Steve's 81 Toyota "angelo" build

Bart

Seriously Bart seriously all brand favorites and stuff aside the truck crawls and flexs like a pro and and a LJ mildly built would get it's but handed to the 81 in a comp really just think about it

Spoken by a guy who's obviously never been in a comp.

I was just assuming he hadn't because Steve's (Cascadia's) '81 is obviously going to out-wheel the LJ. So there!

Maybe, I know the longer wheel base on the truck will climb a lot things much better than the LJ. There are other situations where the LJ would school the truck.

I didn't mean to get all the Yota lovers panties in a wad, just saying similarly built rigs will do better with links and coils than leafs. Like I said before I love the truck.

sixstringsteve

Has the local TTORA pulled their heads out? Is that local chapter even active?

No, not really. I started a thread over there and tried to get the Utah guys involved. They're pretty active online, but actually getting people to show up to anything is like pulling teeth, so I gave up and spent all my time over here instead. I made some good friends over there though, lots of nice guys. About a year ago we had a few good runs out at rattlesnake with some good turnout, but other than those two runs, nothin. Not many of them are into rockcrawling. They prefer fire roads. Nothing wrong with that, but it's funny to me how many people will dump $5-10k into their tacoma to run fire roads that weren't even a a challenge when it was stock. Just sayin.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
No, not really. I started a thread over there and tried to get the Utah guys involved. About a year ago we had a few good runs out at rattlesnake, but not many of them are into rockcrawling. They prefer fire roads. Nothing wrong with that, but it's funny to me how many people will dump $5-10k into their tacoma to run fire roads that it already ran fine on stock. Just sayin.

To be honest, I'm shocked you even had some turn-out at all.. for anything.. I stepped into the Pres role back in '06?? Tried to revive the local group with Kurt W and others, but came out fruitless.. Majority of the local chapter guys are a bunch of whining web wheelers who were never satisfied.. I think the best turn out was for the '06 NPLD where we cut up one or two abandoned cars up above the 'B' and hauled em off.. There was a decent turn out for that, and it was a blast.

Last edited:

Bob B

So, why are you guys arguing? You should all know that it's mostly driver and not always the rig. I know everyone should agree on that.
Stop arguing and let this thread DIE. It's a waste of space....
Begin
flaming

now.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

My point as well, was that Bart has been in the comp scene since before Pelygroso and kids were out of diapers.. :p

2000-2001?
rockrailbart.jpg

bart_making_it_look_easy.jpg

sixstringsteve

well this build thread went downhill quickly... :(

It was pretty friendly till the two pages ago.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Didn't it sell almost two weeks ago?

Yeah, I guess I just figured cascadia would continue on in this thread since there's tons more he could do to it. But now that he's selling it it's a moot point unless his LJ sells first. I need to copy this thread and store it on my computer just for posterity. I'm sure my kids will want to see what I did one day.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Ya, I was gonna say that you kinda killed the build thread when you sold it... It'll now be here to archive information for toyota nerds for years to come..

Cascadia

Undecided
Hey I'm only done with it if my jeep doesn't sell first. It's actually getting the carb rebuilt right now since the truck didn't make it home without dying. I love the truck but I would much rather drive my LJ daily and even on most trails unless there is serious crawling involved. My LJ is so comfortable and it has air and heat and I actually fit in it. The truck is a little squished for me. Don't know how the truck flexes yet, but the LJ flexes as far as I want it to and I always feel like I have traction and that all 4 are on the ground. I guess I'll have to have a competition with myself and let ya'll know. Don't hold me to that though.

Cascadia

Undecided
No it can't. I'd like to see it happen. Bet you couldn't even pull up on my tire without your back tire coming off the ground. And my toyota will out wheel yours.

ricsrx

Jason

I followed an exTera into work this morning about 4ish am, his rearcargo light was on and the rear window was full of stickers including a U4.

Who was it,

just startin somthing new, this has turned into the full of s**t thread.

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm just sticking up for myself. I wish this thread could have stayed how it was. Just glad to know I didn't start it.

Anyways, back to the build...
I got the truck back today and it's running a lot better. Just needed a major tune up on the carb. And the actuator pump was too short that the guy before Steve put on it. So that is on order from Toyota rather than aftermarket. Should run awesome after that. It just ahs a little hesitation when you hit the gas. Took my wife in it tonight to get the Christmas tree. It sure would be a lot better without a spool and with a selectable locker or detroit. chirp chirp chirp

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I'm just sticking up for myself. I wish this thread could have stayed how it was. Just glad to know I didn't start it.

Anyways, back to the build...
I got the truck back today and it's running a lot better. Just needed a major tune up on the carb. And the actuator pump was too short that the guy before Steve put on it. So that is on order from Toyota rather than aftermarket. Should run awesome after that. It just ahs a little hesitation when you hit the gas. Took my wife in it tonight to get the Christmas tree. It sure would be a lot better without a spool and with a selectable locker or detroit. chirp chirp chirp
I have an arb setup forsale:)

sixstringsteve

It sure would be a lot better without a spool and with a selectable locker or detroit. chirp chirp chirp

Yeah, it's definitely not the best daily driver. But at least it's still street legal-ish.

I would recommend an aussie locker in the rear. THey seem to be one of the better lockers for a toyota. I STRONGLY recommend against a lockrite. An ARB or an elocker would be awesome, but they're mucho dinero.

I thought you were going to trailer this rig to the trails. If you're going to DD, i'd invest in some 5.29s.

Cascadia

Undecided
My lockrites have worked great in my lj but I guess it could be different in a toyota. They've lasted longer than my detroit did though. Still no one can explain that one to me.