1994 Isuzu Trooper

You can read about my rebuild here: Project: Stratotrooper

Engine: Isuzu 6V1D-W Advanced
3.2L DOHC V6 w/SOHC Plenum and Multec-2 Injectors

Transmission: Stock AISIN 5-Speed Manual

Transfer Case: Revolution 3.1:1 Low Range Gears

Front Axle: Stock, AISIN manual hubs

Rear Axle: Stock LSD

Suspension: Old Man Emu Dakar 2" lift coils in rear, front torsion bars cranked to match lift and upper ball joints flipped, OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks at all four corners

Steering: Stock

Wheels and Tires: 255/75 BF Goodrich MT KO2's on 17" Isuzu Axiom alloy wheels

Navigation: iPad Mini w/MotionX-GPS

Communication: Cobra 75 WX ST CB / BTECH MINI UV-25X4 HAM

Favorite Trails: The open road

As I have gotten more and more involved in backcountry adventure style 4-wheeling I wanted to find a larger, comfortable, well equipt vehicle to suit my needs. My Samurai, while great for shorter trips, is just too small and slow for long haul trips hundreds of miles away. And while my old Pathfinder was great, it still felt a little small and poorly laid out to carry the gear I like to haul. So when the Pathfinder found an unceremonious end to its off-roading life, I began looking into other vehicles.

For years Troopers have been on the edge of my radar, but often discounted as a soccer mom vehicle. Occasionally I saw them off-road, but never really paid them much mind. About a year and a half ago my Dad snagged one and we've picked over it and been impressed with its build quality and capabilities as a mild off-roader. The other nice thing about Troopers is that they are cheap. You can find Troopers in good condition all day long for under $2,000. So when one popped up with a blown timing belt I jumped on it and picked it up for $700. $250 in parts and a few evening of work I had a solid running vehicle. Not bad.

With their ample interior space (Nearly 7' from the back of the front seats to the rear doors), solid AISIN and Isuzu parts, I think that I've picked up a great camping vehicle for cheap. Throwing on OME springs for clearance and some better tires, and I think I'm set. There are no further modifications that I plan to do to the vehicle (maybe sliders). So now its time to just get it out on the trail!

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Attachments

• 1541641059569.png
    1541641059569.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks good Stephen, seems like a great platform for back country exploring... I love the wheel/tire combo!

What happened to the Pathfinder?

sixstringsteve

great looking rig, especially considering the price! Congrats. I vote for sliders so you can come on trips like hole in the rock.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Looks good Stephen, seems like a great platform for back country exploring... I love the wheel/tire combo!

Thanks! Took it for a shakedown cruise up for AF yesterday, everything works well. I need to replace the rear bump stops and might need some bumper trimming on the front for the tires, but aside from that, it was nice and smooth. I was originally thinking about powdercoating the wheels black, but now that they are on, I think they look great!

What happened to the Pathfinder?

My lying, cheating, whore of an ex-wife got it in the divorce. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

With their ample interior space (Nearly 7' from the back of the front seats to the rear doors)...

Wow, that's impressive. Sounds like you could easily rig up a sleeping arrangement inside for those snowy nights. That's awesome. And good choice with the white, I love white rigs.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Wow, that's impressive. Sounds like you could easily rig up a sleeping arrangement inside for those snowy nights. That's awesome. And good choice with the white, I love white rigs.

Yeah, people build sleep decks for them. not sure if I'll do that. For FYTO4, I'll just pull the rear seats and throw a blow up matress in there to sleep on. Otherwise, I'll just sleep on the ground.

I like $700 rigs, no matter what the color! ;)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
What's funny is I thought you got a picture of mine before I put on my front bumper and sliders for a bit.

:rofl: I think there are four of us on RME now. You, me, Bobn (my Dad), and WillyLin. We should get a run together!

Do you remember how many turns you had to crank the front torsion bars to adjust when you put in the rear coils?

Eight. I'll run it that way for a bit and see how it settles, remeasure, and likely back it off a turn or two. But it sits pretty level right now.

I don't know if they'd work or not, but I"d be happy to donate my old sliders from my tacoma.

Thats an interesting prospect... Whats the leangth on those?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As I've used the Trooper more and more I've identified a number of things that I'd like to do to kind of fine tune it. None of this has a time table, just sort of work it in as I can, but I thought that I might share:

Adjustable tie down strips (rear cargo area)
Dual batteries
Front LSD (and a unicorn, too!)
HAM
Helton Shower system
iPhone stereo adapter
Onboard air
Rear footwell water tank
Rear interior light that can flip out for cooking
Tougher skid plates

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I am aware, and I think that it is a very neat solution and one that I may explore. I put the dual battery on the list just as a place holder. We'll see what happens.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
The alternative works with dual batt systems as well.... at least that's what I've heard... in fact I've heard that if you throw in some vacon, the kit could be modified to monitor both batteries in a dual system. It's lv3 expo.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My main concern is using it with a manual transmission. I leave my vehicles in first gear when parked. Its a habit and a safety thing (park brakes don't always work). My understanding is that the "expo box" requires a manual transmission to be left in nuetral.