Suzuki Steve's '97 4-door Sidekick Build (the real build thread)

sixstringsteve

Subscribed. This could be pretty cool. I can't love the paint color though.

I'd prefer a different color as well, but mechanical condition, lack of rust, safety features, and body condition were all more important to me than the color. You can't win em all.

sixstringsteve

...all Toyota mini axles are bent... Some are just worse than others :D

I think this one falls into the "worse than others" category. Check out how hard it hit the steering stops.

IMG_0224.JPG

sixstringsteve

Tanner (Jardine) is the man. He and his manager hooked me up royally, and I am beyond pleased. Gotta give a huge props to Discount Tire down on 1600 N in Lindon. Those guys rock.

Proud owner of some new 33" KM2s. I love these tires in the rocks.

STAG

On my grind
Tanner (Jardine) is the man. He and his manager hooked me up royally, and I am beyond pleased. Gotta give a huge props to Discount Tire down on 1600 N in Lindon. Those guys rock.

Proud owner of some new 33" KM2s. I love these tires in the rocks.

Not to get off topic but x2 on the rep for those guys, they hooked me up with a great price on some aluminum wheels when I was building my budget build monster XJ.

sixstringsteve

Looks like the wheels I ordered on 4Wheelparts' website are a month out. Would have been nice if the website had said that. Oh well. It won't be done for a month anyway, so it's ok.

sixstringsteve

Not much to update. Got a few more parts tonight:

- elocker third
- scepter cans from Kurt
- front axle rebuild kit from Kurt. Killer killer price.

I know I said I'd try to keep chit chat out of this thread, but this story bears sharing.

Kurt (at cruser outfitters) is a great guy. I did not grow up with him, we're not lifelong buds. I met him a year ago when I was building my '81. I needed some rebuild parts, so I called him based on some recommendations from other toyota guys. Great guy and he was VERY helpful. He drew diagrams, explained everything twice, and showed me some of his cool stuff. 6 months later, I went on a few trail runs with him. Same deal. Super knowledgeable and super friendly. Tonight when I got my parts, he hooked me up. My cell phone battery was dead, and I needed to call the guy about the elocker so I could pick it up that night. Knowing Kurt is a nice guy, I asked if I could make a quick call on his phone. Of course he doesn't mind. After I borrow his phone he says "hey, we have the same phone. Mine's got half a charge, and yours is dead. I'll just swap batteries with you, then you can make it through the night." Who does that? honestly? I was blown away.

So then I go to pick up my elocker, and tell the guy the story, and he says "oh yeah, I'm not surprised. He's the greatest. A while back I needed parts for my cruiser, and Kurt was in Moab, and his wife was at work. Kurt said he'd work something out even though he was in Moab. Well, that night, his wife delivered them to my door."

All I've gotta say is, the world needs more people like Kurt, and more businesses like Cruiser Outfitters. if you own or even like anything toyota, you've gotta meet Kurt. Even if you're not a toyota head, and you just like Utah and exploring it, Kurt is your man. I'm just kicking myself for not getting to know him sooner. Super knowledgeable and super friendly. I look forward to MANY more purchases from Cruiser Outfitters.

Last edited: