The Ham Radio Thread

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So let's talk antennas some more. I get that the fender mount isn't ideal, but when it's the only option would a dual setup with an antenna on each fender help?

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I get that the fender mount isn't ideal, but when it's the only option would a dual setup with an antenna on each fender help?

I'm going to say definitely not, particularly for any vehicle we would mount them to.

Where do you most often see dual antenna setups? On big rigs. Why do they use them? Because if they used a single antenna, the presence of their huge enclosed trailer would cause their radio signals to be very ineffective on the "off side" of the rig. But since I doubt your 4Runner is ever gonna pull such a huge enclosed trailer, you would be better off with a single 1/2-wave antenna mounted on a bracket at one front corner of a fender. Even on my Suburban (which has a Larsen NMO2/70B mounted halfway down the fender on the driver's side), I get relatively good transmit & reception even when using a repeater which is located directly behind me.

For reference, here is an old photo showing the ham antenna location on my 'Burb:
12033091_797428373689141_4440698935544846532_n.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
...on another note re: HAM. I just got notice to renew my license the past couple of weeks. ARRL and "Amateur Radio Service Renewals" offered to do it for me for a small fee. I went to http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=amateur and renewed for free yesterday afternoon. This morning I was sent a link to download my new license. Hopefully this helps someone with renewals in the future?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I passed! 35/35.

Great job!!! I wouldn't worry about the General test right away. Instead, get your call sign, then start getting comfortable with operating on 2m (and perhaps 70cm). You can always upgrade to General at any time--there is no need to rush.

Now to learn how to use my radio...

Sounds like you, Kevin and I may be getting together one evening in the near future.

Where does one go to watch for their call sign?

Ge here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAmateur.jsp

Scroll down to the Licensee section. In the Name box, type your last name. In the State box, select Utah. Then click Search in the bottom right corner. When the results screen appears, see if you are listed. (It will probably take about a week for your application to be processed, so be patient.)

EDIT: in your case since you have a common last name, you may also want to scroll down to Customize Your Results and tell it to display more than only 10 results per page. ;)

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Great job!!! I wouldn't worry about the General test right away. Instead, get your call sign, then start getting comfortable with operating on 2m (and perhaps 70cm). You can always upgrade to General at any time--there is no need to rush.

Sounds like you, Kevin and I may be getting together one evening in the near future.

Ge here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAmateur.jsp

Scroll down to the Licensee section. In the Name box, type your last name. In the State box, select Utah. Then click Search in the bottom right corner. When the results screen appears, see if you are listed. (It will probably take about a week for your application to be processed, so be patient.)

EDIT: in your case since you have a common last name, you may also want to scroll down to Customize Your Results and tell it to display more than only 10 results per page. ;)

Awesome info! Thanks! I'm down to get together and have a HAM session!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I passed! 35/35. Failed general miserably. 12/35. I'll have to see if I want to go further

Thats awesome Dave. Congratulations.

Share with the non hams how much studying you did and what your practice tests were looking like before you went and sat on the test.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
My last 2 group trips really got me interested in HAM. I procrastinated getting info until I saw this thread pop up, and got an Amazon gift card from work. I wanted to see if I could get licensed before a trip 12/17, so I knew I had to take the test ASAP (and it still isn't likely ill have my call sign before that trip). There were tests last weekend that I knew I wouldn't be ready for, or even be able to attend due to commitments, so I signed up for the test last night. The HAM Cram was on!!!

Share with the non hams how much studying you did and what your practice tests were looking like before you went and sat on the test.

My learning method may not work for others, so just throwing that out there. I started by getting setup on HamStudy.org. AWESOME site! Most of my time was spent studying the flashcards. I likely spent 12-15 hours over a week studying (read memorizing), with most of that time spent Mon-Wed this week. I went through 1/2 of the flashcards then took a practice test. I failed that PT quite badly, so I went back to the flashcards until I had seen all the questions. Once I had seen all of the questions, and the site said my aptitude was over 85%, I started taking practice tests. I took 11 or so practice tests, and scored progressively higher until i was getting 33+/35 questions right.

Since most of this stuff is foreign to me, and I hate to admit it, I just memorized answers to the questions rather than take the time to learn the theory and meaning. In the short term, I can memorize stuff relatively quickly, so that was my strategy. I did learn some of the stuff, like the formula's, so I could identify the right answer in the questions, but most of this still doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I feel like I am not alone in this too. Unless the standards change again, or the test questions aren't public knowledge anymore, you will likely have many more licensed people like me that are mostly ignorant on what they are doing with HAM. I wish I had the time to really learn the theory and logic, but I set a deadline and knew I had to get it done ASAP. Not ideal, but well within the rules as they stand today.

Most of the HAM's I've met are cool with this strategy, as long as you learn the etiquette and rules before transmitting. Before I go making an @$$ of myself on air, I will listen for a while when my radio arrives, and learn more protocol for operating. There are several guys in my neighborhood that are HAM's, so I will definitely be learning from them, and people here, about all this fun stuff.

My advice to anyone looking to take the test,
1-If you have an interest in HAM, DO IT! It isn't terribly difficult. If I can pass this test, I am sure you can too.
2-Understand your learning style and learn the info the way that works best for you. That will make it easier for you to learn what is needed to pass.
3-Don't stress about the test too much. It is pass/Fail, meaning all you have to do is answer 75% correct, so 27 of the 35 questions, to pass. There isn't extra credit or privilege for getting 35/35 right.
4-If you have time (and desire), study for the Technician and General at the same time. I knew you got a shot at General for free after you pass the Tech, but I was too rushed in studying for Tech to study for General, so I failed General. It would have been cool to pass them both at the same time, but no biggy to me.
5-If you are an electrician, or know basics about electricity and schematics, you will likely find it WAY easier than I did. I struggled with component names, symbols, theory, formulas, and logic because I know so little about all that stuff. Some of the stuff makes sense, but I am a soon to be licensed moron when it comes to the theory and science.

That is my HAM story. Hopefully it will help someone

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
... got an Amazon gift card from work. I wanted to see if I could get licensed before a trip 12/17, so I knew I had to take the test ASAP (and it still isn't likely ill have my call sign before that trip).

Did you actually order a radio yet? If so, which model?

I hate to admit it, I just memorized answers to the questions rather than take the time to learn the theory and meaning.

most of this still doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

This is a pretty common way for people to get licensed nowadays, so don't feel like you're the only one out there who "cheated" the system. Hardly. There is absolutely no shame in doing this. Once you have your license and you start experiencing the hobby, you'll quickly realize there are some aspects that appeal to you and some parts of it that will never interest you. Ignore the stuff that bores you. Myself, I'm not planning to scratch-build my own radio any time soon, so I don't bother to retain much of the 'hardware' stuff. If I change my mind in the future, I'll study up on it. No big deal.

I wish I had the time to really learn the theory and logic, but I set a deadline and knew I had to get it done ASAP.

Great job accomplishing your goal!

Not ideal, but well within the rules as they stand today.

Exactly. What you did is perfectly allowed.

Most of the HAM's I've met are cool with this strategy, as long as you learn the etiquette and rules before transmitting. Before I go making an @$$ of myself on air, I will listen for a while when my radio arrives, and learn more protocol for operating.

That is the best thing any new ham can do. Tune in and listen. You'll quickly get a feel for the basics, which will put you at ease as you begin making on-air contacts.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
With Kevin B in mind, tonight I had two fellow hams help me experiment with a few repeaters in the SW corner of the Salt Lake valley. My goal was to find a repeater that (1) Kevin might be able to hit with his HT from his home in Magna, (2) that I can also hit with my HT from my home in Lehi, and (3) doesn't use a tone for access, making it a cinch to configure a Chinese HT to access it. After our experimenting, I think I may have found the perfect repeater. It's a 70cm machine, so you'd need a dual-band radio to use it... but that's what the Baofengs are so all is well.

Now I just need Kevin to reply to the text message I sent him. ;)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
146.620 do the trick?

Nope. I bet it would be great on his end, but not for me. I can reliably hit that machine while sitting here on the couch in my living room, but there is so much steam and static that I am almost not copyable. As a result, I had to select another repeater which is closer to me.