The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

A 97 3800 would be a series II. Should be a bit peppier and a little lighter than the 93 I used.

I certainly could have missed it somewhere, but what 3.9 are you talking about running? The GM High Value? This cute little thing?

Yes, the GM 3.9 that is in the Impalas, and such.

If you need to take any measurements for a 3.8 (231cu) LMK.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

That would definitely help! Can you take some of the widest point of the engine, then from the most outer point (likely the crank pulley) to the back of the engine, then from the back of the engine to the engine mounts? (Hopefully that all made sense, and isn't too much of a hassle) Curious how much tubing I am going to have to get rid of.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yes, the GM 3.9 that is in the Impalas, and such.

That would definitely help! Can you take some of the widest point of the engine, then from the most outer point (likely the crank pulley) to the back of the engine, then from the back of the engine to the engine mounts? (Hopefully that all made sense, and isn't too much of a hassle) Curious how much tubing I am going to have to get rid of.
I'll get ya some measurements here soon.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Here ya go.
23" back of block to front edge of pulley.

21" width at the valve covers + 3" for headers each.

12" back of block to center of motor mounts.

One thing I like about this engine is the external oil pump, which can be changed out on the road if need be .

Here's a pic.
c92c4ab0c1110452b33a198180f69257.jpg

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The 79 will be similar to your 97 dimensionally, but they're not the same engine. The one in the Ford *might* be a Series II, but it looks more like a Series I to me... Series I and Series II are similar as well, but there are block and head differences that will change your dimensions.

Last edited:

Coco

Not much to report, it’s sitting in the garage, and the engine is on a jack stand and hoist in the frame. Trying to figure out if I want to sell it, or finish it.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Sounds like you should just need to take a break from it and go on a nice vacation to KOH, then when you get home you will have all the ambition in the world to get it back together and nothing will stop you from finishing it. Or an even better idea is to slap it together and go beat around the desert at KOH. I like the second idea better, better hurry you got 4 weeks.

Coco

Haha, KOH is nothing special in my honest opinion. I went in 2012, and was just kinda bored (granted, I didn't have a rig, and wouldn't go again without one) you could honestly see more of the race on the live feed than in person.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sounds like you need to throw a work party, invite some friends over, buy a few pizzas and root beer and get that thing back together. If you sell it torn apart, you'll get MUCH less for it. At least get it back together, wheel it with the new engine for awhile and then decide what you want to do.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Haha, KOH is nothing special in my honest opinion. I went in 2012, and was just kinda bored (granted, I didn't have a rig, and wouldn't go again without one) you could honestly see more of the race on the live feed than in person.

Ill give you 15k for it as it sits.....

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
If he sells it he will surly buy a SXS and we will never hear from him on RME again, then he will fill his fb and insta with sxs crap and i will have have to unfriend him from there. KOH is much better with a ride. There is so much to explore and wheel and its just super fun beating a rock donkey throught the desert whoops.