Thinking about a Chevy Astro Van for light camping/offroad adventures...

sixstringsteve

I worked for a non profit agency that had one for running our clients around. I took it to help move a client from her old home (in spite of her best efforts to convince me to take my truck) and ended up stuck for several hours until we could find someone to pull me out. The road was good but there was no weight in the rear to help us get traction to get out. Ours also got 18-20mpg and had the 4.3 litre engine.

Was that an AWD or a 2wd?

Seven

My friend ran one for several years that someone before him had added a dana 44 to the front. It had 33's on it. It is in prett ruff shape right now 4.3 engine runs however the auto transmission is in need of a rebuilt and it has been missing a couple windows for a couple months. I am pretty sure if you showed up with $350 He would sign over the title to ya. It would take quite a bit of work but you would have you pretty cool van

5ues8z.jpg

5pr5lz.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My experience with Astro's....they do not land very well, and the engines are difficult to pull when using them as donors. They have cool steering boxes though.

Caleb

My experience with Astro's....they do not land very well, and the engines are difficult to pull when using them as donors. They have cool steering boxes though.

Yeah, the motor for my buggy came from my parent's astro right after they had a new engine put in :rofl: It was a pain to pull :)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I really wanted Astro Vans, small but big enough, decent mileage, etc.. but then I saw this, and decided that I will never, ever put myself of any of my family in one.

[video=youtube_share;8kuSghb7P7U]http://youtu.be/8kuSghb7P7U[/video]

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I have nothing brilliant to add other than this is one of the funniest threads Ive read in a while. Ive got an astro Im getting ready to yank the 4.3 out for my Sami/sideXside project.
I also used one for mobile autoglass for a couple years, we abused it hard and couldnt kill it.

sixstringsteve

I really wanted Astro Vans, small but big enough, decent mileage, etc.. but then I saw this, and decided that I will never, ever put myself of any of my family in one.

[video=youtube_share;8kuSghb7P7U]http://youtu.be/8kuSghb7P7U[/video]

/thread. Suddenly my enthusiasm for an astro is gone...

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Go for the full size ford econoline van with the 4x4 conversion. You can have the bathroom and all installed in those!