Snowbird expansion in Mineral Basin

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Folks, your attendance is needed next week at the Utah County Board of Adjustment Meeting

Snowbird desires to install ski lifts (and a zip line?) in American Fork Canyon and it would take adjustments zoning from Utah County to make that possible. It's a simple fact that some existing OHV/4x4 access will be lost if this happens. How much we don't know, details are not exactly forthcoming. Be there and let your voice be heard. If you don't feel like talking, be there to show our level of interest in American Fork Canyon.

AFC_BOA_Meeting.jpg

SO WHO WILL BE THERE?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I was just getting on to mention this.
Any input from Kurt as to how much of a sucker punch this is/isn't in regards to all the talks and communications that have been between snowbird and the groups you represent?
Was this expected?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Nope, not expected at all. It's not really a sucker punch, just their continued effort to work the system and as a business you certainly can't blame them... we just can't lose access to public lands. The political smoozing is the tough part. The commissioner of the BOA is one of many public officials that went on Snowbirds private jet to Switzerland to be wined and dines and shown how huge of a ski resort Utah County can expect. None of them have been forthcoming about the trip and it has taken GRAMA requests to get any of them to release info and they still won't answer Who paid? What was the agenda?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bump for tomorrow's meeting!

If anyone would like to carpool, I'll be leaving my house in Sandy at 4PM. Let me know if you would like to hop in.

Just a single day before the BOA meeting we (the public land users) finally have a copy of Snowbirds proposal to Utah County :rolleyes:. To say I'm sick is an understatement. If Utah County allows this to happen, the Mary Ellen Gulch trail and and a good chunk of the Mineral Basin trail will be forever ruined.

Check out these maps :(

Mary_Ellen_proposal.JPG
Mary Ellen Gulch with a lift that extends to below the Live Yankee Mine, a warming hut that might sit on the site of the historic Strong Cabin (which would be torn down). Potential/likely loss of access in the upper canyon area in the summer, certain loss of access in the winter for snowmachines.

Mineral_Basin_proposed.JPG
Mineral Basin with a new much longer lift. This would impact MORE of the Mineral Basin trail and could lead to additional future closures as "user impacts" are discover from Snowbirds new "destination" i.e. out-of-state customers.

They are VERY determined and VERY clear that they want to make this happen. We need your help to prevent this!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Thanks for the intel, Kurt. I'll be there.

To be clear, Snowbird owns the land in question but needs the zoning changed to build their lifts? Is that right?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks for the intel, Kurt. I'll be there.

To be clear, Snowbird owns the land in question but needs the zoning changed to build their lifts? Is that right?

They either own or have leases from other land owners. Yes, they need zoning changed as this area currently wouldn't be appropriate for such activities.

I'll look forward to seeing you Kevin, been a minute.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
If you read the comments on that KSL article, they are universally opposed to snowbird doing this. I hope we can all show up and fight this tonight. This makes me so angry.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I cannot make it tonight :( I was prepared to make a statement as well.

There is a video that shows Bob saying that there is great potential in the development, and that he 'thinks the people should decide what to do. If they say yes, then go for it, if they say no, then we won't'
The people have said 'NO!', and he has not stopped. This only shows that he will continue to lie and push his way forward. If we give an inch he will take 12 miles.

I hope there is a good turnout tonight. I will be there is spirit.