The family Commando build project

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
Your rig looks great. My cousin still has the Willys with the tj frame so the coil idea is gaining momentum. I will start tearing the rigs apart and finding the parts I need. I'll have to look into the Teralow for the d20 if I can sell off enough parts.
Thanks, that pic was back in 07. It's been beat on a bit since then. Bout time to give her a little tlc again. Did just replace the pass. side fender. Folded the old one back on a rock in a canyon up here by Evanston.

I do have another almost complete 73 mando if you need any parts. Would be willing to part with about any of it.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Thanks, that pic was back in 07. It's been beat on a bit since then. Bout time to give her a little tlc again. Did just replace the pass. side fender. Folded the old one back on a rock in a canyon up here by Evanston.

I do have another almost complete 73 mando if you need any parts. Would be willing to part with about any of it.

I do have some parts I need like side view mirrors, tcase cross member, mounting hardware for the top, steering column parts, and the trim that goes between the windshield frame and the doors. I'm sure as I dig into it I'll find more that I need. When I am done I will end up with an extra front clip for it, 304 v8, tranny, and axles. How is the body on your extra one ?

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
I do have some parts I need like side view mirrors, tcase cross member, mounting hardware for the top, steering column parts, and the trim that goes between the windshield frame and the doors. I'm sure as I dig into it I'll find more that I need. When I am done I will end up with an extra front clip for it, 304 v8, tranny, and axles. How is the body on your extra one ?
Body & top are in pretty good shape. It did come from Utah,:-\ so it has a little rust on the lower rockers & the tailgate is really rusted. Lots of usable parts. I was planning on keeping grill, radiator, driver side fender & the rest can pretty much go.

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry about the quality, it's tucked back in a corner of my yard.

Attachments

• mando pix 001.jpg
    mando pix 001.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 17
  • mando pix 002.jpg
    mando pix 002.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 17

jsudar

Just out of curiosity, what would become of the willys wagon body, should you decide to put TJ frame under your Commando? I miss my old Willys-- always looking for another.

Looks like a fun build. The Commandos are sooo much cooler than regular jeeps.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Body & top are in pretty good shape. It did come from Utah,:-\ so it has a little rust on the lower rockers & the tailgate is really rusted. Lots of usable parts. I was planning on keeping grill, radiator, driver side fender & the rest can pretty much go.

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry about the quality, it's tucked back in a corner of my yard.

I'll have to come take a look at it when I head to the Gorge. Could you PM me your address ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Just out of curiosity, what would become of the willys wagon body, should you decide to put TJ frame under your Commando? I miss my old Willys-- always looking for another.

Looks like a fun build. The Commandos are sooo much cooler than regular jeeps.

The Willys wagon would need to fine a new home. I thought of mounting it on the old Blazer frame since they are fairly close in length then finding someone who needed a project.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Here is a trial fit of the CJ front clip on the commando. It fits quite well except the fenders need to be lengthened to meet the commando lower body line. I will most likely be tubing out the fenders and will fix the issue then. I have a dana 60 for the rear of it and will be narrowing the Blazer dana 44 for the front. I still need to decide on which transfer case to go with. I have a chevy th400/205 combo which will bolt up but is a bit longer than the original th400/dana20 setup that was there. The 205 will be stronger but will give me more trouble with fit. I am still trying to see where the motor fits best before making/getting motor mount stuff.commandoCJ.JPG

Last edited:

cheepin

I don't know if the 205 will fit inbetween the frame rails.They are pretty narrow and the 205 is wide.
Looks alot better with the CJ front clip.But man please get rid of that lift.Makes me cringe when I see it.:eek:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I don't know if the 205 will fit inbetween the frame rails.They are pretty narrow and the 205 is wide.
Looks alot better with the CJ front clip.But man please get rid of that lift.Makes me cringe when I see it.:eek:

Don't worry, driving it once with that lift was enough for me. It will all come off when I put the long arms on it.

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
Lookin good Dave! Just from meeting you, I can tell it's gonna be very nice w/close attention to detail. I still have the remainder of the 73' in the back yard, if ya need more stuff!;)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Lookin good Dave! Just from meeting you, I can tell it's gonna be very nice w/close attention to detail. I still have the remainder of the 73' in the back yard, if ya need more stuff!;)

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind if I find more parts I need. I have the front clip off of my 73 if you want any of it.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
It has bounce

I realized its been quite a while since I updated this thread. Here are some pictures of my latest work on it, I got the springs and long arms in it. The welding isn't complete, there will be more plating added for strength but I wanted to see how it was going to look with the springs on it.IMGP2352.jpegIMGP2355.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The latest progress

I am really slow at posting updates but here is where it sits today. I have finished replacing rusty floor panels and coated the bottom with POR15 and truck bed liner. I replaced the PO cut off rocker panels with a boat side style sliders. I also have all of the long arms, coils, steering and sway bar stuff finished up. I now also have the body on the Jeep for hopefully the last time. I put in Shawn's roll cage in to see how it fits after my rust hole repairs (its tight). Now on to electrical, drivelines, rest of the body work and paint.IMGP3583.jpgIMGP3584.jpgIMGP3590.jpgIMGP3591.jpgIMGP3592.jpgIMGP3594.jpgIMGP3594.jpgIMGP3595.jpgIMGP3596.jpgIMGP3597.jpgIMGP3596.jpg

Last edited: