Stan Prueitt's new Jeep Project -The Urban Survivors Assault Vehicle/Zombie Hunter

So with the T-Rex in Turbo Snipers capable hands I have been working on my new little Jeep. I have added armor, bumpers, winch and stuff. So here is how it looks so far.
DSCF8116.jpgDSCF8115.jpg

It is all the wrong color though and I have trouble fitting the whole family in it now. The T-rex could seat 6 comfortably, but this can only cram 5 in ther with no room for a snack lunch or a dog.

SOoooooooo I am going to tear it all apart and streatch it a little longer than a CJ8 and paint it Lime Green. I also will put a machine gun ring in the roll cage, add the new bumper/ tire carrier that I am working on, in the rear....and some other do-dads.....;) I will post pictures of our progress.

Last edited:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
I don't think I am much of a hater. Lol. I remember pulling you out once with my little old 4x4 in the snow. I know there is a time and a place for a 6x6 but, for the most part I think a 4x4 is better. Remember when you broke you middle shaft? That made you a front wheel drive rig. Your rig was so heavy none of us could move you out of the way. We had to leave it where it broke, head into town for some tools and then come back to fix it. I really love wheeling with Stan because he can always pull me out when I get into trouble. But, when a 6x6 breaks, it is nearly impossible to move it. Too heavy, too long, too big. Look at how big your tow rig had to be to haul the last 6x6 around. I really love where this project is headed. I think you have a far superior rig this time around than the last rig. You have solved a lot of the problems the last rig had. Mainly the weight, and maneuverability. I think this jeep is going to continue with the 6x6 legacy and maybe even suprise you as to its capabilities. I can't wait till I can check it out.

LT.

Yep I remember that day we we trying to get to our ranch in the winter time. YoOu dared me to try and go through this deep section of snow. Here are the pictures. one picture is looking down at my 42" Swamper and there was still at lest two feet of snow under that. You pulled me out while you were on the hard pack, it took a couple of yanks.

The drive shaft I broke was on Dump Bump. Done Dump Bump so many times but one time the middle axles CV gave way. We just backed down and waited there in that parking area to get the spare drive shaft which we left at camp, so we were not stranded in the trail, but forgot our spare parts. Other than that the T-Rex has never been stuck on a trail and never had to be towed out any where.

trexsnow20077.JPG
trexsnow200701.JPG As far as weight it is heavy at 9600 pounds, and 3400 of that is axles, and wheels. It is heavy but comparing it to a Hummer that is at 8500 pounds and only 4 wheel drive the T-Rex is not too bad. Beside I have pulled 6 hummers out of bad situations. The T-Rex was best at rescueing vehicles, We have pulled out 48 vehicles that I can remember, 4 from Pritchet, and 7 vehicles out of the Tank Trap at TTC.

LT.

Yep I remember that day we we trying to get to our ranch in the winter time. YoOu dared me to try and go through this deep section of snow. Here are the pictures. one picture is looking down at my 42" Swamper and there was still at lest two feet of snow under that. You pulled me out while you were on the hard pack, it took a couple of yanks.

The drive shaft I broke was on Dump Bump. Done Dump Bump so many times but one time the middle axles CV gave way. We just backed down and waited there in that parking area to get the spare drive shaft which we left at camp, so we were not stranded in the trail, but forgot our spare parts. Other than that the T-Rex has never been stuck on a trail and never had to be towed out any where.

View attachment 72534
View attachment 72535 As far as weight it is heavy at 9600 pounds, and 3400 of that is axles, and wheels. It is heavy but comparing it to a Hummer that is at 8500 pounds and only 4 wheel drive the T-Rex is not too bad. Beside I have pulled 6 hummers out of bad situations. The T-Rex was best at rescueing vehicles, We have pulled out 48 vehicles that I can remember, 4 from Pritchet, and 7 vehicles out of the Tank Trap at TTC.

Agreed. I still think you have a much better plan with this jeep than you did with the T-Rex. Same strengths as the original T-Rex but, you have solved most of the weakness with this new jeep. You will still have six wheel drive, which really is an awesome idea, but, overall this jeep should be so much lighter, more maneuverable, and over all better suited for the kind of wheeling we like to do. I am very interested in seeing how the rear NP-205 t-case will work as well as the rear drive lines. I don't think I have ever seen anyone else use this kind of an arrangement.

The biggest weakness of the old T-Rex were its weight, and maneuverability. These problems are solved with the new Jeep. I can't wait to see it in action. I wish I was going to see it in action this June. You are gonna have to take lots of video and post it up so I can see it.

LT.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I have another question about maneuverability. Is it legal to make the very rear axle steerable while leaving the middle axle non-steer. Was wondering if you could kind of make it like the tag axle on a dump truck or concrete truck. You know as the truck steers one direction the scrubbing action makes the rear tires steer in the other direction. I know they use springs for returning the the tires back to center and to stabilize them on straights. Could it be made with a solenoid or something to lock it straight if needed.

sixstringsteve

Actually it's not either one, it would be "Anyways, to each his own"

arrgh, I'm a dufus. I've been waiting so long to explain the difference between "too" and "two" that I forgot about "to." Good catch. I love correcting someone, only to find out the info I gave was just as wrong as the original poster. :D

With that out of the way, it's looking great! I forsee this rig being in just as many magazines as your last one.

Incorrect. How Long is a chinaman. get it?
:rofl:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
I have another question about maneuverability. Is it legal to make the very rear axle steerable while leaving the middle axle non-steer. Was wondering if you could kind of make it like the tag axle on a dump truck or concrete truck. You know as the truck steers one direction the scrubbing action makes the rear tires steer in the other direction. I know they use springs for returning the the tires back to center and to stabilize them on straights. Could it be made with a solenoid or something to lock it straight if needed.

Great Idea. Since I have gone with air bags I have given up some of the articulation, but I have added a new level of control, and a true "walking-beam". I will have an on-board compressor with guages and control levers so that I can alter the air pressure as I drive. A future upgrade that I would like to do is get the compressors like they have in the big cement / dump trucks where I could create a vacuume and actually pull up the rear most axle when I am makeing sharp turns on hard surfaces to avond tire scrub. That is an option later down the road when I can afford it.

minisrus

I have never seen a "vacuum" compressor for a tag axle on a big rig. They are either (spring up and air down) , or a wishbone suspension with a separate air bag to lift the tag axle or (air up and air down).

examples:

Ridewe3.jpg

Spring: http://www.heavytruckparts.net/detailview.php?vehicle=33276&vendor=37325&store=1&searchnum=3166464

Air: www.heavytruckparts.net/detailview.php?vehicle=23408&vendor=37325&store=1&searchnum=3166467

However the simpler and cheaper solution would be to dump the air in the rear axle and use a ATV suck down winch to raise it off the ground.

I have built 6 wheel drives using the 205 transfer case and a carrier on the front axle.... but with all the strange drive line angles I run into vibrations at over 70MPH.....

This is a true 6x6 but if I had to do it over again I would build a custom rear cover for the front axle with a second pinion to drive the rear axle and then run a short drive line and a reverse rotating gear in the rear axle.

Attachments

• Limo 085.jpg
    Limo 085.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
I have never seen a "vacuum" compressor for a tag axle on a big rig. They are either (spring up and air down) , or a wishbone suspension with a separate air bag to lift the tag axle or (air up and air down).

examples:

View attachment 72550

Spring: http://www.heavytruckparts.net/detailview.php?vehicle=33276&vendor=37325&store=1&searchnum=3166464

Air: www.heavytruckparts.net/detailview.php?vehicle=23408&vendor=37325&store=1&searchnum=3166467

However the simpler and cheaper solution would be to dump the air in the rear axle and use a ATV suck down winch to raise it off the ground.

I have built 6 wheel drives using the 205 transfer case and a carrier on the front axle.... but with all the strange drive line angles I run into vibrations at over 70MPH.....

This is a true 6x6 but if I had to do it over again I would build a custom rear cover for the front axle with a second pinion to drive the rear axle and then run a short drive line and a reverse rotating gear in the rear axle.

Our first option was the drop box with the two rear axles facing eachother and one axle reverse cut. But the drop box driveshaft flange conversion would have been pricy so we went with the 205.

For the air bags they make a vacuum pump. My dad has one and they would suck that axle up rock solid. They are pricy. Maybe I shoud raid my dads shop and " borrow" it for a while...hee hee.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I had the pleasure of seeing this thing in person on Saturday and it is indeed as awesome as it seems, Stan and Alex are very creative and are building the ultimate zombie survival road tank!

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
@ minirus. Thanks for the winch idea, we had thought of that, it would be alot cheaper, and when I pull up the rear i could release some of the air pressure so that as the rear axle gets winched up it does not increase the pressure in the middle bags and raise the jeep up.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

Good idea, but the problem is that you have to raise the tag off the ground every time you reverse or you will bend and brake steering parts.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have nothing technical to add.
I did see this on the freeway the other day.
Figured you'd get a kick out of it.
photobucket-30306-1336680383349.jpg

photobucket-30626-1336680379304.jpg

(notice: my wife was driving)