Suzuki Steve's '97 4-door Sidekick Build (the real build thread)

sixstringsteve

how do the link mounts interfere with the elocker.

im running leafs with my locker and its tight in there.

just need a visual i guess.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. You can read through this thread and find where they had to hack up their coil mount. I'm not willing to hack into it, so elockers up front aren't going to happen, unless eaton comes out with their kit one day.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704954&highlight=trail+slayer

and here are the instructions from trailtough if you want to see better pics of the mount.
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=29b8aeb0-88eb-443e-b750-c117540988b7

sixstringsteve

I don't pretend to know much about link suspension, anti-squat calculations, and all that stuff, but all my friends who have this kit love it and say it performs great. We'll see how it does for me.

from this thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529888&page=3

After looking through the photos on the other site, and reading Linda & Brint's comments, I'd have to say it is a well thought out design built around some of the limitations of the Kick's hardware. I'd say the main trick is the link angles and the slip yokes. Looks like Brent did a nice job of setting the links up to work around the limits of the stock slip yoke design.

Some might comment on the links all coming together at the frame ends, but if you look at the angle of the lower links, you will understand why he is able to get away with this. They are parallel to the ground, if they were angled down to the axle the antisquat would be crazy, and the vehicle would have some major issues in big traction climbs, etc.

Same goes for the link box being so far below the frame. It gives the link angle needed, but also gives a little more room for the links to travel upward without hitting the frame.

I have learned to give large amounts of respect to Brent for his suspension kits. They have always been high quality and great performers and I suspect this will be another!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it does offroad. It is interesting to note that his latest "zukamole" project does have separation at the frame. That rig is amazing, I've seen it in person.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
How are you liking driving your 'kick around? Those bumpers look funny w/ stock lift/tires, but I can see how they'll look niiiiice once you've gotten your lift, etc on. Are you going to have to hack up the wheel wells?

sixstringsteve

I love driving my kick. I've had 4 in the past, so I'm used to them. They're great for what they are. Yeah, it looks goofy with the bumpers on it right now. Hopefully it works and looks good once it's all done.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Speaking of those bumpers, I didnt realize that anyone was still into the Smittybuilt style of dual 2" tube bumper look anymore.

sixstringsteve

Speaking of those bumpers, I didnt realize that anyone was still into the Smittybuilt style of dual 2" tube bumper look anymore.

I'm into any bumper that offers good protection, light weight, and good approach/departure angles. I don't buy my bumpers for looks.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
How much larger of a tire to guys get away with putting in the OE spare tire location? Ways to beef that up? Also, will the bumper limit how big of a tire will fit there?

sixstringsteve

one thing about Brent's bumpers (trailtough) is that he sticks with metric hardware, which is really nice for a suzuki/toyota owner. I hate being out on the trail and having my entire vehicle in metric except for my aftermarket parts.

Chevycrew

It appears that the bumper will limit the tire size, but less than what the factory rear bumper would. Depending on backspace and width the tire may be out far enough to clear the new bumper.

Thats just what I can see from the pics.

sixstringsteve

I'll have to see once I get the wheels in. I don't expect the rear door to be able to hold a 33" tire. I plan on crossing that bridge when I come to it. I'll probably end up building a swing out tire carrier/jerry can holder

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
this should be a fun little rig to play with.
I had one a few years back that I just drove around. I got 30 mpg & it was kind of fun to drive.
One of my buddies just finished an sas on his tracker, hes excited to use it!
He loves it!

pELYgroso

'Merica
steve, are you going to make some garden edge fender flares? I imagine the tires will stick out a bit. What are you planning for that?