The Snowshoeing Thread

sixstringsteve

Fender, Eric, and I hit the trail around 6 PM and headed towards the summit. There as about an inch of snow on the pavement in the parking lot. We started with our snowshoes on, though we would have been fine with Yak Tracks for the first 1/2 mile. We were moving along pretty quickly (or else I am REALLY out of shape). Either way, we were breathing heavy the entire trip. It was surprisingly warm up there. I'd guess 40* when we started. I didn't need a beanie or gloves the entire time.

After lots of heavy breathing, we made it up to the first meadow, 1.5 miles later. We continued .5 miles on up to the second meadow. Up to this point, we were following other snowshoers' tracks. After the second meadow, we followed some xc ski tracks. Somebody before us had put some SERIOUS miles beneath their skis.

Towards the top, there was a little bit of fog that would freeze to the branches, making these really cool ice crystals.

IMG_20140130_200146_517.jpg

IMG_20140130_200154_343.jpg

IMG_20140130_200206_992.jpg

About 20 minutes later, we arrived at the summit parking lot.

IMG_20140130_200759_166.jpg

IMG_20140130_200845_068.jpg

We had planned on taking trail 159 down to timpanookie, but the skiiers hadn't been there, and we didn't feel like breaking trail (and I've never done this loop in the snow before). So we just backtracked back to the car. It's amazing how much faster you can go when it's downhill. It got chilly quick, and we found ourselves in the middle of a cloud towards the top. It was pretty cool. We got back to the car at 9:37 PM.

Eric is a beast, I was definitely holding him back. It was a great trip.

Details:
Distance: 6.31 mi
Total Time: 3:37:38
Speed: 1.7 mph
Pace: 34:29 / mi
Elevation Gain: 1720 ft
Elevation loss: 1720 ft

Link to GPS tracks

Perfect trail and pace last night, Steve! You were moving as fast as I wanted to go. There was just enough new snow to make it fun and give us a workout. I'm a little stiff this morning. If I keep this up every week, i'll be in great shape for hiking season!

sixstringsteve

I'm definitely feeling it too. I need motivation from others to keep me getting out once a week.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

You name the time and place. I'm pretty tired from last night's hike, so I'll be moving pretty slow.

Works perfect for me since I am slow to begin with. lol

American Fork Canyon works for me since I will be down that way anyways. You know the trails in there better than I do. 40 - 41 loop sounds fine unless you want to do something else.

sixstringsteve

we could also go up towards horsetail falls if you'd like. Trailhead is about 10 minutes from the mouth of AF Canyon. I'm game for anything.

Rock Taco

I dont know if you could call it organized but it was fun. Maybe I will try my hand at a video from the footage I took.

sixstringsteve

We got some snow at my place last night, which probably means an inch or two up AF Canyon. Anyone want to head up for a short hike tonight?