Steve's 81 Toyota "angelo" build

sixstringsteve

aussie locker is the same price as a lockrite, and it works in the same way, but people report more reliability with the aussie than a lockrite in a toy.

Chevycrew

my buddy has over 50,000 miles on a rear lockright, in a toyota, with 36's to 38's with no complaints. Its all about the driver.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I vote ARB for the rear, they are nothing but high quality. My Dad has one in his F-250 for the past 5 plus years and has had no problems, but i do love my lockright i have in the rear of my 4runner no problems there. From what i have read about lock rights and other auto lockers is that they are less noticable in heavier rigs

iamsparticus

sorry cascadia to of fed the fire on the stupid argument, i deleted my posts lets all try and keep this a build thread not a bulls**t thread

Cascadia

Undecided
No problem. It's all fun until it goes on for 3 pages.

When you say less noticeable in a heavier rig what do you mean? I have lockrites in front and rear of my jeep and I hear a little clicking every once in a while. What does it do in a toyota since they are lighter? Are they noisier or do they lock up more on the street or what?

And who knows gearing in toyotas? If I do the 5.29's will I need to rebuild the whole thing or can I just throw the gears in? In my jeep I think it was 4.10's and down.

iamsparticus

The heavyier rigs make it smooth out to the point of most people say they don't even notice the locker. Toyotas you will hear the click click and the ocasional lock up turning but not bad at all i only notice mine when im going really slow and turning all the way on pavement, if money is tight then i would go with a lockrigth and you will love it, if you could afford it go with a ARB and you will love it even more

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
if money is tight then i would go with a lockrigth and you will love it, if you could afford it go with a ARB and you will love it even more
I think that is only reason people have lunchbox or spools compared to selectables. I am sure everyone would be running selectables if money was not an issue. I know I would.

iamsparticus

heck yes

I think that is only reason people have lunchbox or spools compared to selectables. I am sure everyone would be running selectables if money was not an issue. I know I would.

I second that i would have a ARB or a OX locker in a heart beat if it were not for the money problem, oh well though you do what you can:)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i've heard good things about aussie lockers as well, i'm thinking about getting one for my front even though locking a 30 is a sin.

but, for $250 and i can install it myself, i really want the wife to get me one for Christmas :D

i'm with you kmboren, a selectable would obviously be nicer but the spool was $80 and i installed it. my buddy just spent like $1200 on an arb. my jeep was $1500 so yeah i'll stick to my cheap spool. i don't street it that much anyways besides driving to moab and whatnot

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

cascadia, you've gotta take it out to snakes at least once to see what it can do. You're mainly judging it by it's road performance, which isn't impressive. But offroad that thing is a monster. You should at least take it out once, you won't believe what it can do.

sixstringsteve

its been through 3 owners. tacoman is right, someone bought it for parts (I don't blame him). He needed 4 seats, so he put it all on a 4runner