Suzuki Steve's '97 4-door Sidekick Build (the real build thread)

sixstringsteve

I just talked to Linda Bradshaw (of trailtough), and apparently they're working on sourcing some new coils for this kit. I'm excited to try them out when they get in. I'm still waiting on the coils, but I'm sure they'll be worth the wait. I appreciate them continually refining their product, rather than just shipping what they have in stock to shut me up. Did I mention that this kit is BEEFY?

Hey Steve! it's Josh the guy u bought the sidekick from. The build is looking really good, and I'm excited to see it progess. This is exactly how I would have built it if I had the money. Looking forward to seeing more!!:D

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
steve i hope you straped or bolted your axle to a jig or something. Welding it they can warp easily from the heat, build is looking good though

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I'm really enjoying this build!:) I have a buddy with a tracker who has asked about how buildable it is!:confused:

I'm going to turn him on to this thread for insporation! I'm sure that will be the kicker to finally get him started!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I, personally am really interested in how good of a DD it turns out to be!:eek:

I like the idea of a 20+ mpg, non-wimp looks & weekend trail capable, family friendly rig!:D

I'll be watching with great interest!!!

sixstringsteve

Hey Steve! it's Josh the guy u bought the sidekick from. The build is looking really good, and I'm excited to see it progess. This is exactly how I would have built it if I had the money. Looking forward to seeing more!!:D

Hey Josh, I'm glad you found this thread! It's going to get exciting in the next few weeks. I love the kick, and I hope it continues to be as reliable as it has been. Aside from a small leak underneath (valve cover gasket? rear main? Tranny? Tcase?) I have no reason to believe it won't be. Did you ever find out if the water pump and timing belt were replaced with the bottom-end rebuild?

Yeah, this isn't the cheapest kick build ever, but it's going to be great for what I'll be doing. I love driving the car around now, can't wait 'till it's got 33's and an undertaker.

sixstringsteve

I'm really enjoying this build!:) I have a buddy with a tracker who has asked about how buildable it is!:confused:

I'm going to turn him on to this thread for insporation! I'm sure that will be the kicker to finally get him started!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I, personally am really interested in how good of a DD it turns out to be!:eek:

I like the idea of a 20+ mpg, non-wimp looks & weekend trail capable, family friendly rig!:D

I'll be watching with great interest!!!

Thanks Dewey. Your username rings a bell. I wonder if we've met. Yeah, kicks are somewhat buildable. There are cheaper ways to get more capable vehicles (toyota mini trucks), but I like sidekicks a lot. If your goal is 40" Krawlers, I'd look elsewhere. I had a 2-door on 31's with a 3" suspension lift (still ifs) and a 3" body lift, and it did really well. It was a blast to drive.

Anyway, I'm a fan of sidekicks. I've had 5 samil's, and they're cool, but I like sidekicks more for some reason. There aren't a ton around, they seat 4 comfortably, get good mileage, lightweight, and they're easy to work on. The main limiting factor with the sidekicks is the gearing. Since so many come with 5.12's stock, anything bigger than a 31" tire bogs them down. I've heard of people having good luck with 5.71's and toyota axles and 33's, but even then it's still geared higher than stock. THat's why Trailtough invented the undertaker. It's a reduction box that goes between your tranny and tcase. It's not cheap at all ($1250 I believe), but it's really the only option other than a Kicker 3 dual case adapter, but then your output shaft isn't centered anymore. Once you have the gearing worked out, kicks are pretty capable little machines, especially for weekend warrior/camping/dd rigs.

So, aside from the gearing, you can make a kick pretty capable. I personally prefer the longer wheelbase of the 4-doors. I just can't live with anything under 100". I wish I had an extra 5-10" of wheelbase, but that's ok, I'm not building it to be the most capable vehicle ever.

I'm glad you're watching the build. Hopefully it doesn't dissapoint.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Well, band practice got cancelled tonight so I got to spend another 2 hours on it. For those who don't know me, I'm a California guy, and I've never painted in 10 degree weather before. So tonight I learned that paint runs when it's below freezing temperatures. Oh well, it's just an axle, and spray paint runs don't matter. That's why I paint everything flat black instead of gloss black :D

So tonight I got the rear axle primered and half of it painted black. I also got the front axle primered. Since it's going to take hours for the primer to dry, I'll have to shoot the black tomorrow night.

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

Cherokeester

Funny Steve, I have that exact welder and that coat you have hanging back there! Your project looks like it is coming right along. Someone mentioned above that you could expect 20 plus mpg from a lifted sidekick with big tires, is that true?

Corban_White

Wow Steve, is that a tiny little Mr buddy heater I see? Wow. Pm me I have a heater that works a little bit better you can borrow. I don't even know how you can work in those temps.

iamsparticus

It's easy corban to work in these cold temps just layer up and total disregard for personal coldness. Steve i hope it's finished soon because the ground hog did not see his shadow so early wheeling is almost here! hahaha

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Someone mentioned above that you could expect 20 plus mpg from a lifted sidekick with big tires, is that true?

I doubt I'll get 20 MPG with 33's and toys. My 2-door got 32 MPG stock no matter how I drove it. My 4-doors have gotten between 25 and 28 (this one gets 25-26 consistently). Either way, it's a gutless motor and light car, so it helps with the MPG. I'm terrible at estimating, but I imagine I'm going to add about 500-1000 lbs to the vehicle. So that'll kill MPGs. I'm guessing i'll get 17-21 mpg. We'll see. Either way, it'll be slow up hills and canyons, but it'll get me where I need to go. My tacoma got 18-20 with 35's and it still had plenty of power.

sixstringsteve

Wow Steve, is that a tiny little Mr buddy heater I see? Wow. Pm me I have a heater that works a little bit better you can borrow. I don't even know how you can work in those temps.

Yup, it's a tiny little Mr. buddy heater. It actually works quite well, but I run out of propane every few hours. the only way I can work in these temps is with lots of layers of clothing, and lots of ambition/desire to get this thing done. I'll hit you up, I'd love to borrow a bigger heater. I will say that this thing surprises me though.

I have another heater that's got the built-in fan. it's the cylinder type, and it doesn't heat up any better than this Mr. Heater buddy. And it burns quite a bit more propane.

sixstringsteve

It's easy corban to work in these cold temps just layer up and totally disregard for personal coldness.

You got it Seth, total disregard for personal discomfort overshadowed by the excitement of having a rig to wheel again.

Steve i hope it's finished soon because the ground hog did not see his shadow so early wheeling is almost here! hahaha

You and me both buddy, I can't wait to have a rig to wheel again. Even though it's only been a month without my taco, I miss wheeling. Hopefully we get some early wheeling. I can't wait to go camping up AF canyon again, that's one of my favorite places to wheel. More for the scenery and overall experience than the rocks.

I'm looking forward to hole in the rock in April.

It should be drivable in a month or so. I'm still waiting on my coils and my underdrive reduction box (which may take up to 6 months). So it may be a gutless wonder for a few months.

iamsparticus

well if you need anything let me know, i do have a 1500W Electric heater that works wonders it kept our huge living room warm one winter when we turned off the furnace for awhile to save money. Anyway i want to go wheel AF canyon with you never been:-\

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the offer Seth. Did the electric heater actually save you money that winter?

Af canyon isn't hard-core at all. Most of the trails can be done in stock rigs with sliders. But it's always a good time up there. Very beautiful scenery, mineral basin has some fun spots (bypassable) that a stocker couldn't get through, and it's just good to get out and see nature. 5-mile pass is fun to crawl, but the scenery isn't anything spectacular, and Moab is too far away for a quick getaway. I wish there were more places like AF canyon. I wonder if there are more places to wheel/camp in the unintas.

zukijames

I doubt I'll get 20 MPG with 33's and toys. My 2-door got 32 MPG stock no matter how I drove it. My 4-doors have gotten between 25 and 28 (this one gets 25-26 consistently). Either way, it's a gutless motor and light car, so it helps with the MPG. I'm terrible at estimating, but I imagine I'm going to add about 500-1000 lbs to the vehicle. So that'll kill MPGs. I'm guessing i'll get 17-21 mpg. We'll see. Either way, it'll be slow up hills and canyons, but it'll get me where I need to go. My tacoma got 18-20 with 35's and it still had plenty of power.

my tintop on 33's got 22 mpg if ran premium and 18 regular.. i had stock r&p and 4.16 t case i think with the undertaker or whatever its called( that crazy cool crazy expensive reductionbox) you should get pretty decent mileage i bet you'll get 20 if you dont hot rod it :)

and in my tin top i never ran awhole tank with out atleast a little wheeling