1994 Isuzu Trooper

You can read about my rebuild here: Project: Stratotrooper

Engine: Isuzu 6V1D-W Advanced
3.2L DOHC V6 w/SOHC Plenum and Multec-2 Injectors

Transmission: Stock AISIN 5-Speed Manual

Transfer Case: Revolution 3.1:1 Low Range Gears

Front Axle: Stock, AISIN manual hubs

Rear Axle: Stock LSD

Suspension: Old Man Emu Dakar 2" lift coils in rear, front torsion bars cranked to match lift and upper ball joints flipped, OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks at all four corners

Steering: Stock

Wheels and Tires: 255/75 BF Goodrich MT KO2's on 17" Isuzu Axiom alloy wheels

Navigation: iPad Mini w/MotionX-GPS

Communication: Cobra 75 WX ST CB / BTECH MINI UV-25X4 HAM

Favorite Trails: The open road

As I have gotten more and more involved in backcountry adventure style 4-wheeling I wanted to find a larger, comfortable, well equipt vehicle to suit my needs. My Samurai, while great for shorter trips, is just too small and slow for long haul trips hundreds of miles away. And while my old Pathfinder was great, it still felt a little small and poorly laid out to carry the gear I like to haul. So when the Pathfinder found an unceremonious end to its off-roading life, I began looking into other vehicles.

For years Troopers have been on the edge of my radar, but often discounted as a soccer mom vehicle. Occasionally I saw them off-road, but never really paid them much mind. About a year and a half ago my Dad snagged one and we've picked over it and been impressed with its build quality and capabilities as a mild off-roader. The other nice thing about Troopers is that they are cheap. You can find Troopers in good condition all day long for under $2,000. So when one popped up with a blown timing belt I jumped on it and picked it up for $700. $250 in parts and a few evening of work I had a solid running vehicle. Not bad.

With their ample interior space (Nearly 7' from the back of the front seats to the rear doors), solid AISIN and Isuzu parts, I think that I've picked up a great camping vehicle for cheap. Throwing on OME springs for clearance and some better tires, and I think I'm set. There are no further modifications that I plan to do to the vehicle (maybe sliders). So now its time to just get it out on the trail!

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Attachments

• 1541641059569.png
    1541641059569.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
The alternative works with dual batt systems as well.... at least that's what I've heard... in fact I've heard that if you throw in some vacon, the kit could be modified to monitor both batteries in a dual system. It's lv3 expo.

That's the epitome of expo.

I dig the Trooper Stephen. The vast majority of Utah's backcountry can be done with your truck as it sits now.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I dig the Trooper Stephen. The vast majority of Utah's backcountry can be done with your truck as it sits now.

Thanks, man. I agree, its been a great rig thus far and I feel I've gotten some decent use out of it thus far. I'd like to just fine tune it for comfort at this point and I think I'll be happy.

Until I decide to SAS and exo it, man! :rofl:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I loved the TrueTrac in the front of my '86. It made for a bit of understeer in sand, but it was great to feel the front hook up on a climb.

I wish that was an option for the 2nd gens. The only thing I've heard of is finding a factory one out of an Impulse, but very, very, VERY few of those had them.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
There isn't a lot of changes in the second gen troopers, the dash changed in about 95 and they did some body moulding but it's basically the same body. I have a 98+ front bumper on my 96 and it fit fine.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Are you going to have to modify them to fit? The ad said 98+ Trooper.

Is he a friend of yours?

No, he's not. But he seemed quite chill. He's the service manager at Kirkhams and is now planning on trying to make it to Freeze Your Tail Off.

There isn't a lot of changes in the second gen troopers, the dash changed in about 95 and they did some body moulding but it's basically the same body. I have a 98+ front bumper on my 96 and it fit fine.

As for the sliders being listed for 98+, I held them up to the Trooper before I bought them, and they seemed to line up perfectly. I'm willing to bet that RRO has them broken out like that because there are stylistic changes through the years, and that way people who own X model year won't get confused. Once I get them cleaned up and ready to mount if I need to change things, I will.

Jeepj667

You'll have to let us know how you like them. I've been debating between a set of them or a set from TG.

Do you think you'll have them on by FYTO? I'd like to see a set in person.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
For sure. I'm going to try and get the mounting hardware and instructions from RRO so I'm not guessing at stuff. Need to get them repainted, too. Hopefully I'll have them on after the holidays.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Done quite a bit of maintenance the past few weeks on the Trooper. My alternator went out, which I found was due to the power steering pump (which is located right above the alternator) leaking onto it. So I replaced both. It was a pain in the ass and whoever at Isuzu designed the placement of the alternator should be tried for crimes against humanity.

During my last trip out to the Newfoundlands both my CV's started clicking. So this weekend I dove in and replaced the CV's and ball joints. While I was at it, I did the upper ball joint flip. This is as simple as rather than mounting the ball joint so it drops through the top of the upper a-arm, you bolt it to the bottom. You get a bit of a lift, but its more to improve articulation and compensate for the camber that I changed by cranking up the torsion bars.

My dad, who also has a Trooper, snagged some ASIN manual hubs a years or so ago out at the junkyard. Since he wasn't using them I decided to "borrow" them for mine. Supposedly the manual hubs are much stronger than the stock auto locking ones. Also, since the front axle's aren't constantly engaged, this "should" improve my gas milage slightly. I guess we'll see.

Next up replacing the radiator and fan clutch in an attempt to fix the overheating issue's I had last summer.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
You ever get that speedometer working propperly?
;)

Good to hear you are getting it up and running better.

You ever learn what that skinny pedal on the right is for? :p

Well after buying it for $700 a year ago and running it with just replacing the timing belt and a basic tune up since then, I think it's been a pretty sweet rig. I can't compain about having to do some maintenance now.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
:cool:

Not sure about Isuzu but using the factory/OEM thermostat is paramount on certain vehicles. My Ford is a good example of that the parts store replacements don't cut it. Something to look into anyway hopefully the overheating goes away.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
:cool:

Not sure about Isuzu but using the factory/OEM thermostat is paramount on certain vehicles. My Ford is a good example of that the parts store replacements don't cut it. Something to look into anyway hopefully the overheating goes away.

Thanks for the pro tip. I haven't heard that being an issue, but I'll consider it. I replaced the thermostat when Did the timing belt and water pump last year. When I pull the radiator and fan I'll pull it out and test it just to make sure its working.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
A bit delayed, but a few weeks ago I put a new radiator and fan clutch in. Tested the thermostat as well, and it was fine. Took my trip to the Swell last month and didn't have any overheating issues! The ASIN hubs didn't seem to help at all with fuel milage, though. And thats disappointing. Also got some good, 50% tread Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs for a decent price. All told, still very happy with the rig.

ZUKEYPR

In due course. HITR would be about as extreme as this would ever see. For the time being I just need to wire up a 12volt in the rear for the fridge!

Any Isuzu can do HITR with no problems; I've led plenty of Isuzus through it to include Troopers, Rodeos, Amigos, even Vehicrosses. They will go anywhere that my LJ Rubicon will. We still have a few in our club as well. Check out Matt at www.Independent4x.com or Darlington Offroad if he's not busy offroad racing in many of his winning Isuzus. Stay clear of Calmini, nothing but piss pour costumer service. PlanetIsuzu has a lot of good info on it as well.