Suzuki Steve's '97 4-door Sidekick Build (the real build thread)

Bart

Just to clarify, you don't need to own or build a Toyota to like Kurt. I have talked to him on different ideas and projects, and go to him for ARB parts. He is da man. Well said Steve.

sixstringsteve

Got a little bit of work done tonight. I drilled the holes for one of the crossmembers.
IMG_0227.JPG

sixstringsteve

I got my front bumper in the mail today and mounted it. This is the first front bumper I have ever purchased. Before this rig, there was never a need since all they did was reduce the approach angle. This bumper actually improved the approach angle. I had Brent leave the stinger and winch mount off. I'll probably add a receiver on front, then if I do get a winch someday I can just plug it in the front or back (like Goose's setup but not as cool).

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

I couldn't find any good pictures of how the front bumper goes on, so hopefully this helps somebody down the road.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

sixstringsteve

I've been really happy with TrailTough's stuff, but I'm getting sick of everything being bolt-on and requiring drilling lots of holes. So I just welded the front bumper brackets in. I'll clean it up and paint it tomorrow.

IMG_0232.JPG

Unless you've installed this bumper, these pics won't make much sense. Sorry about that.
IMG_0233.JPG

and here she is installed.
IMG_0235.JPG

Tomorrow night I'll pull the bumper off, finish a few welds, wire wheel my welds, paint the body behind the bumper, and paint the bumper as well.

sixstringsteve

Well, my "buddy" who promised me his axles isn't being very easy to get ahold of (funny how that works). So I'll be buying a set of axles off a friend. Axle teardown, bracketry, elocker retrofit, and rebuilding will happen this saturday. If anyone wants to come hang out and learn how a toyota axle comes apart and goes back together, you're welcome to join. I'll probably get the suspension done in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

A week from this Saturday is the Klondike Derby campout with the scouts, so that puts a kink in my schedule, but I think I can work around it.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I will be down, and I will bring my plasma for you to play with... I have some stuff in the morning, but I bet I can make it down by noon.

sixstringsteve

sweet! I'll only have time to rebuild the axles tomorrow and add the bracketry/locker retrofit. I won't be cutting any crossmembers till next week.

sixstringsteve

I pulled the axles tonight with Eric (864runner). Thanks Eric! Tomorrow I'll clean up the housings and rebuild the front axle and retrofit the rear axle for the elocker.

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
from my schedule at work, it looks like i would be able to make it down. this monday i'm getting my CV fixed finally, so i can find your house then so i know where to go.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
so your throwing the elocker in the rear, why not the front, a lock right or even a spool would work in the rear the selectable would be really nice in the front.

also what are you doing for wiring, i wired mine up just using a six post switch and no relays easy hook up.

sixstringsteve

so your throwing the elocker in the rear, why not the front, a lock right or even a spool would work in the rear the selectable would be really nice in the front.

also what are you doing for wiring, i wired mine up just using a six post switch and no relays easy hook up.

I can't run an elocker in the front because it interferes with the link mounts.

Not sure what I'm going to do on the wiring yet.

sixstringsteve

I finally made some headway on my rig yesterday.

Started with this:
IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

stripped of its guts
IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

With all brackets removed except upper spring perches and steering stops. I even shaved the drain plug since they always seem to get hung up on rocks.
IMG_0240.JPG

Ball gussets and diff armor
IMG_0241.JPG

And finally, the housing with link brackets on it.
IMG_0242.JPG

I'm really impressed with this kit. It's super simple, which is just what I need right now. I don't have time to design anything like my last build, so it's nice that it all goes together so well without a hitch.

Special thanks to Colton and Brandon for helping me out.

Last edited:

Coco

It was fun!! Thank you for helping me with my hubs!! It was actually really really simple, but it was nice to have the help. :) now I will just need help with my RUF, and the front axle when I go to do it ;)

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
how do the link mounts interfere with the elocker.

im running leafs with my locker and its tight in there.

just need a visual i guess.