Single axle trailer refreshing

The_Lobbster

I did not end up buying the torsion axle I was eyeing on KSL.

What is everybody’s input on leaf vs torsion?

Torsion seems considerably more expensive, but allegedly a smoother ride? If I go leaf, I’ll need to get new leafs as well as shackles and associated hardware to get rid of the janky slider setup it presently has.

I plan to install a drop axle whichever I go with, so I can run 16” wheels and larger, better quality tires without the deck sitting too much higher.

The_Lobbster

Torsions are great if you're worried about shaking the thing that you're towing.
If it's a car hauler put it on leaves. It's cheaper and works just fine.
I plan to haul my Suzuki around, possibly other small cars or SXS. I’ll probably just go that route.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I would have to find my receipts to double check, but I believe that I was just shy of $800 for a 6k axle, leaf springs, wheels and tires, and all the hardware.
I got them from the same place gravy said.

The_Lobbster

After some research, I discovered I can keep the current axle and just update the hubs, so I have 8 lug stuff on order, along with new leafs. So long as the spindles aren’t trashed and pitted when I disassemble, I’ll just stay with the current axle for now.

That brings me to my next question…..I’ll be running 16”, 8 lug wheels. I seem to see a lot of people having issues with blowouts on actual trailer tires, lots of times they’re cheap, made in China.

I’ve seen some people swear that LT tires are better for their trailer. I’ve read both arguments for and against. Obviously the load rating needs to exceed my trailer’s weight, but I’m wondering if running a quality, American made 14 ply LT tire would be sufficient for this thing. Thoughts?

Edit: I’m also thinking about running GM 8 lug alloy wheels, if anybody has any advice for or against that.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
After some research, I discovered I can keep the current axle and just update the hubs, so I have 8 lug stuff on order, along with new leafs. So long as the spindles aren’t trashed and pitted when I disassemble, I’ll just stay with the current axle for now.

That brings me to my next question…..I’ll be running 16”, 8 lug wheels. I seem to see a lot of people having issues with blowouts on actual trailer tires, lots of times they’re cheap, made in China.

I’ve seen some people swear that LT tires are better for their trailer. I’ve read both arguments for and against. Obviously the load rating needs to exceed my trailer’s weight, but I’m wondering if running a quality, American made 14 ply LT tire would be sufficient for this thing. Thoughts?

Edit: I’m also thinking about running GM 8 lug alloy wheels, if anybody has any advice for or against that.
I’ve run Dodge alloys on a trailer before. They were fine for my needs.

For tires, I prefer to go overkill on load rating, so you can run them at lower pressure and they still keep cool. 16 ply load range H should do the trick.

Transeagle ST Radial All Steel Heavy Duty Premium Trailer Radial Tire-ST235/85R16 235/85/16 235/85-16 133/128L Load Range H LRH 16-Ply BSW Black Side Wall https://a.co/d/5zE7tSj

Don’t bother taking them to Walmart for mounting, their tire machines use plastic clips that will break when it sees a real man’s tire like this. Have to take them to an actual tire shop for mounting.

The_Lobbster

8 lug hubs arrived. This 7,000 lb stuff is huge!

Also picked up some 4” drop spindles. These are typically around $110 on etrailer. I found these on another site for $40, so I bought them just to have. I want to keep the deck low, but not sure if these would make it too low with the dovetail. I plan on running 235/80r16’s, so I’ll have to see how it sits once I get the new wheels installed on the current straight spindles.

IMG_0582.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg

The_Lobbster

Have you got shackles?
I ended up ordering new leaf springs with the slipper rear setup. I need to repair or replace the ghetto front “slider” hanger, which has failed horribly. The slots have wallered out to the point it’s just one huge hole. I’ll be sure to take some pix of that repair too to show the details.
The reason I chose these vs conventional leafs is that I hopefully wont have any more deck height as I would by adding shackles.

IMG_0633.jpeg

The_Lobbster

After removing the axle, and examining the leaf hole, I suspect that this trailer has been altered by whoever owned it in the past 45 years. The holes appear to have been filed and or drilled out?

IMG_0637.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m not saying I condone drinking and fabbing, but even when I do, I know not to do crap like this!

I was going to try to repair it, but I think I’m going to just chop the hangers off and start fresh. Better safe than sorry.
My cuts and welds are always buttery smooth when I’m partaking BeWilder©️ beer. Seems like the previous owner of this trailer was in dire need of a frosty treat from @Cody s magical teat.

The_Lobbster

Well crap

I bought some GM alloys from Gravy. Went to test fit, and discovered the center bore doesn’t clear my 8 lug hubs. Guess I better measure again before I buy any more wheels.

IMG_0660.jpegIMG_0652.jpeg

Last edited: