Thinking about a Chevy Astro Van for light camping/offroad adventures...

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I saw one of these vans full of kids flip end over end right in front of middle of main street in tooele. It flipped at least four times. Luckily everyone was wearing there seatbelt. No one got hurt except from the glass scratching them. The windshield was improperly installed and popped out but the roof held up regardless. I was impressed.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I picked up a GMC Safari in Beaver or thereabouts when I was driving tow truck (in fact that vehicle is the reason I hate straps and use chains to tie my crap down). It had rolled A LOT down i-15. I was fairly impressed with the rollover characteristics. (LOTS of blood in that one...I don't think people were wearing seat belts)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
What I've learned from this thread so far:

1.There are more van weirdos on RME than I thought. Sweet!
2. Astro Vans in crashes: Rolls, good, running into things, really really bad
3. Chains not straps
4. 4wd Astro steering < 2wd Astro steering

Bart

I didn't read all of this but want to add that I have a good friend that did a slight build on an AWD Astro. He has taken it through Death Valley. It's definitely not a hard core wheeler but is built for exploring and camping. Even has a cool winch bumper.

ClimberDave

I see this thread has been dead for some time but wanted to comment.
I Came across it using Google looking for info on 4WD parts for Astros.
I am in the market for something that i can also camp/sleep in comfortably. I do a lot of climbing and would like a vehicle that I can sleep inside of at the trailhead without having to unload it. Since these trips usually involve 400-600 miles of driving something that gets good mileage would be ideal. While it doesnt have to be very off road worthy it would be a bonus. At times we have approaches using unmaintained mining roads etc... some of which can be nasty ( my friends get by with stock jeeps and a stock Yukon)
To make it even more appealing I saw a place that convert them and will install a pop top and/or bed or..? http://coloradocampervan.com/Camper...nversion/chevrolet_astro_van_conversions.html

Regarding the crash worthiness I thought I read that it improved in later year models.

I also considered a Ford E series as the "estimated average" mileage was only like 1mpg less than that of the Astros, and the same place could convert it for camping as well. (but have heard stories of that they get <10 MPG and I couldnt afford to drive it if that was the case.

So just curious, did you ever pull the trigger on an Astro? IF not what did you end up with?
Regarding E series vans. Any opinions on them? Reliability etc... How about vans converted to 4wd? Anybody have any recomendations on shops that make the conversions?

sixstringsteve

I ended up with a Toyota Tacoma. This thread was more for entertaining my hare brained thoughts of what it would be like to own one.

check out ujoint offroad for full size van conversions.

I think a stock 4wd pickup truck with a shell would meet your needs just fine.

ClimberDave

Had considered a 4wd truck but would like to be able to carry 3-4 passengers plus wanted a bit more ammenities.

Even considered a truck with a Four Wheel Drive pop up camper,but those things arent cheap!!