Political So now what

Political discussions within

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I had a good head shake at this one last night. Old Gov Nuisance shows once again that he knows nothing about economics. McDonalds has 6 months to figure out how to make their own bread or finish automating more of their process. "Livable wage" in fast food should not be a thing.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I had a good head shake at this one last night. Old Gov Nuisance shows once again that he knows nothing about economics. McDonalds has 6 months to figure out how to make their own bread or finish automating more of their process. "Livable wage" in fast food should not be a thing.

No kidding... I'm old enough to remember that fast food jobs were "starter" jobs for kids in high school. How did they end up being a career? Do they offer a 401k match program? X-D

Pike2350

what makes fast food workers more special then others making the state minimum wage?

That is so stupid. The fast food places are likely already paying above minimum wage. Now, all those expenses are going to pushed on the consumer and these people will not be any further ahead.

As much as I prefer smaller eating establishments, I do enjoy the kiosk at McDonald's. At least I know my order is at least KEYED in correctly. It may not be made correctly, but there is never a doubt as to what was ordered.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Last year I was actively looking for a job. The only place I saw paying minimum wage was working for the state or federal government. Every single fast food or warehouse job was upper teens to low 20's.
Recently there was a Federal agency posting for a job in Moab working on building and maintaining trails, I assumed it was single track from the listing. It paid something like $20 an hour. How the hell can you live in Moab and make $20 hr?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I'm not a world studies major.. so can some one give me a quickie on the hamas/jerusalem deal. Is this 9/11 big for them? another day at the office? Russia/Ukraine equivalent? What should we expect in America because of it? Is this WW3? Just a hit to my IRA?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm not a world studies major.. so can some one give me a quickie on the hamas/jerusalem deal. Is this 9/11 big for them? another day at the office? Russia/Ukraine equivalent? What should we expect in America because of it? Is this WW3? Just a hit to my IRA?
Basically, Hamas attacked strong, bulldozer through the fence, powered parachute guys flying in, artillary, door to door executions, etc pretty indiscriminate targeting. One of the targets that's getting a lot of attention is a big concert/rave with lots of foreign folks in attendance. Pictures/video of raped/killed/kidnapped/dismembered/etc victims. Yesterday/today's twitter feed has been Israel's reaction lots of mosques blown up, buildings leveled, trying to find kidnapped people. It's not a good situation. I would say worse than Russia/Ukraine for danger to the civilian sides.

As to what we should expect here... hard to say, it's not like there are millions of illegal aliens have crossed in the last 3 years. Some sources are warning if you're in a big city to be aware.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
This is the worst attack that Israel has experienced since the Yom Kippur War of 1973. And in terms of loss of life, its worse than 9/11 on a per capita basis for Israel. Its also just horrific in terms of how it was carried out. More and more information is coming in that shows that the Hamas terrorists who crossed the border were specifically tasked with finding and killing or kidnapping civilians, specifically women, children and the elderly. This is also the single largest loss of Jewish life in one day since the Holocaust. So, ya know, in a nutshell, this is pretty damn bad.

Complete failure of all Western intelligence agencies to pick up on Hamas planning and building up for the attack. Thats astonishing considering that the Mossad (Israel's equivalent to the CIA) was supposed to have been pretty laser focused on the threat from Palestinian terrorist groups and Iran, which bankrolls them and provides them with arms. As far as comparing this to the Russo-Ukraine war, its a different beast but will likely have farther reaching consequences for the US. Ukraine is an "ally" in the sense that it's in NATO's strategic interest to support her in order to bloody and weaken Russia. Sans that, Ukraine wasn't quite in the US sphere of influence or even really a 'good neighbor' to the EU.

Israel on the other hand has deep, deep ties with the United States specifically and Western Europe more broadly. This is a country that the US has been stalwart in supporting since its inception 75 years ago. They are the single largest recipient of US foreign and military aid. Then you can get into the cultural ties; the US has the second largest Jewish population behind only Israel. Thats not to say that every Jew is a supporter of Israel, but more often than not. Also, Israel is the only functioning democracy in the region. And a vibrant one at that. They are a huge economic partner, something like a top-10 trading partner with the US. Our militaries are deeply integrated, they are one of few top tier non-NATO military partners (along with Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and South Korea).

Will the US get drawn into this? Doubtful. Israel has one of the most competent and best equipped militaries in the world. Remember, this is a country surrounded on three sides by enemies and the sea on the fourth. They were born in war and have fought numerous wars and other conflicts through the decades just to remain in existence. Every Israeli citizen, men and women, are required to serve in the military for two years. So that means everyone has some level of military training, thats a huge pool of reservists to call on. In fact, they've called up 300,000 reservists already. They will crush Hamas in the Gaza strip, but its going to be a long, bloody battle.

The big questions for the US are will Hezbollah in Lebanon enter the fray and what is going to happen with Iran. Hezbollah is armed to the teeth with all sorts of missiles and rockets. Even though Israel has the most advanced and layered air defense system in the world, many people think that if Hezbollah and Hamas were to coordinate their strikes, they could have enough to overwhelm Israel's air defenses and cause massive civilian casualties in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. IF Hezbollah enters and something like that happens, I suspect that the US (and probably France and the UK) will engage Hezbollah targets with cruise missiles and the like.

What happens with Iran is the big wildcard. Iran has bankrolled and signed off on this attack. Iran has been calling for the death of Israel since 1979 and holds it up as the "Little Satan" behind the US's "Big Satan". There is no love lost between the two countries. Israel has the capability to hit Iran. Iran might have the capability to hit Israel. For decades its been a question of who blinks. Well, now we have the worst attack on Israel in 50 years, explicitly endorsed and backed by Iran. Will Israel settle for some special operations attack on an Iranian nuclear facility or Revolutionary Guard installation? Or will they blow up the Ayatollah? Will Iran launch some missiles at Jerusalem or provide Hamas with a dirty bomb? And if that happens, Israel is an unannounced nuclear power...

Finally, is this World War III. Not yet... Very reassuring, I know. A theory that I have is that Russia's invasion was not coordinated with Iran or China; it was just Putin being a bloodthirsty despot with flagging support at home looking for something to distract the population with. It was supposed to be a quick victory, but as its drug on its become a bit of an opportunity for Russia's allies, Iran and China. The US and NATO are pouring massive amounts of military aid into Ukraine (justly, in my opinion) and it is a distraction from other world hotspots. So Iran and China started to think, "maybe now's a good time to knock off our enemies." and they coordinated that Iran would use their terror proxies to attack Israel. This would be another huge draw on western military resources as we will be back stocking Israel just like we are Ukraine (different kinds of arms, but still a big drain). This will play out for awhile (probably a year or more) and then China will invade Taiwan. Thats World War III. Taiwan is the only one of those three countries that we have explicit treaties committing to their defense.

Sorry that wasn't more succinct. But as far as your IRA is concerned, invest in canned food and shotgun shells.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Thank you for taking the time to write all that up, it was pretty extensive, and I recognize the effort.
I understand most of the words individually.. and I can see most of the overall picture. But even with your help, I still don't understand all the who's and what's exactly. But I have never tried to understand the land/economies/beliefs of that side of the world. Only so much can fit in my small brain.

I was never fully on the Trump train.. but I've seen a lot of videos recently of him dealing with other countries, and his no-non sense approach. I am firmly in the camp that he was a preventer of war, and don't think all this nonsense would be happening if he had made it in again.

invest in canned food and shotgun shells.

Done. ;) But I'm sure more can't hurt.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Thank you for taking the time to write all that up, it was pretty extensive, and I recognize the effort.
I understand most of the words individually.. and I can see most of the overall picture. But even with your help, I still don't understand all the who's and what's exactly. But I have never tried to understand the land/economies/beliefs of that side of the world. Only so much can fit in my small brain.
Happy to do it. This was a bit of a brain dump of all the crap I've been thinking about for the past couple of days.
I was never fully on the Trump train.. but I've seen a lot of videos recently of him dealing with other countries, and his no-non sense approach. I am firmly in the camp that he was a preventer of war, and don't think all this nonsense would be happening if he had made it in again.
Opinions vary, but I tend to think that Trump wasn't a "preventer of war" but rather just able to manage the status quo because he was a believer in American hard power (the military). And sure, there was a bit of the fact that he was unpredictable so potentially hostile nations couldn't be sure.
Biden, on the other hand, is not an advocate of hard power and extends the Obama-era mentality that the US should be less involved in the world. Add to that his deteriorating mental state and the fact that his administration is only focused on domestic cultural issues and its prime time for bad actors to take advantage.

The US needs to sober the **** up and realize that politics, and particularly geopolitics, is not playground dodgeball. This is a serious time that calls for serious leaders. A rerun of the Biden-Trump clown show and its down ballot retardery is the worst thing that can happen right now. Trump may have been able to maintain the status quo of global peace when he was in office, but he is not even close to competent enough to be a peace maker or god forbid, wartime leader. And, well, Biden just needs a warm glass of milk and a blanket.
Done. ;) But I'm sure more can't hurt.
One more thing I forgot to mention, oil prices are going to skyrocket.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Where does this fit in with Ancient Rome though?
Actually, the Roman’s were the ones who initially drew the delineation of the disputed territory on the Gaza Strip. They needed a way, even back then, to divide the Palestinians and the Israelites so their bickering would distract the Senate leaders back home while the Caesar’s conducted their underhanded campaigns abroad. Yes, it does all relate back to Rome. *

*I just made all that up

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Actually, the Roman’s were the ones who initially drew the delineation of the disputed territory on the Gaza Strip. They needed a way, even back then, to divide the Palestinians and the Israelites so their bickering would distract the Senate leaders back home while the Caesar’s conducted their underhanded campaigns abroad. Yes, it does all relate back to Rome. *

*I just made all that up

I actually think you are more correct than you think you are?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
IMG_0010.jpeg

Hezbollah is also funded and armed by Iran.

Interestingly enough my parents were supposed to go to Jordan and Israel next week for a 14 day tour/vacation. Another group with the same tour company is there now and I'm super grateful that my parents aren't caught up in this mess and stuck over there.

Also, if anyone has a good book rec about the modern history of the nation of Israel I'd appreciate it. I'd like to understand how the modern state was created better.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Most advanced defense system gets taken out by unseen paragliders? Yea right.
In the simplest of terms, most air defense systems are calibrated to cover certain altitudes and speeds (referred to as gates). Most Integrated Air Defense Systems (IADS), especially Israel's, are designed to detect and destroy fast, high flying objects like missiles, rockets, and aircraft. Hamas exploited this vulnerability by using slow, low flying paragliders over very short distances (basically less than a mile, just hopping over the border). Much like China floated balloons through NORAD airspace because our gates weren't set to detect at that low of speed. Again, this wasn't so much a failing of Israeli IADS which has been successfully intercepting something like 70% of the incoming rockets, but rather of the intelligence gathering on the ground.

Last edited: