The demise of my Cummins trans

After all the worrying.... why did it choose now?

• Total voters

Meat_

Banned
Well it looks like I might not be saying "I can't believe my trans hasn't gone out yet" "I've been running the chip on 3 and towing with it on 2"

The last thing I towed was a shade over 10k of hay/trailer, I had it on 2 hauling ass on the freeway and all was well.

I drove it a little (100 miles at most) and haven't driven it since about Dec 12th. Today I hooked up the trailer and went to pick up Bodine's TJ to be ready to leave for the convention this weekend.....

I thought it felt a little funny on the way up, but on the way back it removed all doubt. :sick: The trans seems to be fine, and isn't running hot but with the torque converter locked (in 3rd especially) at lowest speeds it will lock the converter will slip if I give it much throttle (like more than 40% with the chip on 2). When it slips it gets a pretty good shutter to it, the truck will shake :ugh:

It is due for a trans flush (about 45k since the last flush/filter), so here's to hoping I get lucky and it's fine with new oil :-\

Otherwise I guess I'll soon be spending $5k :( on a new SunCoast :)

After all the worrying I did when it was stock, all the increased worrying when I chipped it and all the why wont it break after abusing it with the chip.... why did it choose now?

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
I voted cold because it will make it miserable to work on :-\

heh

It wouldn't seem right to me if I was working on something without frozen water all around me and wind blowing on me.... or things that are too hot to touch and no damned breeze to be found.

Besides, I wont be touching this.... it will go get a shiny SunCoast put in, and I will pick it up with a grin on my face (the grin would be increased by the fact that I would have some stage 3 injectors in my grubby mits)

Meat_

Banned
It's somewhere under 100k I've often thought about getting rid of it and getting a 6 spd, but I just like the truck and having an auto too much. And really, a clutch to hold more power isn't much cheaper than a built auto.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Voted number 5:D Because your truck wants to tow your hover TJ not Bodines and it just sh1t the bed when you pulled it on:rofl:

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
I some times worry about mine. I drive it harder than any thing I have had before and love to pass other diesels going up hill going 10 mph faster than the speed limit pulling 2 times as much as them.:eek:
I will only have it built stronger.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
You finally did it in! :ugh: I hope mine isn't next :ugh:

I'd start by doing what most people do a start blaming Dodge for putting garbage automatic transmission in their trucks :rofl:

Didn't you mention having 3.07 gears? Perhaps the cold, a big trailer, a chip, tall gears and a lead foot had something to do with it? But you said it didn't get hot...

Anyhoo I picked #5 because the others didn't make sense :hickey:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Didn't you mention having 3.07 gears?

Sorry to hear it. Gonna have to lean a little towards the gears as well.

Is yours a 12 or 24V? Tim's 1997 12v automatic trans sucked b*lls. He hated trans so much he bought a 6.0 powerstroke.

I still cant believe my 4R100 has 170k on it. Oh wait, the V10 cant make enough power to hurt it:rofl: