time for another ham radio discussion

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
how small do radios get? Any smaller than DIN size?

The Yaesu FT-1900R measures 5.5" wide x 1.6" tall x 5.7" deep. That sounds pretty compact to me. The more powerful FT-2900R is just a bit larger at 6.3" x 2" x 7.3" (though you'll want some space around it for the heat sink to function properly).

You can find some where you mount the "faceplate" wherever you want, and the radio itself somewhere out of the way.

True, though these models do cost more.

Slight topic shift:

I know I am brand new to the hobby, but I am still debating over one criteria when choosing a radio: multi-band capability. The two Yaesu radios I mentioned above are great units, but they only operate on 2 meter frequencies. Is it worth stepping up to a dual-band radio (such as the FT-7900R) that can also transmit on 70cm? Or would that be ludicrous overkill for someone like me?

rambrush

No it is not overkill and should be included. You may even get into APRS and need the 2 Meter for APRS while monitoring a 440 machine. Depends on what you have in your area and where you may travel to.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Just for kicks, I decided to check the FCC database and see if my license has been granted. Hey, look--there I am!

KG7ETK checking in. :)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Just to chime in. I took the technician test this morning and passed. :)

They offered me the general test and the tech test only took a couple of minutes so I thought what the heck!

Needless to say the general was quite a bit more extensive than I studied for and I bombed it.

But for those interested, all I did was attend a class last weekend. Studied a bit this week and took the exam today. Not as scary as I thought.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I received my license in the mail yesterday. :cool:

I was still hoping a few others (Brett, Marc, etc) might chime in on the single band/dual band debate.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I received my license in the mail yesterday. :cool:

I was still hoping a few others (Brett, Marc, etc) might chime in on the single band/dual band debate.

For what I use mine for, I'm fine with single band. There may come a day when I regret that? 2meter works for me. Brett has dual band if I remember correctly. He's a much more active HAM than I am, though. For whatever reason, I don't "need" someone to talk to on the way home from work and don't get on much unless I'm headed somewhere.

Just a curiosity point. I've HATED the programming interface on my 1802. I use a "CHIRP" computer program to program it. Not exactly ideal if I need to make changes while I'm out and about. I'm surprised the radio mfg. haven't had a lot of feeback about making the radios easier to use? Once they are setup, they're fine and you never touch the settings again. EVERY time I need to make a change, I have to get out the manual that's converted from Chinese (?) by software. Not exactly ideal, IMHO. I've only got Yaesu radios. Maybe the Kenwood or ICOMs are cooler and more intuitive?

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I guess the interesting part of dual band for me is using the 70cm to tie into a satellite and then autopatch into a phone line when I am out in the boondocks hunting where I cant get cell signal... But hey I am the rookie here. :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've got each model, single band models in my Taco, 40 and hand-held a a 2M/70CM in my 100 Series. I've now had my ticket for 8? years now and have yet to do much at all on 70cm. Obviously there are plenty of neat uses for all sorts of different bands but for recreational 4x4 users, I think my estimate of 5-10% 70cm users is likely way high... I just don't ever hear of people using it and furthermore if someone has 70cm, they likely have 2M too. It's kinda like having sidebands on a CB :D

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Hmm, perhaps a single band unit will be just fine after all. I really don't envision myself becoming any sort of ham radio "nut" anyway; it is reassuring to hear feedback from you guys.

Financially, it would be great to stick to single band. For example, here are online prices for three Yaesu mobile radios I have been studying:

FT-1900R (2M, 55w): $126
FT-2900R (2M, 75w): $135
FT-7900R (2M 50w & 70cm 40w): $319

Maybe I'll just order a 2900 and be done with it.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Just took a look at this site. I got my license the hard way when you had to pass code when I was 65 years old so I have been using it for 18 years. Used for communication during Baja 1000, 4x4 trips, RACES, Church emergency check in, and just shooting the breeze. Never really got hooked because most 4x4 stuff was on CB. I have my original Realistic HTX 202 7.5V to 13.6 V (2.5W to 6W) that can be had for $40 to $100. I use a Mag mount 1/4 wave or a J-pole I made out of 1/2" copper tubing. To me all aspects of Ham are interesting and worthwhile if you have the time and make time for it. Welcome to the world of Ham Radio. It was also fun to make your own R/T and experiment with all kinds of electronic stuff. Remember crystal radio's and TRF/superhetrodyne radio's.