The new rig conundrum

Caleb

Buying a new car because it will not have problems is nothing more than a dream.

Maybe I've gotten lucky but of the dozen or so brand new vehicles I've purchased in the last 10 years or so I've not had a single problem with any of them. Now, I can't think of any vehicle I've bought in the last ten years used that I've not had a problem with (I guess my Tundra is the exception to that). Also, even if my new vehicles have an issue, I know it's either my own mess or a factory problem, not some other hack-job's mess that I'm dealing with.

For me, even taking the new car hit, it's a no brainer. It would have to be an amazing deal with impeccable maintenance records for me to consider a used DD.

Tonkaman

I'd be reluctant to buy a brand new vehicle then load it up with work crap and drive all over. I know you said you were getting a little run around on receiving a work truck but that would weigh in on my decision too. Maybe pick up a 1k beater for work and buy new for play?

I plan to inform my boss that I made a new vehicle purchase and its allergic to company tools. This will actually push that situation into decision time on their end. Win win!

Tonkaman

For me, even taking the new car hit, it's a no brainer. It would have to be an amazing deal with impeccable maintenance records for me to consider a used DD.

Im surprised more people having shared this opinion. It's a no brainer for me as well if comparing apples to apples. The only way I'll go used is if it's got a huge discount in the accessories I want.

The more and more we talk this out I find myself gravitating toward the 2016. It's ironic because I was against new at first and Elaina was against used. Now she wants me to go look at the CBI truck! If only I had an extra $20k to get the build rolling on a new truck...

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm done buying used for a daily driver. I've never had major problems but when there is anything that needs to be done it either sits in a shop too long or taken apart in my garage too long. I don't have time to deal with stuff like that. I bough my first new truck in 13. It was a rock warrior tundra. Then I bought a new rock warrior in 14. Then I bough a new 3500 Denali in 15 as well as my wife's tdi q5. It's now 16 and I'm picking up my new Denali 3500 tomorrow. It's nice knowing that everything is always taken care of including oil changes. Sure I take a big hit in the beginning but I'm not getting loans on my vehicles and it works out for my business tax wise. It's a wash for me to get a new truck every year.

Tonkaman

How is factory warranty effected by all these modifications? If I buy a new truck and put on a lift, and 35's will I be screwed when I have to warranty drivetrain components? I'm new to this whole warranty concept.

Cascadia

Undecided
How is factory warranty effected by all these modifications? If I buy a new truck and put on a lift, and 35's will I be screwed when I have to warranty drivetrain components? I'm new to this whole warranty concept.
I don't know but I don't imagine you having any problems with drivetrain parts before the warranty runs out.

Caleb

The magnuson moss act says they can't deny your warranty work if the parts you installed didn't cause the problem. I know with Toyota, the lift and tires aren't a problem, they'll even do it at the dealership for you and wrap it in to the cost of the vehicle. I bought my Tundra from Karl Malone with a 6" lift and 35s with a full warranty. Now if you put an aftermarket chip in and blow the engine as a result, I think you'd be screwed. Toyota does offer superchargers though :D

Corban_White

I bought a new tacoma in late 2006 (2007 model) for exactly the reasons listed. The used ones were barely less $$ than new and they had lots of miles. Since then I have purchased several used vehicles and only one has been trouble free. That said, I put a CBI rear bumper on my tacoma and talked to the owner a bit when I went up to pick it up. They make nice stuff and are fairly detail oriented so I would assume that the truck has been taken care of. I say go new unless you find a nice used build that "feels right" when you look at it/talk to the owner.

Pike2350

Caleb is correct....they can't legally deny warranty if the modifications didn't play a role in the failure...the problem you run into is if they want to be dicks about it, they can say it did, and then you'd be stuck trying to prove otherwise.

If you know you want a lift, and happen to know the lift, you are better off buying it from the dealer already installed. However, the other benefit you have, most of the major kit manufacturers are now offering a warranty of their own. It's really just peace of mind, but Fabtech, Pro Comp, BDS, etc, now offer a warranty on original drivetrain components for the 5 year/60,000 mile like you'd get from the factory. This is from original "in service" date on the vehicle, not on the kit install date...so if something went wrong and the dealer denied you, you could go to the kit manufacturer if they have this warranty and get it addressed.

If you aren't after one of these kits (which most on these types of boards aren't) then you should still be ok, but it may be a bit of a headache if the dealer is a dick about stuff.

Tonkaman

Caleb is correct....they can't legally deny warranty if the modifications didn't play a role in the failure...the problem you run into is if they want to be dicks about it, they can say it did, and then you'd be stuck trying to prove otherwise.

If you know you want a lift, and happen to know the lift, you are better off buying it from the dealer already installed. However, the other benefit you have, most of the major kit manufacturers are now offering a warranty of their own. It's really just peace of mind, but Fabtech, Pro Comp, BDS, etc, now offer a warranty on original drivetrain components for the 5 year/60,000 mile like you'd get from the factory. This is from original "in service" date on the vehicle, not on the kit install date...so if something went wrong and the dealer denied you, you could go to the kit manufacturer if they have this warranty and get it addressed.

If you aren't after one of these kits (which most on these types of boards aren't) then you should still be ok, but it may be a bit of a headache if the dealer is a dick about stuff.

^^^ this was more of my concern. Is it fairly uncommon for Toyota to jerk you guys around on this kind of stuff?

Tonkaman

Sadly that CBI truck I linked earlier is sold already [emoji25]. It was the ONLY used truck I've come across that tempted me. I suppose that will make my decision easier, but it would be nice to have options.

Pike2350

^^^ this was more of my concern. Is it fairly uncommon for Toyota to jerk you guys around on this kind of stuff?

Honestly, I have no idea. I didn't hear of a lot of horror stories when I worked at Jack-It (but I worked in purchasing and accounting) We did (they still do) sell a lot of kits to the dealers to install before selling them...just like Caleb got. It would depend on the lift you wanted...but I would assume, you'd be ahead just having it bought on the truck already.

I think many of the dealers know that people are onto the laws about it and don't try too often, but I honestly don't know for sure. It may just take pointing out if they tried that you are aware of the law and that they can point out how the modifications caused the failure, but I wouldn't imagine many would try and pull a lift causing the engine or trans to fail...maybe a tcase, but even then, it would be hard to do when they sell the trucks lifted off the lot all the time.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Someday I'll live in the world of new trucks, but until then I'm quite content with no car payments for the last 7 years.
Work to live not live to work is my motto.

However, I believe, we should never fault anyone for how they choose to spend their time as long as their being good people. I'm just nervous beating up something I don't own outright or something I have to worry about getting upsidedown in if it breaks.

It all depends on how long you keep a vehicle. I keep a truck until I've worn out it's usefulness, so resale value means very little to me.
Therefore vehicles that depreciate big in the first 5 years are a boon to guys like me because I save tens of thousands of dollars off retail.
But if you need the new hotness every few years obviously you're going to want to look at something that will hold it's value.

Ultimately a vehicle is a tool. A bread knife doesn't fit in your pocket like a Swiss Army knife, but a pen knife won't cut bread very well.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I didn't read every word of this thread, so if I missed something (like perhaps the point), forgive me.

I bought my 2010 taco in 2013 for about 10% less than what a new 2013 truck was going for, and it had 12k miles on it. My biggest regret is not just getting the new truck. The tacoma is an interesting case study since they are in so much demand, they don't devalue like other vehicles seem to. I paid like 29k for my truck, and 3 years and 65k miles later I could still probably sell it for like 25k, which is crazy to me.

My plan for the last year or two has been to trade in this coming summer for a 2017. Give the new motor and truck a production year to work out the kinks and then get a new one. All of the returns I've heard from people on that new 3.5 motor is that it sucks. It's basically the toyota version of that anemic 3.8 that jeep put in the 4 door wranglers for a few years. It's more powerful and efficient on paper, but every person I've spoken to (including some toyota techs) all say it feels gutless, hunts for gears on even small hills, and doesn't get any better mileage than the 4.0. I already feel like my 4.0 is underpowered, and I don't want to get into a truck that on 33's will be wrapped out trying to do 60 over Parley's.

I'm definitely going to look at the diesel Colorado's when they land. It's a good looking truck and I think Chevy has made major progress in the reliability department. 600 mile range on a tank is super appealing, as is the diesel, but there isn't a lot of support for aftermarket suspension out there for them (yet?), and I've grown very accustomed the the lack of maintenance and upkeep my Tacoma has required in the last few years. For someone without a garage or the time to dig into even minor fix-it projects, that's a huge consideration.

I've always been a used car guy, but the older I get, the more I appreciate the reliability, warranty, and knowledge of where it's been that comes with a new vehicle. You might lose in depreciations, but there is value to peace of mind.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I picked up a new 3/4 ton Chev a couple months ago. I didn't price the half tons, but there were probably 20-30 new half tons for every 3/4 ton on the lot and they were dealing on them big time. Given the numbers in stock then, I'll bet you could still get a deal on a new 2015 1500.