Steve's 81 Toyota "angelo" build

sixstringsteve

I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. Plus I'm going to need the strength of the metal in there since my body mount is so chewed up.

sixstringsteve

My buddies helped me get my IFS rear axle (thanks panos) under there last night. little by little. Today my plan is to get the t-case crossmember built and installed.

sixstringsteve

Got a few new tools today to make the job easier: (4) 12-ton jackstands from HF, they go up to 30", a sandblaster, a transmission jack, and a hi-flow 7 CFM air compressor. They're all cheap chinese HF tools, but they'll be very helpful in getting this rig back together.

sixstringsteve

ANy updates on the windows for the wheels? lol

I still don't know how to do it, so I don't think it's going to happen on this rig at this point. Panos explained it to me, and i don't think I'm capable enough to do it. Maybe someday though, it would be cool to be able to see where the tires are. But since this is a daily driver, it has to be sealed enough for snow/rain/mud, and I don't think I could pull it off. If anyone has any links to how to do it, I may consider it.

Silly Willy

I still don't know how to do it, so I don't think it's going to happen on this rig at this point. Panos explained it to me, and i don't think I'm capable enough to do it. Maybe someday though, it would be cool to be able to see where the tires are. But since this is a daily driver, it has to be sealed enough for snow/rain/mud, and I don't think I could pull it off. If anyone has any links to how to do it, I may consider it.
Okay then when you updating on filling the holes you made? You going to use sheet metal to fill it or diamond plate to get back some more structural integrity you lost cutting up the fire wall?

sixstringsteve

I'm going to use 16 GA. it's going to be a while before those get patched. I got ahead of myself on the tubbing. I need to get the tcase mount made first so I can at least roll it around, then I'll get to stretching the frame. Then I'll get around to the interior sheet metal.

Yu-no whene I'm sending them to the basement rather than raising them up, I'd use a round trailer fender for the filler, real cheep @ hendersons availble in different sizes(radius) and are about 16-14 Ga. steel

sixstringsteve

hey, that's a great idea. I didn't even think of that. Where is hendersons?

I already have a 4x8' sheet of 16 ga, but if they're cheap enough, I'll just go that route. Excellent idea though, I'll definitely use it in the future. Thanks nacho.

sixstringsteve

Sweet, thanks. It looks like the fenders will be about the same price as my 16GA, so I'm going to stick with that for now. But I will use those in the future, great idea.

Rick, thanks for the grand tour yesterday, that was cool. I envy your space, your tools, and your mad skills. Thanks for the springs and the bed, I can't wait to throw them on.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Man, my tcase mount it taking me forever! Plus my buddies keep stopping by and I keep working on their trucks instead of mine. I've gotta get that tcase mounted right. Then comes the frame stretch. It's frustrating how long it's taking me to build one friggin crossmember.

Thanks for the motivation though, keep pushing me so I'll get more done :)

sixstringsteve

I got all the right tools now. I just picked up a mother of a compressor, so it'll be good for sandblasting, air tools, and everything else. I got the jackstands I needed, and heavy-duty jack. Now I just need to USE my tools on my truck.

sixstringsteve

Still working on my tcase xmember. I only get about 3 hours a night to work on it, and it's slow going. Wish I had a plasma cutter.

sixstringsteve

yeah. I spent over an hour griding one piece of 5/16 last night. It's still not even where it needs to be yet. But hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow night. There is a little big of light at the end of the tunnel.

Quick question. I've got two hardlines for the fuel delivery in the way of the new tcase crossmember. I'm thinking of shortening them. if I do, should I flare the end? It's just got a softline with one of those spring clamps on it.

I think on the shortbeds toyota bent them up to take up the slack so they could use the same lines for the shortbed and the longbed. Has anyone else done this yet?

sixstringsteve

I finally feel like I've made some progress. I've realized that I suck at fabbing and at engineering (and don't enjoy it much) but it turned out better than I expected. Pretty sad that it took me two weeks to build this:

DSC05722.JPG

DSC05723.JPG

And here are the fuel lines that are getting in the way. I'm thinking of straightening them out and cutting them shorter. Any ideas?

from the front output shaft looking towards the back of the truck.
DSC05724.JPG

From the back towards the front.
DSC05725.JPG

Last edited:

ricsrx

That xmember turned out great!!!

I think because you are not fuel injected and running a manual fuel pump your PSI is low enough that you could cut out the sections you dont want and replace it with rubber hose.