Stan Prueitt's new Jeep Project -The Urban Survivors Assault Vehicle/Zombie Hunter

So with the T-Rex in Turbo Snipers capable hands I have been working on my new little Jeep. I have added armor, bumpers, winch and stuff. So here is how it looks so far.
DSCF8116.jpgDSCF8115.jpg

It is all the wrong color though and I have trouble fitting the whole family in it now. The T-rex could seat 6 comfortably, but this can only cram 5 in ther with no room for a snack lunch or a dog.

SOoooooooo I am going to tear it all apart and streatch it a little longer than a CJ8 and paint it Lime Green. I also will put a machine gun ring in the roll cage, add the new bumper/ tire carrier that I am working on, in the rear....and some other do-dads.....;) I will post pictures of our progress.

Last edited:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Well, it does work, It will go, we just can't get it to stop. The stock Jeep Master cylinder would not work because it is set up for disk front and Drum rear( disk= low pressure / high volume, drum=high presure / low volume). So we swapped it out with a New Dodge 3500 Master cylinder(disk front and rear, tons of volume), bolts right up. We extended the push rod, the resivior barly clears the hood(actually had to ding the hood to make it fit). We bled the system and were so excited to finally take it for a test drive. The brakes seemed to hold fine. Good pressure, grat firm pedal. Excellent!! We got out to the street when the brake pedal went to the floor.... fluid everywhere. I guess I forgot to tighten up the banjo bolt enough on the drivers front caliper:(. Dang, razem frazem frakin' flea bearing stupid blepper snizzles!!!!!GGGGRRRRR.... So Alex hopped underneath and tightened every thing up, we leak tested everthing, and bled the system again, and agian, and again.........The brakes are really spongy, and go to the floor the first push and then on the second or third pump they build up nicely, but on that first push they go to the floor.!!!! What the FLip!!!! Tomorrow we will try the power bleeder, but I cant figure this one out. We have bled it so many times and no air is coming out!!??? GRRRRR!

gertsch

Yes the brakes have been the most frustrating thing on this whole build! Who knew six calipers would give us so much freakin trouble! Tonight we shall use the power bleeder and hopefully all will be well. (fingers crossed). Other then that at this point it at least makes a sweet lawn or ornament the can drive just not stop.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!
Alex was brilliant and discovered the trick to get the brakes working! Wow after 3 days of struggles they work. So last night at 11:00 we took it for a spin!

HOLY DIVER!!!! It drives so nice!!

Yes we only had it up to 45 so that we could make sure the brakes work, but wow, what a smoot drive. Those air bags rock. It drove straight, true, no wobble,turned great, stopped well, and stoped straight even with no hands on the wheel. No wierd vibrations, just smooth! I can't wait to get home from work today to test it out alittle more. My neighbors probalby hate me right now cause Alex and I were hootin' and hollering last night at 11:00 at night!!! What a rush.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
So on the technical side, we had used a power bleeder, adjusted the push rod and
still no brakes. It would go to the floor each time. I swapped out the MC with
another new one bleed all the line again and still pedal to the floor.
GGRRRR!!!!

Alex said lets pull the front calipers off and flip them
upside down to see if there is an air pockes that just wont bleed out. Sure
enough, we fliped them upside down and a pocket of air came out. Bled them
thouroughly and reinstalled.

Went to the pedal and TA DA!!!! Firm!! I
can't believe that was it after all this time.
shaking.gif

sixstringsteve

I had the same problem, only mine were installed upside down. Once my calipers were right-side up, everything worked. Imagine that! Congrats on getting it going.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I guess that means they were on upside down to begin with...the bleeder on the bottom won't let the air out.

Good catch!

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
The rear axles were built by Ventures Truck here in Ogden and they are awesome. The front HP dana 44 was built by $#&@@!#@! another shop you all may know. It was not put together well. We have had numerous problems with it. Wrong rotors, Ball joints way out of wack, Lug sockets on drives side all stripped and out of round ( had to tack the lugs in place), 2 lugs on the passenger side stripped, and wrong calipers. The position of the caliipers puts the bleeder at the 4 o'clock position. not really straight down, but not up either.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
We got it figured out and all it's super I loved driving it!! It was a riot!

When He was driving I sat in the very last bench seat. That was cool, I felt like a kid. It is raised up high enough so that you can operate the machine gun on top ( soon to be added) with no problem. Bring on the Zombies!!!!!!!!:bryson:
:bryson:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I can't wait to hopefully see this thing in person. Nice work getting it together so quick guys and not cutting corners to get there.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
I witnessed Stan out on a drive tonight, this beast looks great.
Yeah that was just before we got pulled over!!!! :mad:
My family wanted to go with me for a test driver so we headed out to drive it around and see how it felt and handled. It handled great. Very smooth until South Ogden's finest saw me go by and he flipped a U turn and came after me. GREAT!!!! It was the same cop that gave me a hassle when I was bringing home my new trailer and it did not have tags. He pulled me over because i did not have mud flaps. I told him they were at home and we were just out in the neighborhood testing out the new vehicle. Then he got picky and said my third break light was wrong, that i did not have fenders covering all of the rear wheels. I told him that it was still under construction and the fenders were coming but I wanted to test drive it a bit first. Then when he saw my registration and safetly inspection he got upset. " how could you have this safety inspected when you don't have your State Highway inspection certificate". I tried to expalin that it was inspected before i started the build. He acted as if I was lying to him. He said that any time you weld to the frame you have to have a Highway Patrol inspection and certification. I said then that means about 30% of all 4x4 that have a long arm suspension are illegal because they have had brakets welded on to the frame. He went back to his car and we sat there for 40 mins!!!!! Finally he came back out and gave me a ticket for " unsafe Vehicle" He asked me to sign the ticket and then call the courts. I asked how much the fine was. He could not tell me. I said I am not going to sign a ticket where I am admitting guilt without knowing the fines. I told him that I am a retired NMMP State Trooper from NM and we never ask anyone to sign anything until they know thier options, pay the fine or appear in court. Things are not that way in Utah he said. I signed the ticket. and he said we had to go straight home.

So I did, I drove straight home. Now get this He came by my house 15 min later to make sure I was there. I was out working on the Jeep when he came by the first time, so I just waved, then he came by about 45 min later, I was still out there working. He got out and came up to me and asked if I had taken care of my trailer and all. Then he told me that he thought i was lying. I said I have all the paper work, " do you want to see it?" He was there for about 30 mins. Well, We left on a good note, but I guess I have to finishe everything on this rig and then take it to the UHP and get it "certified" Man , I miss New Mexico. Almost all Rock buggies are street legal down there. No need to trailer your buggy everywhere, just drive it. In NM as long as you have lights at the right level, signals, muffler, breaks on each axle, and some sort of windshield (googles work) your vehicle can be street legal. Dang what a drag this is. I wonder how much my fine will be?:(