Suzuki Steve's '97 4-door Sidekick Build (the real build thread)

zukijames

steve are you gona try prichett while its ifs.. if so goose is a good spotter and his buddy matt might have some good tips :)

ps ive always wanted to build a 4 door track/kick good wb and can hold more people and gear than a sami.. and fuel injected.. this is going to be a cool rig!

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Haha, with 11" of frame to ground clearance I doubt it could do fins n things, let alone pritchett. i won't be doing pritchet even after it's lifted.

I wish the WB were another 5-10", but it's a lot better than any other suzuki.

But this way I can come visit you in Moab more often. I won't be able to hang on your trails with you, but I can watch :)

I'm not building this to be a super capable crawler. It's more of an all-around fun/camping rig/dd. I've learned to fight the urge to keep building bigger and bigger 'till it's a buggy.

zukijames

you'll have a buggy some day i promise.. dude most trails here you could do honestly .. maybe not some of the hard lines but still.. once its done you could do prichett if you have a winch lol.. if a heep can do it you can :)

sixstringsteve

I've got a good buggy candidate, but I won't have it 'till the end of summer. But that's for a different build thread...

sixstringsteve

Back on topic...

I took the rear apart tonight. I got the third and axle shafts out, and I and cut off a few of the unnecessary brackets. Sorry, no pics.

Tomorrow night I'll get the rear housing welded up with link mounts, weld the diff plug up and shave it, and hopefully get it cut for an elocker.

I also found some used 4.56's, so that'll save me some money. Hopefully I'll get the rest of my diff stuff from Kurt tomorrow and get the rear third off to Kevin at sixstates on Wed. Then I can rebuild my front axle over the weekend.

sixstringsteve

Got some more parts from Kurt today. I almost have everything I need. I still need the 2 long elocker bolts, and an elocker skid plate/protector. I'm getting excited to begin teardown on this rig.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Spent a lot of time on the rear axle tonight. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but progress is progress.

Went from this last night:
IMG_0243.JPG

To this tonight. I promise it looks better in person.
IMG_0244.JPG

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I got the coil buckets and link brackets on. I still need to shave the drain plug and cut the housing to accept an elocker. When my toes went numb in the garage I knew it was time to come inside. It sucks welding in the dead of winter. I have to keep cracking the garage to let fresh air in, and it just gets chilly all over again. My buddy propane heater is sure saving me.

Tomorrow the rear third goes off to get gears installed. :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

yeah, it'll be ok. Thanks for offering that though. Fortunately I've done most of the cutting, so I'll be fine with my little angle grinder.

Chevycrew

Its only about $10 to temporarily swap 220 plugs, we had swap the ac plug to fit my welder when we did the cage...

But it looks good, sometimes with how much you post on here, I wonder how anything gets done.

sixstringsteve

it's easy to post from my phone. When I can't breathe the black dust in the air, I come inside and check RME for inspiration, then go back out when the dust/fumes/metal settles :)

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Its only about $10 to temporarily swap 220 plugs, we had swap the ac plug to fit my welder when we did the cage...

But it looks good, sometimes with how much you post on here, I wonder how anything gets done.

Thread hijacking I am going to make an adapter cord for it

sixstringsteve

Looking good steve!!

Thanks. It looks better in person. I need to learn how to use my camera better. It doesn't do too well on "auto" mode. I just haven't taken the time to read the 120 page manual.

I should get my elocker third back from six states tomorrow afternoon, then the axles get painted and put back together.