parking lot. I'd be much more interested in hiking Ding and Dang, which are accessed from the same parking area I believe.

The camping on the goblin valley side of the reef doesn't look very good, and would probably be limited to sleeping in a parking lot.

That's exactly my opinion. The spot Cody mention is a great campsite. There are more down the road too.