The Ham Radio Thread

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Thanks, guys.

To put things in perspective for you other hams and would-be hams, I will make this comparison:

1: the Technician test is pretty simple. Yes, there are ~400 questions in the pool, but it is mostly basic stuff and easy math.
2: the General test is not much worse. There is more emphasis on HF, naturally, but it still wasn't difficult.
3: the Extra test, OTOH, was considerably more challenging. The question pool is much larger (700+), the math is much more advanced, and there is a lot more advanced theory.

My summarized suggestion for anyone and everyone is this: just pass the Technician test and get your license, then start gaining some radio experience on 2m and 70cm. If you're comfortable with that and it meets your communication needs, feel free to stop there. If HF and long-distance operation appeals to you, then go take the next test and get your General license--this will open lots of HF frequencies to you, allowing you to chat around the globe. If that placates your desires, you can stop there. But if you find yourself longing for those last little bits of HF which are reserved only for Amateur Extras, well, then you can finally take that test as well.

sixstringsteve

Hey dempsey. I'll be installing a mobile unit in my van in the next week, and I'm trying to decide on an antenna. I want the one you have (was it 5/8?)

There are two larsen with different specs (34" long vs 37). Are they the same antenna?

http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/VHF-UHF-Dualband-Antennas/Larsen-NMO2-70B.html

Vs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007...en+antenna&dpPl=1&dpID=21rIZEgzUWL&ref=plSrch

I see your reviews on the Amazon one, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best one. A little guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sixstringsteve

Also, is there a way to hide your contact info or make it private? I want to share my callsign with a few people, but I don't want them knowing my first and last name and address. Is there a way to make my registry contact info private so Joe schmo cant just look it up?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I want the one you have (was it 5/8?)

The Larsen NMO2/70B is a 1/2 wave 2m antenna. I recommend a 1/2 wave over a 5/8 wave, simply because the 1/2 wave is far more forgiving about not being mounted over a flat steel ground plane.

There are two larsen with different specs (34" long vs 37). Are they the same antenna?

They appear to be different. According to Larsen's online product sheet, they do make a taller 37" antenna designed for 150-154 MHz and 450-460 MHz. These frequencies are outside of the ham bands and, as such, that antenna is not suited for your use. By comparison, the NMO2/70B (which is 34.5" tall) is designed for 144-148 MHz as well as 440-450 MHz, making it ideal for dual band ham radios.

I see later in the product description, the seller claims it is an NMO2/70B. Still, I am suspicious. Why is his antenna taller than Larsen's own specifications? Maybe it's an innocent mistake, but I would still avoid that seller and instead buy an NMO2/70B from a dedicated ham store (either GP or HRO).

Also, is there a way to hide your contact info or make it private? I want to share my callsign with a few people, but I don't want them knowing my first and last name and address. Is there a way to make my registry contact info private so Joe schmo cant just look it up?

Unfortunately, no. The FCC dictates that all radio license information is public, which is why it is so accessible. There are many good reasons for keeping this info public. By the very nature of DXing, it is handy to have that information at your fingertips; when you make contact with a distant ham, you can quickly find out his exact location. (This is just one more reason why most ham shacks have a functioning computer alongside the radio equipment.) For another reason, ham radio operators tend to police their own. We go out of our way to (politely) instruct those who are violating rules of operation, for example, and we also try to clamp down on those who operate without a license. Not only does having your information make this easier, it also holds each of us accountable, encouraging us to play by the rules so that ham radio does not devolve into the chaotic world of CB radio. ;)

Having said that, I can tell you this. The FCC doesn't care about where you sleep at night; they just want to have your mailing address on file. If you were to get a P.O. box, you could update your info with the FCC and tell them that. At that point, at least your exact address would be a bit harder to find.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

good stuff, thanks.

im not worried about the fcc or other hams knowing my name and address, but i do worry about 6000 youtube subscribers knowing my full name and address. im trying to decide if i want to share my ham callsign with them or not. for now i wont.

ID Bronco

Do you have an address? (I'm just a little jealous, i'd like to try what your doing, not enough to do it but a little bit)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
(A few of you have already seen this on FaceBook. For the rest of you, here is a short story.)

Since I'm not into HF radio whatsoever (at least not yet), why did I bother to get my Amateur Extra license? Two reasons. First, just to say I did it. Second, so I could be eligible for the shorter vanity call signs which are only available to those who go beyond the General class. Yes, I already tried once before to get a vanity call sign, one that was available to Technicians... but when that didn't pan out, I told myself I would become an Extra so I could choose one that was really special. The very day my Extra class showed up in the FCC's database, I immediately sent in another request for my new idea for a vanity call sign. This time, I wasn't going for something humorous; I wanted a call sign that reflected my love of Jeeping since that's what drew me into the world of ham radio in the first place--something reminiscent of one of my favorite places to go Jeeping, perhaps. This vanity was granted and went live last week.

You may now refer to me as NM0AB (for Jeep'n Moab, or Jeeping iN Moab, whichever you like more). :cool:

McFate

Nice! I'm still at the tech level, but I settled for my vanity callsign after every variation of **WTF I could apply for was already taken. But like you, my Bronco is a big reason I'm even a ham to start with, so K7BKO is good enough.

sixstringsteve

My wife just passed her technician test. I'm really proud of her. She worked hard and passed it first try. The guys administering the tests are always happy to see another woman get her license.

HamRover

Level 1 dirt flinger
My wife just passed her technician test. I'm really proud of her. She worked hard and passed it first try. The guys administering the tests are always happy to see another woman get her license.
Congrats to your wife! I was pleased when my wife surprised me and got her license as well.

It has been quite handy - so much so that my wife has never had a cell phone since. Toss an antenna on the roof and a mobile in the car - good to go!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Passed my Tech last night. The fellow I intended to buy an antenna from didn't show, so now I'm curious - will the rubber duck on my Baofeng be enough for short range simplex from inside the vehicle, or should I go looking for a magmount before this weekend?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I need to get back on the HAM

I had a cool teacher in Jr High that offered extra credit to anyone that went and got their HAM license. I went with a few friends and got my tech minus. Back then you had to be able to do morse code to be able to talk. He let us use the HAM at the school and stuff.

Sort of like "stranger things", but without the upside down ;-)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
will the rubber duck on my Baofeng be enough for short range simplex from inside the vehicle, or should I go looking for a magmount before this weekend?

Congrats again, Kevin. Be advised: you aren't legally allowed to transmit until you are issued a call sign by the FCC. That process will take +/- a week, depending on how many applications are currently being processed.

To answer your question: for very short range car-to-car communication, the stock antenna should suffice.

Sort of like "stranger things", but without the upside down ;-)

That reminds me--I need to watch more of that show. (I only saw the first episode.)