Political So now what

Political discussions within

Agility Customs

Vendor
I feel like one of my primary and most important jobs as a father is to make sure my kids don't make any choices they can't take back. Today it might be making sure they wear their helmets on their motorcycles, tomorrow it might be keeping them from falling off a cliff while hiking and in several years it might be keeping them from suppressing their hormones. I will love them no matter what and be supportive always but there are lines to be drawn when it comes to keeping them safe- even if it's from themselves.

Well said good sir

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
It has been in the last few years that I have had a pretty significant change of views when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues.

I have come to realize that I do not need to understand someone's life experience that is different than mine or have any really concept of the how and why they feel how they do in order to treat them with kindness and respect. Nor do I need to agree with the moral right or wrong of others people's decisions especially when it comes down to their personal relationships with others.

We see a sad amount of hate and fear on this forum when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues.

View attachment 162744

I don’t see fear or hate.

I see people sick of having other peoples (and a very minority of peoples) sexual preferences everywhere we look.
Why does it matter who you stick your Willy in?? I don’t care. Just don’t go telling me about it, or telling my kids about it.
Keep it out of my drinks. Keep it out of my trucks. Keep it out of my clothing.

Special days (and MONTHS) dedicated to a sexual preference is ridiculous.
I don’t advertise everywhere that I go that I have sex with a female. Or that I sleep with other people’s wife’s occasionally. It doesn’t matter.
If I flew a straight pride flag at my house or had stickers on my truck proclaiming straight pride, you don’t think I’d get hate from the LGTBQ people when I’m driving downtown?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I don’t see fear or hate.

I see people sick of having other peoples (and a very minority of peoples) sexual preferences everywhere we look.
Why does it matter who you stick your Willy in?? I don’t care. Just don’t go telling me about it, or telling my kids about it.
Keep it out of my drinks. Keep it out of my trucks. Keep it out of my clothing.

Special days (and MONTHS) dedicated to a sexual preference is ridiculous.
I don’t advertise everywhere that I go that I have sex with a female. Or that I sleep with other people’s wife’s occasionally. It doesn’t matter.
If I flew a straight pride flag at my house or had stickers on my truck proclaiming straight pride, you don’t think I’d get hate from the LGTBQ people when I’m driving downtown?
Exactly. If you have Bank of America sponsoring your sexual preference or your will to castrate yourself, I'm pretty sure you're not "oppressed".

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Absolutely have listened to the song. And in reality it wouldn't have raised anyone's attention if it hadn't been filmed in the location it had (site of lynching, which I agree those involved likely didn't know) while being a song about 'good ole boys' threatening violence
actual lyrics
"Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
'Round here we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won't take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don't"

You realize this same courthouse has been used in the Hannah Montana movie as well as a Disney Christmas special and many other movies and videos without uproar don't you? So if the lyrics are not racist, why is the use of the courthouse in the video racist?

The difficulty with saying gender identity issues should not be addressed with kids that is when the issues arise- are we really helping those kids who struggle but sweeping the issue under the rug?

I never said they should not be adressed. I said they should not be a part of our school curriculum. The only place it should be in our schools is a counselor who is trained to help them through their thought process along with their parents. This push to have schools keep serious matters away from their parents is asinine. Lets turn it the other way. What if we were talking about a gang in school and a counselor was working with a kid.....should the parents know about that?

How do you separate social issues from history? What we learn about in history- the Revolution, Civil War, Civil Right movement- all started as "social issues".
Transgender movement are not even on the same par as the Revolutionary war and Civil rights movement. Nobody is denying any of these people any freedoms. They are free to live how they want........and by living free, it does not mean that everyone has to accept how you live.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I get what you're trying to say, but you're putting things on to Dylan that she isn't guilty of to try and illustrate a different point.

As for the trans youth movement. I think of this in the same light as the trans in sports movement. I don't know. I can see a bit of both sides. My wife and I talked about this last weekend in fact. If either of our boys in their younger years really identified as female and wanted to suppress their hormones and have surgery to "assign" a gender, what would we do. I know what I think I would do, but until it happens in your own house, you really don't know. I'm not going to virtue signal about gender and parenting in situations that I've never been in.

My wife's "sister" is a furry ("sister" weird scenario...my wife's bio dad and step mom were separated because he didn't want more kids (he wasn't there, in any way, for the three kids he did/does have), step mom went to sperm bank and they later reconciled. "sister" does not know that she has no biological relation to her dad or my wife, and since her dad was never really there for my wife, there isn't much of a relationship between any of them). She thinks she's a cat, wears a tail etc. She's now a freshman in HS (in Texas, poor girl) and she's definitely an odd ball and definitely also gives off lesbian vibes. As you said, all kids are confused about who they are, but I'd say -800 odds that she's a lesbian. We're all watching with popcorn to see how it all plays out because mom and dad are the hardest core MAGA conservatives I've ever met. Her dad said that he'd let Trump grab his wife by the p*ssy. Once, within the same run-on sentence, they proclaimed how illegal immigration is the downfall of America and how they all should be sent back, and then how sad they were that the beautiful Mexican family that owned the restaurant down the street that they had been eating at for 20 years just closed down because the parents were deported. Hardcore pro-life, yet her dad never once spent a dime to help her mom (who is a teacher) support her and her brother, and her dad completely abandoned another daughter from an affair he had with another women while his then wife was pregnant with my wife. ANYWAYS, these philosophically and morally consistent Christian conservatives are going to be navigating an interesting situation with their daughter I think, and I'm all here to see how they handle it.
Kids are getting on hormones and having surgeries because it's currently trendy and you have school teachers helping to push them in that direction. None of it is organic.

Sad thing is, they get on hormones then chop parts off and they are still unhappy and realize the mistake they've made. Out comes the rope. That's extremely sad and horrifying. All kids deserve better than this crap.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It has been in the last few years that I have had a pretty significant change of views when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues.

I have come to realize that I do not need to understand someone's life experience that is different than mine or have any really concept of the how and why they feel how they do in order to treat them with kindness and respect. Nor do I need to agree with the moral right or wrong of others people's decisions especially when it comes down to their personal relationships with others.

We see a sad amount of hate and fear on this forum when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues.

View attachment 162744
Y’all throw hate and fear around in a way that makes me think you don’t know what hate and fear really are. Just call everyone racist and get it over with.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Y’all throw hate and fear around in a way that makes me think you don’t know what hate and fear really are. Just call everyone racist and get it over with.
I really wasn't going to weigh in on this, but I agree. People are misconstruing ambivalence and disagreement with "hate" and "fear". Which is a general problem in our discourse these days. We always turn it up to 11 no matter what. For example, I think Joe Biden is a corrupt fool who has never had an original idea in his entire political career, but I don't think he's "evil" or a "threat to democracy". He's just a bad President who deserves the boot.

Same for the 20% of the alphabet people. For all intents and purposes, they're just LARPer's. I don't "hate" or "fear" them, my only real problem is that I wish they'd stop trying to make me play their game. The dorks in the park playing Wizards and Elf's keep their fantasies confined to their group of friend's and don't bother me while I'm shooting hoops. The LGBT whatever, whatever "community" seems to think that everyone else in the world needs to be in on their game. But we don't. And we shouldn't need to be. Writ large Western society doesn't care what you do; just don't bother the rest of us with it.

It's when you start trying to preach that something as basic as the bedrock of biology "isn't real" that people will push back. But its not the people who are pushing back that are the radicals, its the ones trying to suddenly redefine what it means to be human. Had the alphabet people just stuck with saying, "Hey, consenting adults are going to pretend to change their gender by cutting on themselves and wearing women's or men's clothing. Cool?" We all would have said, "Cool. This Bud's for you!" Instead, its become, "HEY! You there minding your own business! LISTEN TO ME!!!! Men can be women, and women can be men!!!! Gender is a CONSTRUCT!!!! If you believe genetics and tens of thousands of years of history instead of me you're a BIGOT!!!!" As such, for anyone with a functioning prefrontal cortex, it should come as no surprise that approach makes a lot of people unhappy. What's the answer?

Nuke it from space.

Or not. All I know is that we've reached a low point in our discourse where everything is politicized (Marx predicted this, BTDubs). We're losing cohesion as a society as we break further and further into "identity groups", "tribes", "sects", whatever; that look at each other as an enemies rather than just someone with another point of view. Until we can find some common cause, be a it a depression, world war, Vulcans landing in Bozeman; I fear we're just going to continue to scream "hate and fear" past each other rather than talking to each other.

Anyway, I'm going to go drink another Deseret IPA and watch The Bear.

Houndoc

I agree that difference in opinions does not equal fear or hate.

I clearly don't have the same political views as many here, doesn't mean I hate anyone.

But the tone of many comments come across as hateful to the LGBTQ community (or at least individuals) and a fear of their influence, intended or not.

And I won't hesitate to call that out.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time

Megan Bartley, University of Utah evolutionary anthropologist and chef, prepared five menu items for museum attendees to try — featuring different kinds of bugs. Her "Bugbar" includes a vanilla-berry protein smoothie made with mealworm powder, a spicy giant water bug pasta salad, a sago worm and black bean chili, lemon-and-black-ant cake, and crunchy cricket granola featuring cricket flour.

:spork::spork::spork:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I really wasn't going to weigh in on this, but I agree. People are misconstruing ambivalence and disagreement with "hate" and "fear". Which is a general problem in our discourse these days. We always turn it up to 11 no matter what. For example, I think Joe Biden is a corrupt fool who has never had an original idea in his entire political career, but I don't think he's "evil" or a "threat to democracy". He's just a bad President who deserves the boot.

Same for the 20% of the alphabet people. For all intents and purposes, they're just LARPer's. I don't "hate" or "fear" them, my only real problem is that I wish they'd stop trying to make me play their game. The dorks in the park playing Wizards and Elf's keep their fantasies confined to their group of friend's and don't bother me while I'm shooting hoops. The LGBT whatever, whatever "community" seems to think that everyone else in the world needs to be in on their game. But we don't. And we shouldn't need to be. Writ large Western society doesn't care what you do; just don't bother the rest of us with it.

It's when you start trying to preach that something as basic as the bedrock of biology "isn't real" that people will push back. But its not the people who are pushing back that are the radicals, its the ones trying to suddenly redefine what it means to be human. Had the alphabet people just stuck with saying, "Hey, consenting adults are going to pretend to change their gender by cutting on themselves and wearing women's or men's clothing. Cool?" We all would have said, "Cool. This Bud's for you!" Instead, its become, "HEY! You there minding your own business! LISTEN TO ME!!!! Men can be women, and women can be men!!!! Gender is a CONSTRUCT!!!! If you believe genetics and tens of thousands of years of history instead of me you're a BIGOT!!!!" As such, for anyone with a functioning prefrontal cortex, it should come as no surprise that approach makes a lot of people unhappy. What's the answer?

Nuke it from space.

Or not. All I know is that we've reached a low point in our discourse where everything is politicized (Marx predicted this, BTDubs). We're losing cohesion as a society as we break further and further into "identity groups", "tribes", "sects", whatever; that look at each other as an enemies rather than just someone with another point of view. Until we can find some common cause, be a it a depression, world war, Vulcans landing in Bozeman; I fear we're just going to continue to scream "hate and fear" past each other rather than talking to each other.

Anyway, I'm going to go drink another Deseret IPA and watch The Bear.
You like really ugly cars, but I think we could still be friends because of this post. Spot on and very well said.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
But the tone of many comments come across as hateful to the LGBTQ community (or at least individuals) and a fear of their influence, intended or not.

And I won't hesitate to call that out.
Cuts both ways though, right? The tone of many people in the LGBT "community" regarding those who hold traditional, broadly held beliefs, morals, and values comes off as pretty hateful. People shouldn't hesitate to call that behavior out either.

As I mentioned earlier, it sure would be nice if everyone toned down the rhetoric. But it can't be ok for one side of the argument to use inflammatory language and actions while the other is expected to bite their tongue and just take it. Particularly when the side firing broadsides is the tiniest minority looking to upend the norms rooted in the entirety of human history.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Cuts both ways though, right? The tone of many people in the LGBT "community" regarding those who hold traditional, broadly held beliefs, morals, and values comes off as pretty hateful. People shouldn't hesitate to call that behavior out either.

As I mentioned earlier, it sure would be nice if everyone toned down the rhetoric. But it can't be ok for one side of the argument to use inflammatory language and actions while the other is expected to bite their tongue and just take it. Particularly when the side firing broadsides is the tiniest minority looking to upend the norms rooted in the entirety of human history.
This sums up what the silent majority is sick of.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
For those scratching their heads about the strong reaction against bud light’s seemingly minor outreach to the trans community, I see it as mirroring the shocking rise of Donald Trump. His personal character is widely acknowledged to be terrible, he’s not that well versed on world matters, he doesn’t have deep and well informed political philosophies, he’s abrasive and looks like a clown. And yet, he shot to the top of politics, managed to b-slap an entire political party, and appears to be immune to anything that would traditionally doom anyone else in politics.

Why? Turns out, he (inadvertently?) tapped into a massive underlying resentment from a huge swath of the population. They were sick of being looked down on, dismissed, insulted, and lectured by elites who represent an America that looks nothing like what they’ve known or want in any way. So he became the channel of their dissatisfaction. Which is too bad because he’s terrible, but nobody else seemed to be able or willing to call out the insanity or do anything about it.

So Trump’s popularity (for the most part) was less about supporting him particularly, but was a way of voicing disdain for the direction of the country and the political correctness that was aiding and abetting the downward slide.

Similarly, Bud Light became the unlucky channel of a similar resentment. It’s not about one can with one person’s face. They just stepped on a land mine a long time in the making.