The Ham Radio Thread

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Did you actually order a radio yet? If so, which model?

I did. I really appreciate all your advice, and I truly mean no disrespect to you, but I bought a cheap BaoFeng from Amazon.
This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PTJ43FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also ordered an upgraded whip antenna, and remote speaker/Mic for easier use in my rig. I know this isn't ideal, and won't give me great range, but it is a start. I was able to use a loaner radio on my last trip that just had the rubber duck antenna on it and was able to communicate with my group ok.

My reasoning for buying the cheap radio, if anyone is interested, is that I wanted to get used to the hobby without making a HUGE investment (a couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to me). I figured this radio gave me several features, gets me started, gives me a spare HT for use outside my rig after I install a more robust Mobile setup when I get more experience and settle on my more permanent vehicle (I'm not selling my GX, but I plan to add to my stable and am undecided what my 16 yo will drive because it will depend on what I like to drive more :rofl:...), and i could use some of my gift card to get some LED light bars for my rig too instead of spending it all on a HAM. I spent about $70 total on the radio, antenna, and remote mic. I opted for the higher power radio for $50 vs the lower output ones for $25-$30 just because. I may wish i hadn't, but I won't know until it shows up and I get to play with it.

I fully intend to pick up the antenna Dempsey recommends, with a nice more permanent mobile unit once I have saved up and settled on a vehicle. Seeing what Kurt can do with his Kenwood is really cool! I intend to get an APRS radio.

This is a pretty common way for people to get licensed nowadays, so don't feel like you're the only one out there who "cheated" the system. Hardly. There is absolutely no shame in doing this. Once you have your license and you start experiencing the hobby, you'll quickly realize there are some aspects that appeal to you and some parts of it that will never interest you. Ignore the stuff that bores you. Myself, I'm not planning to scratch-build my own radio any time soon, so I don't bother to retain much of the 'hardware' stuff. If I change my mind in the future, I'll study up on it. No big deal.

Yea, I don't plan to build my own radio or antenna anytime soon. My Dad is an electrical engineer, but I didn't get his aptitude for the science from him. If he gets into the hobby (and I hope he will since I bought him the same radio as myself to push him into getting his license too), I will work with him to build stuff if he wants to.

Great job accomplishing your goal!

Exactly. What you did is perfectly allowed.

Thanks! I'm glad it worked out!

That is the best thing any new ham can do. Tune in and listen. You'll quickly get a feel for the basics, which will put you at ease as you begin making on-air contacts.

My radio shows up tomorrow, so I will start listening tomorrow. I have a couple of guys that live close that are HAM's, so I will be chatting with them as well to get tips. I anticipate asking one of them to be my Elmer...;)

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yeah, Farnsworth is right outside my living room door. I pick up 146.62 on my HT with the duck no problem.

What repeater were you thinking, Dempsey? I have my HT with me tonight if anybody is up and wants to play.

Kevin B.

My reasoning for buying the cheap radio, if anyone is interested, is that I wanted to get used to the hobby without making a HUGE investment (a couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to me). I figured this radio gave me several features, gets me started, gives me a spare HT for use after outside my rig

This was my reasoning too. I understand the Baofeng is low-end cheap, but it's so cheap that it was a no brainer to start there. Once I get it out in the wild and see how it performs I'll know if I need to upgrade to do what I want to do (pretty sure I'll want more power, but we'll see), and in the meantime the BF will make a good glove-box spare.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Hmm, based on their coverage map I figured you'd be golden.

Remember: I was attempting to use it with my own HT while sitting on my living room couch. Had I been using the mobile radio in one of my vehicles, it would have been no problem.

What repeater were you thinking, Dempsey?

I chose the 448.400 machine on the Intermountain ridge. It's about equidistant for both of us, and you don't even have any big hills in your path to it. Still, we'll have to see how well you can hit it with your standard antenna.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I really appreciate all your advice, and I truly mean no disrespect to you, but I bought a cheap BaoFeng from Amazon.

<pshaw> Dude, you have nothing to worry about. Sure, I may have listed a number of reasons why you wouldn't want to buy a Baofeng, but there are also numerous reasons why one makes sense. You made the right choice for you. I inquired only so that I would know what hardware you are using, thus allowing me to better anticipate your needs and offer more accurate advice.

My reasoning for buying the cheap radio ... gives me a spare HT for use outside my rig after I install a more robust Mobile setup

I am quoting this even though I already touched on it earlier, because I think there are numerous good reasons to carry an HT in your vehicle on the trail even when you have a permanent mobile radio mounted in your rig.

Seeing what Kurt can do with his Kenwood is really cool!

I have no idea what Kurt demonstrated, of course, but I'm glad he did. Anything that sparks the interest is good for me. :)

My radio shows up tomorrow, so I will start listening tomorrow.

Awesome. Charge that battery and let's get you listening. If I'm in my vehicle, I could probably chat with you via a repeater which is closer to you. Maybe we'll do this sometime soon.

Kevin B.

I chose the 448.400 machine on the Intermountain ridge. It's about equidistant for both of us, and you don't even have any big hills in your path to it. Still, we'll have to see how well you can hit it with your standard antenna.

I can hear it, but it's scratchy. Might have a better chance if I walked outside.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have no idea what Kurt demonstrated, of course, but I'm glad he did. Anything that sparks the interest is good for me. :)

He posted the track he recorded on his HAM on ExpeditionUtah from his recent trip to the Swell. I can take tracks on my phone, but would prefer having it in the vehicle more permanently since my phone sometimes gets glitchy... Here is a link to the thread on ExpUT.

Awesome. Charge that battery and let's get you listening. If I'm in my vehicle, I could probably chat with you via a repeater which is closer to you. Maybe we'll do this sometime soon.

Sounds like a plan!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I just spent 5 hours chasing rabbits online learning about programming my radio, repeaters, monitoring frequencies, and tons of other stuff.

I tried programming the radio with the keypad on the radio, but couldn't get it to work, so I downloaded Chirps and got it working. Now I need a call sign so I can start talking.

Kevin B.

So for those playing along, my 4 watts and stock antenna was not enough to reach this repeater from the other side of the valley. I could monitor it, but couldn't hit it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So for those playing along, my 4 watts and stock antenna was not enough to reach this repeater from the other side of the valley. I could monitor it, but couldn't hit it.

Right. But since I was sitting in my Suburban in the parking lot at work, I had a much better radio on my end... so I had Kevin try the 146.620 Farnsworth machine instead. That worked well, and we were able to make Kevin's first official radio contact. :)

sixstringsteve

Be glad you didn't get the smallest bao-feng. I couldn't hot squat with that little thing. I love the size, weight, and cost, but it just doesn't have the range. I wish kenwood would make a small, lightweight spartan one that I could take backpacking, but they only make big ones. Good call going with the bigger baofeng dave.

I wish I could chat with you guys, but I'm in AZ and it doesn't tie in to the interlink. I scan the frequencies here quite a bit, but az is pretty dead as far as activity goes...

sixstringsteve

I don't know. I'm list a lowly technician who memorized the answers to a few hundred questions. :p

It's a good thing I didn't get my general, or people would expect even more out of me.

I could do it over echolink, but I don't think I could do that easily whole driving.

Utah has a solid ham network with lots of active users. Arizona... I'm really struggling to find anyone on the airwaves. I haven't heard a single convo since I've been here.

Kevin B.

I don't know. I'm list a lowly technician who memorized the answers to a few hundred questions. :p

It's a good thing I didn't get my general, or people would expect even more out of me.

I could do it over echolink, but I don't think I could do that easily whole driving.

Utah has a solid ham network with lots of active users. Arizona... I'm really struggling to find anyone on the airwaves. I haven't heard a single convo since I've been here.

I see what you mean. Here's a list of Arizona 2m repeaters with IRLP: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/feature_search.php?type=IRLP&state_id=04&band=14 Here's Utah: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/feature_search.php?type=IRLP&state_id=49&band=14. There's lots more up here.

It says they're all open. I have no idea how to use them either, I'll try and educate myself.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm in tucson

Hmm, I do believe that is too far away for the Intertie. Perhaps I can use the 76 to connect to a repeater near you, and then we can have a QSO that way. Are there any repeaters near you with an IRLP node?

(pause while I go Googling)

Have you successfully used any of these machines? 146.700, 146.940, or 147.300. They are all IRLP nodes said to be located in Tucson.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for researching this. Most of the repeaters listed here are no longer in use and the databases aren't updated. I'll give 'em a shot though.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm yet to make an IRLP connection but would like to try. ExpeditionPortal used to have a monthly/weekly? net utilizing the IRLP connection and we talked about it on ExpUt a while back as a way to get familiar with radios and establish know comms links. Perhaps we try an organized Utah 4x4 Ham nets?