The family Commando build project

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I just picked up a 73 Commando for our family jeep project. I am going to swap parts from my late brother's Blazer into it and hopefully come up with a nice jeep that we can use for family trips to Moab so those who don't have a jeep won't have to rent one. I am going to use the low mileage 350 crate motor in it and plan on adding a throttle body injection system on it. I am looking at axle options but I am leaning towards narrowing the dana 44 from the Blazer for the front and looking for a waggy rear 44.
The Commando has a 304/th400/d20 d30/d44 drive train in it now but the axles are narrow track and I want something wider for stability. I have a chevy th400/205 combo from an 85 one ton that I may mix with the Blazer 205 (to get rid of the slip yoke) but I need to see how it will fit. I was also thinking of swapping output shafts between the th400s and using the d20 but the guys at RadJeeper weren't sure it would work.
This jeep came with a really high tech lift that you can see in the pictures that will need to come out. It was quite an exciting ride driving it home. I plan on doing spring over on the front to match the rear but I also have thoughts of swapping TJ coils under it.73commando.JPGlift.JPGlift2.JPG

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I love that lift LOL

Dave, you can swap output shafts between any of the TH400's, along w/the adapter. They are identical internally, with the exception of the switch-pitch torque converters from way back when. ;)

burke

Are you going to keep it a bull nose? I swapped a cj-7 front clip on a 72 and it was pretty straight forward.
I had to hold myself back from buying that 73---good luck with the build.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Are you going to keep it a bull nose? I swapped a cj-7 front clip on a 72 and it was pretty straight forward.
I had to hold myself back from buying that 73---good luck with the build.

The bull nose is going away, I have some of the cj7 parts to swap on but need a few more.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I love that lift LOL

Dave, you can swap output shafts between any of the TH400's, along w/the adapter. They are identical internally, with the exception of the switch-pitch torque converters from way back when. ;)

That's what I thought too. The th400 that came with it has the big cast adapter on the front that adapts it to the AMC 304. I'm guessing the th400 ia a buick pattern but I'm not sure.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Dave, if you want to do away with that adapter you can always get a "newer" AMC TH400 out of a 70's Wag... you've got one of the transitional deals, and I believe you're right about that Buick bellhousing. :D

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Dave, if you want to do away with that adapter you can always get a "newer" AMC TH400 out of a 70's Wag... you've got one of the transitional deals, and I believe you're right about that Buick bellhousing. :D

I was planning on using the GM th400 and swapping in the d20 output shaft from the Commando so I can use the 350 from the Blazer.

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
Yeah, I like the 73 Commando! :cool: Here is a picture of mine. Sprung over scout 44's w/ 4.56 gears spooled, 304 w/ HEI & Projection TBI, TH400, D20 w/Teralow kit & 36x13.50x15 IROK's

I really like the idea of the coil conversion. I was looking at the procomp YJ conversion. Might not bolt in, but might be able to weld it in.

Anyway, good luck on the build. You'll love it when you get it done.

Attachments

• Jeep Pix 019.jpg
    Jeep Pix 019.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Yeah, I like the 73 Commando! :cool: Here is a picture of mine. Sprung over scout 44's w/ 4.56 gears spooled, 304 w/ HEI & Projection TBI, TH400, D20 w/Teralow kit & 36x13.50x15 IROK's

I really like the idea of the coil conversion. I was looking at the procomp YJ conversion. Might not bolt in, but might be able to weld it in.

Anyway, good luck on the build. You'll love it when you get it done.

Your rig looks great. My cousin still has the Willys with the tj frame so the coil idea is gaining momentum. I will start tearing the rigs apart and finding the parts I need. I'll have to look into the Teralow for the d20 if I can sell off enough parts.