SUP's any experience?

sixstringsteve

I got to paddle for about 3 min. Then my wife hopped on and paddled off for the next 2 hours. She absolutely loved it. It was trickier than I thought it was going to be. I've skateboareded, snowboarded, surfed, and even windsurfed for a while in my life, and it was still a bit tricky. My wife got the hang of it though, and I can't wait to get back out on it. The biggest tip I have is to paddle on your knees for the first 5 min to get a feel for how it reacts.

She noticed that the farther back she stood, the easier it was to steer. When she stood in the middle of the board, it just wanted to track 100% straight all the time. This could be due to the needlenose design of our SUP, but moving back really helped.

It was more fun than I thought it would be, mainly because it presents a challenge. It's fun to try to learn a new skill, and the learning curve was steeper than I thought, which made it fun. I don't see myself paddling all day on one, but for an hour or two, it seems like a lot of fun. My wife can't wait to get out again.

I'll post up pics later.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Nice! I've been watching a lot of how-to's on youtube lately. The pivot turn looks pretty easy once you get the hang of balancing. But everything looks easy until you try it. ;)

[video=youtube_share;KVf04v2qO5g]http://youtu.be/KVf04v2qO5g[/video]

sixstringsteve

I definitely would have benefited from watching more instructional YouTube videos. I just kind of went for it, and my technique showed.

I'd love to take it out again. Silver Lake Flat was the perfect spot. Let me know if you want to head out and look good as you paddle next to a struggling learner.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I definitely would have benefited from watching more instructional YouTube videos. I just kind of went for it, and my technique showed.

I'd love to take it out again. Silver Lake Flat was the perfect spot. Let me know if you want to head out and look good as you paddle next to a struggling learner.

I'll let you know. My board is in SLC right now, and will be in my hands tomorrow evening. I may hit up Gunnison Res. or Palisade tomorrow evening if I get off work while there's still daylight.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Didn't get to go out last night, I had a block party to go to. But it did come and I got it all inflated. It's crazy rigid! I do see an electric pump in the near future as pumping this thing up was quite a workout in 95 degree heat.

sixstringsteve

yeah, I'm getting an electric pump as well. I was dead tired pumping mine up, and I only got it to 9 psi. That's a great looking SUP.

sixstringsteve

Not a bad idea, but it would have to be super accurate and keep it below 15psi. Theres a ton of volume too. That would tire my arb out pretty quuckly. I like the idea though.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
It was trickier than I thought it was going to be. I've skateboareded, snowboarded, surfed, and even windsurfed for a while in my life, and it was still a bit tricky. My wife got the hang of it though, and I can't wait to get back out on it. The biggest tip I have is to paddle on your knees for the first 5 min to get a feel for how it reacts.

I went out last night, and I now understand what you mean by being tricky. I tried to stand up right away, and my legs wouldn't quit shaking. So I paddled around on my knees for about a half hour, saw and got close to some Sandhill Cranes, and some other amazing birds. Then I brought it back to the shore and beached the nose a little. Then I stood up and got a feel for the board under my feet. There is a lot of muscle memory that needs to be learned. The muscles in my legs wanted to flex and tense up whenever the board would tilt from side to side, and I need to train my muscles to overcome that, and move with the board. After a bit I was able to stand and paddle around. I got about an hour total in last night. It's definitely fun and challenging right now. I am super sore in areas I've never been sore in before. I'm going out again tonight after work, and I'll try and get some pics without drenching my camera. (It's time for a gopro)

sixstringsteve

Awesome. I'd love to hear any tips you have. I've only gone about 200 yards, turned around, and came back in to shore. I'd love to compare my paddleboard to yours. The design of mine keeps it tracking too straight sometimes.

I finally rode a couple of SUPs tonight. There is a place here on the lake that has a bunch of water toys free every other Monday night at (Stansbury Lake PaddleSports). I tried out a 9'10" inflatable - I think it is this Tower model and an 11'6" hard board. I love the weight and comfort and stability of the inflatable, but the hard board was noticeably faster and handled better due to a little narrower width. It felt like it had a lot less drag. I wonder if a longer inflatable will be a little more efficient?

I didn't have too many issues getting the hang of it. I tried starting on my knees, but I was able to stand up right away and paddle around. Like Steve, I was surprised how straight they track with the fin and actually took a little technique to make more than a very gradual wide turn. I think I'm sold on the sport, though - I love the motion and the slight workout. I'd like to tryout some other boards before deciding what I want.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've been out almost every night since I got mine. I'm getting used to being on the board. I can put more effort and movement into my stroke without feeling like I'm going to fall off the board. I love my board and feel I went with the right one for me. The nose isn't as rounded so I can go faster if I want, but I can still turn relatively easy if I step back just behind the center point. I haven't fallen off the board yet, but I did get a leash when I ordered it. I'm thinking it wasn't necessary, but I like to have the added security of knowing I could pull the board back to me if I did fall off. I definitely love getting out on the water. If we can figure a time, I'd let whoever wants to try mine have a go.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Have any of you guys been out in any wind or a little rougher water? I'm wondering what it takes to make it harder to stay up on it?

Glad you bring that up. On Friday a big gust of wind came up on me. Paddling against the wind was almost futile, and the little waves did beat on the board, but it didn't seem any harder to actually stay up.

sixstringsteve

Feel free to borrow mine Eric. Id' be happy to send it with you for a week in exchange for some photos and your opinion on what you liked and didn't like.

Eric, did you take it out yet?

Sure did, last night for a couple of hours and tonight for half an hour. It rides really nice compared to the inflatable rental one I borrowed - much faster! I also tried riding around without the big fin - that is definitely what keeps it tracking straight. The little fins help, but they let it weave all over without the big fin to help. There was a little breeze tonight, but that didn't cause much problem. My little girl loves to sit down on the front of it while I paddle around. My 13yo boy hopped right on and rode around for a while. I'm still not sure if the pointed nose helps anything...probably will make more difference with a little chop.

sixstringsteve

Very cool, that's just the sort of feedback I was looking for, thanks. I think the pointy nose gives it a long waterline so it stays straighter, but I could be way off there. It looks funky, but it seems to do the job. Glad you guys are enjoying it. I'm super jealous of where you live.