Skippys Build Thread

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So i have been slowly gathering parts for my build lately and i think i have enough parts to start a build thread i have never done a build thread before so bare with me here the build plans are:

14 bolt rear and HPdana 44 front both with 5.13 gears and grizzley lockers

4-link rear with coil springs

spring over in front with rubicon express springs

37s or 40s i have a set of 37" MTRs and a set of 40 inch sticky treps but becuz the 44 front i think im gonna stick with the 37s til i build a 60

raceline beadlocks

Corbeau baja SS seats

hydro assist for now

Cage, Tube fenders,

shooting for a 110 inch wheelbase but we will start building and see where it ends up for sure

Pic of what we got done last night:

utf-8BMDkyMTEwMjExMC5qcGc.jpg

sorry for the cell phone pic the rest will be taken with my new dslr

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
No its a close friend of mines garage...... Alot of guys on here might know him He used to drive a Maxxis Buggy his name is Aron Clough

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So last night I didnt get a whole lot done I just cleaned up the frame and when we pulled off the previous owners side steps the frame was rusted strait through :ugh: so that made the decision easy to back half it now i just need to order more tube it will be a few days before i get back out to work on it some more

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
ok so there is nothing to monumental going on yet i got the gas tank pulled and started cleaning up all my axles then my load of stuff came from Randys ring and pinion so i got my axles all set-up and ready to go i left my camera at home when we did the install but i have a pic of my stack of parts wich i find quite amusing

Picture009.jpg

Hopefully I can really start cutting some stuff up and make some good progress this next week

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So I have been slacking pretty bad the last little while but i was able to make some good progress this last saturday. I got the front axle in, cut the body and started mocking up the rear axle and frame design. There is still a long ways to go but it feels good to make progress

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzAtMjAxMDEyMTEtMTUyMy5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzEtMjAxMDEyMTEtMTUyMy5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjktMjAxMDEyMTEtMTIzNS5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Looks good, i like the Coils in the rear, high proformance and original one of kind YJ. I would build the link ends with johnny joints or the like if you already arent. That way you'll make it a soild ride no raddles. Are you planning to keep the engine and drivetrain or are you doing a swap?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Thanks guys the drivetrain for right now is staying the way it is. Its not ideal but we will see how it goes a V8 will be in the future but im not sure how far yet i will be turboing the 2.5 thats in it and doing a 4 to 1 in the t case so it should do ok for a 4 cylinder

iamsparticus

Oh yeah a turbod 2.5 and 4 to one should be a good combo just hope teh tranny is up to the power with out blowing up, but if it happens just means you it needed to be replaced, right

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
yeah when that happens its either time to swap in an auto or just do the V8 swap then. It all honestly depends on the money tree at that point but the friend who is helping do the tube work and were using his shop he has had 2 turboed 2.5 liter jeeps and has loved them and competed with both so hopefully it holds together he never had a issue so keep your fingers crossed

iamsparticus

Yeah i hope so i like the combo, im always a fan of small light weight powertrains, they last and have less wear. I Personally would go with a auto, more crawl power and usually stronger depending on what you put in, put i can't wait to see it done keep us posted

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
dude i turn 39.5x16.5 wide pitbull rockers with my 2.5 with only 5.38 gears just fine lol i have not found one thing i couldnt romp up, or crawl with a little clutch action, the trick to keeping your clutch working is a leaky rear main to keep it lubed haha, yeah the 4-1 will make the world of difference!

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am gonna be out there hopefully tomorrow to work on it some more and i will take pics with my real camera this time and probably replace the pics i have posted already with new ones

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So with the holidays being so close progress has slowed a bit I got my knuckles milled so they are perfectly flat and got them both drilled and tapped for my high steer arms I bought one of the machinist lunch at my dads work and he did it all for me including drilling and tapping all the weld in inserts for my links......I love having a machine shop at my disposal

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzItMjAxMDEyMjMtMTQ1My5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzMtMjAxMDEyMjMtMTQ1NS5qcGc.jpg

and i have to say thanks to DaveB for the sweet deal on the knuckles

And now i just wait and see what santa clause brought me for the Jeep hopefully have some big updates this next weekend

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Ok so i have been seriously slacking on the updates.....So far i have got the front all put together and sitting on the ground ready to rock and roll as far as the rear end goes i got my frame boxed back in and got the coil mounts in place and welded the rear axle is in but is just sitting there with tack welded brackets links so i have made pretty good progress. I will be back later to post pictures of all the new progress.

On a good note i went by 4-wheel parts today and picked up some sweet 16 inch travel shocks

22.jpg

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Well I got alot done this weekend i got the rear end all linked up and sitting on its own weight im getting pretty excited to see where its gonna sit

In this picture the axle is still on jack stands the weight of the jeep is on the lift so it should sit about 4-6 inches lower than this after all is said and done

132-1.jpg

129.jpg

about now all i have to do is finish plumbing my fuel cell, get drivelines built, build my cage and finish the tubework on the rear part of the frame its definately gonna be done for easter