Political So now what

Political discussions within

Houndoc

the more stuff like this happens the more I’m open to the simulation theory. What’s so funny about a old person failing apart on stage.

I really don't hear anyone in the media defending him (my main news source being left of center NPR) and most Democrats don't want him to run for re-election.

But just as many Republicans really want someone besides Trump, it is very hard to remove the person at the top of the party (especially when they are the current president.)

Most surveys show roughly 70% of voters want a different option than Trump and Biden, but not looking like we will get our wish.

And doesn't make sense for either party. Almost any Democrat who is not Biden would fairly easily beat Trump and most Republicans besides Trump would have easily been able to beat Biden.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have had some issues with Mike Lee's decisions over the years, but he hits this nail right on the head with what I feel is one of the largest issues in DC. Almost every person who spends more than one term switches from watching the peoples interest to watching my own interest.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
It's doesn't matter what Mike Lee actually thinks because Trump said he didn't want the immigration deal so they (the real patriots) are going to all line up behind him and vote no.

The blue team will say that they tried to pass something tenable like repubs wanted, but then they backed out last minute so.

Typical of politics.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
It's doesn't matter what Mike Lee actually thinks because Trump said he didn't want the immigration deal so they (the real patriots) are going to all line up behind him and vote no.

The blue team will say that they tried to pass something tenable like repubs wanted, but then they backed out last minute so.

Typical of politics.
This. Trump doesn't want an immigration deal because of the optics, so rather than get something done, we'll get nothing.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Politician: "We made this law, but I don't want my kids to have to follow it, so we should change it"

Saw that and as a father that had 3 girls get their license this year, I think it ought to change. Dumb law for the nannies in the legislature to feel like they are doing something.

ID Bronco

This. Trump doesn't want an immigration deal because of the optics, so rather than get something done, we'll get nothing.
A lot of bad legislation has been passed just so they can say they did "something". As I think of it, probably all of it came from that starting point.

"we have to do something"

Tonkaman

Saw that and as a father that had 3 girls get their license this year, I think it ought to change. Dumb law for the nannies in the legislature to feel like they are doing something.
Wait….you have 3 girls that will get their license in the same year?!! 😳 Dang!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
if we're lucky we get nothing, what we will really get is more debt with a lot of nothing.
We, meaning traditional conservatives, libertarians, and moderates, want to see the flow of illegal immigrants stopped and the border to be secure in an enduring way. Yes, according to current Federal laws that are on the books, that's how it should be. But, administration after administration has found loopholes to get around this; the most egregious being the Biden administration. We have seen something on the order of 3-5 million illegal crossings in the past three years. The only way to close these loopholes is with legislation, meaning Congress has to act.

This is where we have to start thinking about realpolitik. Democrats want an open border for various reasons, but they are seeing that the current crisis is bad for Biden's reelection campaign; so they are currently willing to come to the table and make a deal. Its not perfect (no bill is), but its better than what we have now. And if a bill is passed today, and Biden signs it into law, its a whole lot easier to hold this administration accountable going forward. Additionally, it does get some of the priorities that Republicans want; such as changes to the asylum process and portions of the third country requirements. Now, if members of the Trump Party (aka Republicans In Name Only; and not actual conservatives in ideology) skuttle this deal because it lessens the crisis at the border, removes a key Trump yelling point from the table, and makes Biden look "good"; then we are left with the status quo of a nominally open border.

So what happens in November when Biden wins reelection? Democrats will walk away from the table and there will be no chance of a deal of any kind and by 2029, when Biden finally gets wheeled from the Oval Office to his grave, we'll have seen something like 10-15 million illegal immigrants enter the country, which will have FAR reaching consequences for our country well beyond $106 billion dollars of debt incurred today.

But wait, you say! Trump will win in November if the border is in crisis! Doubtful, but lets examine that as well. Trump comes into office, and even if he has both houses of Congress in Trump Party hands; no legislation will get passed regarding the border because nothing will be able to get through the Senate with a 60+ majority vote (there's no way the GOP gets 61 seats this round). So unless you're onboard with nuking the filibuster ala Chuck Schumer and Bernie Sanders, its just not going to happen. And then we're back to the Obama-Trump-Biden "Pen and a Phone" executive overreach which will just get wiped out by Gavin Newsom in 2028.

Again, this deal is far from great, but its our best shot in the next four years of stopping the crisis at the border, unless the GOP pulls its head out of its ass and nominates Haley; which it won't.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Wait….you have 3 girls that will get their license in the same year?!! 😳 Dang!
Yea my oldest girls are a year apart in school, girl #3 got her permit at 15 and the others were dragging their feet and got nervous so they were suddenly motivated. 😃 I had 3 new drivers in 2023 and insurance is crazy. The youngest will turn 15 in April so I'm not done yet.

If anyone has insurance recommendations hit me up. I think I'm almost $9000 for a year for 5 cars and that is more than 4 of the cars are worth.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Yea my oldest girls are a year apart in school, girl #3 got her permit at 15 and the others were dragging their feet and got nervous so they were suddenly motivated. 😃 I had 3 new drivers in 2023 and insurance is crazy. The youngest will turn 15 in April so I'm not done yet.

If anyone has insurance recommendations hit me up. I think I'm almost $9000 for a year for 5 cars and that is more than 4 of the cars are worth.
We are at about $5k per year with 4 drivers and 7ish vehicles with State Farm.