time for another ham radio discussion

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Bump...so who is going to be there next Tuesday night? (week from tomorrow)

I have read all the way through the manual once, and have re-read a few sections a second time. I have not yet tried any practice tests yet, though. Sounds like that is my next move.

I have read all the way through the manual once, and have re-read a few sections a second time. I have not yet tried any practice tests yet, though. Sounds like that is my next move.

Yup, definitely start taking the practice exams. You don't even need to be all the way through the manual, cuz you can also learn as you go.

Brutal...just barely passed two practice exams. I need to keep up on this stuff better.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Yup, definitely start taking the practice exams.

I finally had a chance to do this the other night. On my first one, I failed it by one question. I immediately took another exam and passed that one by one question, so I guess you could say I was averaging about 75%. Last night, I went back and re-read two sections of the book that I knew I was hazy on, then tried another exam--this time I scored 80%. So I guess I'm moving in the right direction.

I plan to put some more time into it this evening.

I confirmed that the test session mentioned above on the 30th is still on. $14

I'm planning to be there. :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've spent some time at qrz.com taking their practice tests. This is a great resource, as they (a) track the questions you miss, (b) ask these questions again as you re-take the test, (c) shuffle the answers to make it a little harder, and (d) encourage you to keep taking tests until you've seen all the questions. I have seen 391 of the 396 questions so far, and am doing consistently well.

Besides various members of the Davis family, will any other RMEers be there taking the test on Tuesday?

rambrush

After all of the studying and practice exams, take a look at General normally you can pass it pretty easy after all of the study time for the tech. Go sit and take the tech exam and then if you are successful then take the General at the same sitting as there is usually not a extra fee as you are already there. Good luck
I did the Tech and then General in one session then came back for Extra. The Hobby will grow on you

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
After all of the studying and practice exams, take a look at General normally you can pass it pretty easy after all of the study time for the tech.

That web site also has practice tests for General (and Extra), so it would be easy for me to try one of those and see how I do.

rambrush

Give them a shot as there is quite a few questions that are covered on both exams. Or at least I thought so as I did both on the same day. Then VEC gave me the extra and surprise I did not pass that sucker took a bit of studying to pass it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Give them a shot as there is quite a few questions that are covered on both exams.

I started a General exam and kept a tally of my missed questions. Once I missed 10 (ie--failed the test), I quit. I thought about trying again, but quickly decided against it--I don't want to confuse myself and screw up my Technician test. I've gotta prioritize the task at hand.

Speaking of, I have now taken the online Technician practice test 24 times and have seen all the questions at least once. Other than my very first test (where I failed by a single question), I have passed them all. I know I won't have time for any last-minute review tomorrow, so I admit I'm going overboard with this practice... but I probably have nothing to worry about.

Awesome! My son is a little worried. He's passed a few, and clicked out of even more when he saw he couldn't pass. Man, it makes me wonder how Matt did it, he barely studied compared to Noah.

There is also a test on Saturday morning in case he doesn't pass...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My son is a little worried. He's passed a few, and clicked out of even more when he saw he couldn't pass.

Tell him to keep at it. At least with qrz.com, they give you missed questions on future tests in order to verify that you're learning the material. It really does help your test scores to trend upward. Example: on my first five tests, my average score was only about 77%... but on the last five tests I've taken, my average score is about 97%.

Assuming he has time to keep practicing tomorrow, I'm sure he'll make it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Great news! I passed my Technician exam tonight, as did 10-year-old Noah (which impressed pretty much everybody present). I know Brett is one proud papa.

Now I need to begin discussing which radio(s) to purchase....

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Now I need to begin discussing which radio(s) to purchase....

No time like the present - how small do radios get? Any smaller than DIN size? I was looking around my truck the other night and trying to figure where I'd put one discretely, and I wonder if maybe right above my sun visor would work. Are there skinny HAM radios that would fit up there?

rambrush

Congrats!!
Be cautious of where you are mounting the new radio. Above the sun visor gets pretty warm here and can cook a radio. Likewise anywhere it can get sun direct on it. Sun shades on the windshield while parked helps quite a bit. Under a seat with separate face plate is the best option ( but keep in mind air flow for cooling). You just don't want to be distracted and have to take eyes from road to see whats what on the radio.