Southwest Crawl Fest, Jan 29-30

BonZuki

Southwest Crawlfest
Thanks Rocky Mountain Extreme!!!!

Thanks for all the support that Shane and the Members of Rocky Mountain Extreme have given our Southwest Crawlfest :thumbs:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I might be the only with this thought, but... I couldnt help but notice the significant jump from the one 3 rated trail to the group of 7's and 8's.. No inbetweeners? I'm thinkin my '09 Altima will run the 3 trail.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I noticed that as well, I also noticed that the Winter on The Rocks event has ALL the trails available. What's up?
And then some. If the weather permits there will be a trail that is going on that has been in development the last year. It is called The Squezze Very fun trail up a narrow wash. I just did it around thanksgiving and love it. It is very likely that there will be some body damage on this trail to every rig.
I will be attending this event. Hope to meet some of you there.

ninemmbill

I might be the only with this thought, but... I couldnt help but notice the significant jump from the one 3 rated trail to the group of 7's and 8's.. No inbetweeners? I'm thinkin my '09 Altima will run the 3 trail.

I'm sure one of the organizers will chime in here, but I think they use 2 different rating scales. The Winter on the Rocks uses a 1 - 5 trail rating scale and the Southwest Crawlfest is using a 1 - 10 (?) scale. The trails are the same.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I'm sure one of the organizers will chime in here, but I think they use 2 different rating scales. The Winter on the Rocks uses a 1 - 5 trail rating scale and the Southwest Crawlfest is using a 1 - 10 (?) scale. The trails are the same.

You are right about the rating systems, we are talking about the number of Trails available. WOTR has a larger selection, no big deal, just an observation

BonZuki

Southwest Crawlfest
Trail ratings ?

Youre right we will be adjusting this soon but it shouldnt affect anyone .But if it does i will help them get to the right trail for there rig. Thanks for pointing this out as i did talk to Seth our webmaster about that this morning. He thought it would be better to go to the new rating system but it is still a little hard to get used to.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I don't believe that there are two different scales being used. Judging by the description they sound correct in relation with eachother.

My point is that there is a 'trail difficulty' gap between the 3, and the 7 rated trails..

The Honeymoon trail is graded roads for stock rigs, and the next trail up is Sliplock Gulch; which requires F&R lockers, maximum lift, large tires, and winch recommended. Pretty big gap in required equipment.

BonZuki

Southwest Crawlfest
About 20 trails over 2 days

We are running 10 trails each day Hence the meaning 20 trails over 2 Days .We have 2 extra trails for overflow One Scenic and One Buggy as we have had an overwhelming response of registrants which was expected .We are looking to have around 250+ registrations and we need to have the Extra trails to accommodate the amount of rigs we will be having. We have a lot of things happening and we are excited to have everyone join Us Thanks Steve!

Last edited:

BonZuki

Southwest Crawlfest
Trail Ratings?

These trails are rated based on the average rig and Driver . We all know that there are drivers and rigs that can go through harder trails than the ratings because of driving technique type of rig etc . Most drivers know what trails they are capable of and for those who need assistance I will be glad to assist them in their trail choice or if you have suggestions just call me at 435-215-4516 . An Example The Fault line has been done fully open by several rigs but it comes back to style of driving and rig Tires etc. After looking at them again there is really not much i can do to change things!

Milt 's Mile
Rated: 6
Roads are difficult with considerable erosion damage repaired just enough to be passable. Water in excess of 12″ is possible with mud conditions. Steps not exceeding 24″. Tall tires (33″ plus) with traction added devices (lockers, limited slips) are recommended. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and ground clearance are helpful. Excellent driving skills are recommended. This trail is in a fee area and flags are required. More about this trail »

Fault Line

Rated: 7
Trail consists of rock, sand and considerable slickrock with many steps exceeding 24″. Steep inclines and declines are prevalent. Enhanced off road equipment is required including locking devices (front & rear), tall tires, maximum vehicle ground clearance, and tow hooks. A winch is desirable. Excellent driving skills are required. Vehicle mechanical or body damage is likely. Roll over possibilities exist. More about this trail »

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Hmmm. Milt's Mile.. Didn't notice it's a 6.. I've got 32" M/T's, and 2" lift on my rig, will I be allowed to run Milt's Mile?

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Jason, FWIW We took a stockish Cherrokee (no lockers) on sliplock (only didnt do the big waterfall) and on the west rim, He did everything on west rim except the "optional" bigger stuff. There is plenty of things for you to run. Go look at the trip report Olly did a couple weeks back. That was mostly west rim.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Posted at the same time.. Thanks for the info Tracy.

Screw it.. I registered for Milt's.. I'll shred that trail in the Xterra.

BonZuki

Southwest Crawlfest
The ratings are Guidelines only!

Hmmm. Milt's Mile.. Didn't notice it's a 6.. I've got 32" M/T's, and 2" lift on my rig, will I be allowed to run Milt's Mile?

Milts Mile is not that hard of a trail and we are only going to suggest that people move to another trail if we know they would be holding other people up so you should be fine!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Shiiiiit.. If the Xterra wasn't the wife's, i'd show you what I could do behind the wheel of such a limited vehicle.

:)