Stan Prueitt's new Jeep Project -The Urban Survivors Assault Vehicle/Zombie Hunter

So with the T-Rex in Turbo Snipers capable hands I have been working on my new little Jeep. I have added armor, bumpers, winch and stuff. So here is how it looks so far.
DSCF8116.jpgDSCF8115.jpg

It is all the wrong color though and I have trouble fitting the whole family in it now. The T-rex could seat 6 comfortably, but this can only cram 5 in ther with no room for a snack lunch or a dog.

SOoooooooo I am going to tear it all apart and streatch it a little longer than a CJ8 and paint it Lime Green. I also will put a machine gun ring in the roll cage, add the new bumper/ tire carrier that I am working on, in the rear....and some other do-dads.....;) I will post pictures of our progress.

Last edited:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
That makes perfect sense! Please excuse my ignorance, but could you please explain the ins and outs of the "walking beam" suspension?
It tries to keep equal pressure on all the back tires at all times. So when the middle axle on one side gets pushed up, it pushes down on the rear axle proportionatly to keep the traction on the ground. but inseat od a solid leaf as the walking beam, I am using air bags. When the middel axle goes up it send air pressure through a 1/2 in hose to the rear bag exerting pressure down on it. and visa versa, when you push up on the rear, the middle axle gets pressure to extend that axle down to the ground for pressure. Soni Honiger perfected this with air bags in the 4x4 Scorpion tube buggies, however, he crossed the lines so that when drivers side front got pushed up, it sent pressure to the rear passengers side to help keep the vehicle stable and increas contact patch. With those scorpions it is hard to lift a tire off the ground, he always seems to have a very solid 4 on the floor. Another company started doing this with Range Rovers.

LT.

lol holy shit! who are the 12 people who voted that u keep it 4x4??? that thing is gonna be crazy!

I voted to keep it 4X4. Easier, cheaper, lighter, and parts availability is more readily available. Never mind less parts to begin with. One less complicated drive shaft, 10 less joints, two less tires, one less axle and a heck of a lot less tire scrubbing. If it was my vehicle that is why I would only build it 4x4. Not to mention the engine may be over taxed with the extra weight, and drive line. Just my opinion but, I figured most were going to vote 6X6 and I really enjoy being a rebel.

LT.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I voted to keep it 4X4. Easier, cheaper, lighter, and parts availability is more readily available. Never mind less parts to begin with. One less complicated drive shaft, 10 less joints, two less tires, one less axle and a heck of a lot less tire scrubbing. If it was my vehicle that is why I would only build it 4x4. Not to mention the engine may be over taxed with the extra weight, and drive line. Just my opinion but, I figured most were going to vote 6X6 and I really enjoy being a rebel.

LT.

I also voted keep it 4x4 I just dont see the benefits of having a 6x6 being worth the extra work and money and parts and the added complexity but none the less this is awesome and the work is amazing its just not my style

sixstringsteve

I also voted keep it 4x4 I just dont see the benefits of having a 6x6 being worth the extra work and money and parts and the added complexity but none the less this is awesome and the work is amazing its just not my style

x2, I voted 4x4 for the exact same reasons. Loving the build though, it's very unique and well-done.

gertsch

I voted 6x6 cause well one I'm helping build the thing. Two everyone has a 4x4 TJ. I could never find mine in a parking lot and it ea multicolored! Lol! Anyways two each his own? Right? Two or too?

gertsch

That's right too. It was late and I was/still super tired. You will find out what we accomplished yesterday as soon as Stan posts the pictures!

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
It all started 15 year ago when I had my 6x6 AATV and my buddies were racing around with their 4x4 ATVs. They were faster but when we can to a huge log across the road I crawled right over it and no one else could. Then I built the T-Rex 6x6. I wheeled so many times with comparable Extreme Dodges and other full size rigs and almost hands down I could go places thaey could not. On one extreme incline several buggies were trying to get up and My huge heavy rig came along and walked right up a 57 degree slab of rock. After that everyone tried and no one made it. At one rock crawl in 2005, I showed up against a bunch of rock buggies and they all laughted at me,untill I took first place. In 2004 in Top Truck Challenge I took first place in the ROcks, first place in the tow test, second place in the mud bog, second fastes run on the hill climb, and was one of 3 vehicles to come out the outher end of the tank trap with a vehicle that was still running despite haveing the smallest tires in the bunch. The benifits of 6x6 is tons more traction, more rubber on the trail, less places to hang up, and no matter how tough the trail, I will almost always have 4 on the floor.

However, the T-Rex had it drawbacks, the ROckwells made it heavy, 3500 lbs in just axles and tires, it was long and tall, and it did not turn well. It had its few obstacles that gave it trouble. So to do 6x6 right you need to do like the Patey Borthers did, 6x6 Jeep with unimog axles and 6 wheel steering. That thing was increadible. He could beat anyone up Potato Salad hill, forwards, backwards, sideways(crabwalk), it was nuts. So to make a perfect 6x6 it has to be light, still have the same 6x6 traction, and better steering. I learned alot with the T-Rex, but it proved to me that any comparable Dodge 4x4 that was built to the hilt could not compare to the T-Rex as far as offroad performance.

In addition, when I worked back in Los Alamos at the Weapons Lab on of my projects was to build the Pu (plutonim) heat source bearings that went in to the Mars Rover ( Heat sorces are used to keep the moveing parts moving in extreme cold temparatures). NASA studied what platform would be best in an environment with no roads. Yes you guessed it, they found that a 6x6 was the most effective, offroad platform.... so if it good enough for them, it is good enough for me... :)

Now about this Jeep, This is not going to be an extreme wheeling machine. The main reason it is 6x6 is because I needed to carry 4 kids, plus dog, and still have some room for a picnic. This will only have mild articulation, no high HP motor, NO six wheel steering (got to keep it street legal) , and no big tires. This one is designed as a mild trail rig. It does have the majic wheel base plus two. I am surprised that LT. is still a non-beleiver even after all the times we have gone wheeling and we have proven the 6x6 capabilities.... you just be a hater LT...:rofl: ....kidding.....

Well, I took the day off and took to work on the Jeep.

Here is the Tuff Country Suspension parts in:

DSCF8588.jpgDSCF8589.jpg

I burned in the Track bar mounts, and the only piece that needs to be burned in is the carrier bearing mount.

Next I loaded it up to take to Alex's house, His father is a sheet metal guy, and has all the breaks, shears, and benders and such.

DSCF8590.jpg

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Now at Alex's house he has all sort of cool tools, Tractors come in handy:

We placed the body on to the frame and made all the necessary trimming, cuts, assess panels, and fussed with it for a while to get it in place.

Next we started haking up Alex's old TJ body (Sally).

Then we fussed with it for a while to get it on. That was alot of work for one day. This weekend we will do the sheet metal, welding, build the acess boxes, and install the drive shafts from Tom. I have the front and the middle so far.

DSCF8591.jpg
DSCF8593.jpgDSCF8592.jpgDSCF8595.jpgDSCF8596.jpgDSCF8598.jpgDSCF8600.jpgDSCF8601.jpg

Badger

I am the Brute squad
One question for you. I realize most of the force from the track bar is kind of a push and pull side load. I was wondering if that box area you have it mounted to is also going to see some up and down force. I was thinking you might want to put a gusset from the box to the up to the top of the frame rail. I see your air lines are there but you could just leave the bottom corner out allowing them to still be run there.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
One question for you. I realize most of the force from the track bar is kind of a push and pull side load. I was wondering if that box area you have it mounted to is also going to see some up and down force. I was thinking you might want to put a gusset from the box to the up to the top of the frame rail. I see your air lines are there but you could just leave the bottom corner out allowing them to still be run there.

Good question, We had hoped to do that, but the body tub sits down in between the frame rails so we already had to cut holes in the tub to allow what ever is attached to the frame rail side stick out. That is why I built that box to get the track bars parallel to the axle, out away from the airbag, and attached to the frame rail where is would be strongest. It is a tight fit under there, not much room. A truck would be easier to convert to 6x6 since the body sits on top of the frame, but Jeeps sit low down in between the rails, This has caused us added work and confined our space.
good question, and thanks for the feed back, I am always looking for good ideas. Often you get so close to a project it is good to have other eyes on it.

Thanks.
Thanks.

Last edited:

LT.

I don't think I am much of a hater. Lol. I remember pulling you out once with my little old 4x4 in the snow. I know there is a time and a place for a 6x6 but, for the most part I think a 4x4 is better. Remember when you broke you middle shaft? That made you a front wheel drive rig. Your rig was so heavy none of us could move you out of the way. We had to leave it where it broke, head into town for some tools and then come back to fix it. I really love wheeling with Stan because he can always pull me out when I get into trouble. But, when a 6x6 breaks, it is nearly impossible to move it. Too heavy, too long, too big. Look at how big your tow rig had to be to haul the last 6x6 around. I really love where this project is headed. I think you have a far superior rig this time around than the last rig. You have solved a lot of the problems the last rig had. Mainly the weight, and maneuverability. I think this jeep is going to continue with the 6x6 legacy and maybe even suprise you as to its capabilities. I can't wait till I can check it out.

LT.