The new rig conundrum

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You should figure out what size. (Length and Width) you're ok with and possibly expand your search. The new Tacomas are pretty large compared to the earlier ones.

You might be pleased with a quad cab Dakota, Colorado, Frontier or even some half tons. There are a lot of mid travel kits for 1500 half ton trucks and I'm just saying V8 motors make fun trucks!

You could buy a under 10 year old Chevy 1500 with an LS and install a midtravel 4wd kit for much much less than a stock 4 door taco.

Here is my gripe with Taco's: my friend has a 4 door: it's totally stock and meticulously maintained, it has 150,000 miles, with 4 guys, and only moto gear, and a tiny trailer with 14" tires 1 bike in the bed and 3 in the trailer and we struggled to hold 70 mph on the flats on the freeway all the way to St. George, and on the hills (if you can call the section of road before Beaver a hill) we dropped below 60mph (to me under 60mph in an 80mph zone is a bit terrifying). We averaged 10.9 mpg both ways.
Now I'm thinking with a bigger tire, bumpers, sliders, food, water and gear for a week, family of 3 and a RTT you'll be about the same weight or more. That poor 3.4 wasn't up to the job.

But your average half ton isn't going to even bat an eye with a 7-8k gross weight, and you'll get better gas mileage too.

Anyways something to think about.

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I have sold used cars for years, I will never buy a used car that cost more than a few grand unless it is from someone I know who has owned it sense new!! I buy my wife a new car every 2-3 years, I have seen way too much shit go down while either working at a big dealer or selling used to trust anything that came from an auction. Its like playing Russian Roulette, I don't care what auction or who the salesman is your just gambling as to whether its good or bad.

Toad

Buying a new car because it will not have problems is nothing more than a dream. There is a reason that they offer warranties. I was talking to one of the GM techs a few weeks ago told me that 90 percent of the work that they do is warranty work. I say buy a few years old. Someone else has taken that first big hit. Also the chance of buying something that is "upgraded" right or the way you want will be slim. Plus by buying something a little older the problems with that vehicle are known. When I was first out on my own I wanted a new 4.7 grand cherokee. Now I think that anything 4.7 chrysler is the biggest pile of junk on the road. Let someone else test the car out.

Tonkaman

You should figure out what size. (Length and Width) you're ok with and possibly expand your search. The new Tacomas are pretty large compared to the earlier ones.

You might be pleased with a quad cab Dakota, Colorado, Frontier or even some half tons. There are a lot of mid travel kits for 1500 half ton trucks and I'm just saying V8 motors make fun trucks!

You could buy a under 10 year old Chevy 1500 with an LS and install a midtravel 4wd kit for much much less than a stock 4 door taco.

Here is my gripe with Taco's: my friend has a 4 door: it's totally stock and meticulously maintained, it has 150,000 miles, with 4 guys, and only moto gear, and a tiny trailer with 14" tires 1 bike in the bed and 3 in the trailer and we struggled to hold 70 mph on the flats on the freeway all the way to St. George, and on the hills (if you can call the section of road before Beaver a hill) we dropped below 60mph (to me under 60mph in an 80mph zone is a bit terrifying). We averaged 10.9 mpg both ways.
Now I'm thinking with a bigger tire, bumpers, sliders, food, water and gear for a week, family of 3 and a RTT you'll be about the same weight or more. That poor 3.4 wasn't up to the job.

But your average half ton isn't going to even bat an eye with a 7-8k gross weight, and you'll get better gas mileage too.

Anyways something to think about.

No one here will argue any of those points. I can feel a huge difference just filling the seats and no gear! My truck is supercharged and still could use a bit of power, too bad we don't get the diesel out of the Hikux here.

To tell you the truth I'd welcome the slightly larger generation. Even the 3rd generation taco will be much smaller than any half ton. The Chevy Colorado is a sweet ride but it will never have the ground clearance of capability of the Tacoma. Frontiers suffer from the same issue of low hanging belly.

Capability is my highest priority.

Tonkaman

It seems 2nd gen and 3rd gen are quite similar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451971243.541497.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451971250.791377.jpg

EDIT: here's a 2015 Colorado for comparison, middle box is crew cab short bed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451972231.537434.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451972238.066575.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451972243.350144.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451972250.845053.jpg

Here is s 2015 frontier crew cab short bed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451972277.232223.jpg

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Buying a new car because it will not have problems is nothing more than a dream. There is a reason that they offer warranties. I was talking to one of the GM techs a few weeks ago told me that 90 percent of the work that they do is warranty work. I say buy a few years old. Someone else has taken that first big hit. Also the chance of buying something that is "upgraded" right or the way you want will be slim. Plus by buying something a little older the problems with that vehicle are known. When I was first out on my own I wanted a new 4.7 grand cherokee. Now I think that anything 4.7 chrysler is the biggest pile of junk on the road. Let someone else test the car out.

Don't tell me that! I'm still holding on to my last glimmer of automotive hope.

rholbrook

I say give your Taco another year. I don't think it will drop in value if any and you pretty much have all the big worked out of it. You have it set up how you like it. If you find something you like in between that time, your truck will sell fast and then step up at that time. I wouldn't get in a hurry and make a bad decision

cackalak

Personally, I think you'd be better off buying a stock 4x4 that's less than 2 yrs old, with low miles. At least you won't take the hit of buying brand new....

I just decided to get a new truck. What I'm seeing in the used market is inflated resale values that only gaps the cost of new vehicles by 10% or less. Is that worth it for a vehicle with 20-50k miles, electronic tech (if that's important) that's a few years old, and no or very little warranty period left? For me, it wasn't.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I just decided to get a new truck. What I'm seeing in the used market is inflated resale values that only gaps the cost of new vehicles by 10% or less. Is that worth it for a vehicle with 20-50k miles, electronic tech (if that's important) that's a few years old, and no or very little warranty period left? For me, it wasn't.
And that whole concept is greatly magnified with the Tacomas vs other vehicles. I bought a brand new tacoma in 2004, sold it in 2005 to buy a brand new dodge Ram. I paid retail for the tacoma, no special deal. My brother in law worked at the dodge dealership, so I got the Ram for about $8k below sticker, all said and done. Sold both vehicles with about 5k miles on them. Huge loss on the Ram, even with all those buyer incentives, little to no loss on the tacoma. YMMV, but I think if someone is thinking about Tacoma, new is the way to go, UNLESS you can get a used one with a bunch of discounted accessories (insert caveat about clean condition, good quality parts, etc, etc.)

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I say give your Taco another year. I don't think it will drop in value if any and you pretty much have all the big worked out of it. You have it set up how you like it. If you find something you like in between that time, your truck will sell fast and then step up at that time. I wouldn't get in a hurry and make a bad decision

I suppose this isn't totally out of the question yet either. But how long is long enough to wait? Do you really think I'll be able to sell it quickly for a fair price? What's a fair price to someone that has read my build thread? These are all variables.

D

Deleted member 12904

I suppose this isn't totally out of the question yet either. But how long is long enough to wait? Do you really think I'll be able to sell it quickly for a fair price? What's a fair price to someone that has read my build thread? These are all variables.

pull the good parts and trade that sucker in. Im not gonna lie I looked up new tacomas last night now Im dreaming. I have an intake manifold if you want to pull the SC to sell

Tonkaman

Has anyone here taken a new body style Chevy Colorado off-road? I'd love that Diesel engine but I don't think it could ever compare in the dirt. Am I wrong? Also I think it's re-sell value would kill me

Tonkaman

pull the good parts and trade that sucker in. Im not gonna lie I looked up new tacomas last night now Im dreaming. I have an intake manifold if you want to pull the SC to sell

That may be the best way to go this. I still have the original intake manifold, but thanks anyway. I don't have a ton of mods on this truck really.

I could pull:
-Supercharger
-front bumper (I'd need a replacement)
-winch
-sliders (if it's worth cutting them off)
-skids (never got around to installing)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'd be reluctant to buy a brand new vehicle then load it up with work crap and drive all over. I know you said you were getting a little run around on receiving a work truck but that would weigh in on my decision too. Maybe pick up a 1k beater for work and buy new for play?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'd be reluctant to buy a brand new vehicle then load it up with work crap and drive all over. I know you said you were getting a little run around on receiving a work truck but that would weigh in on my decision too. Maybe pick up a 1k beater for work and buy new for play?

I think a good little trailer would solve a LOT of his problems. I'll see what I can do about getting him one ;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

No doubt, if you're buying used you have to get in at the right price to make it worth it. And everyone has their personal preference when it comes to buying used vs. new, I don't know that I could ever buy a brand new vehicle, but that's me.

I bought my JKU 3 yrs old with 38k miles and it was pretty abused, but was priced accordingly. I beat the dealer up pretty hard too and ended up with paying what their cost was. It needed some work, but at this point I feel like I ended up with a good value, despite having to replace some critical parts. I probably couldn't have afforded a brand new JKU Rubicon, was looking at buying a new JKU Sport and for less than a new Sport got a fixer Rubicon.