To tub line or not to tub line?

ZUKEYPR

05 LJ, Daily Driver - considering yanking the carpet and lining the tub with linex or something (not particularly found of Rhino). Tired of trying to get two huskies worth of hair off the carpet and what not.

Pros and cons of those who have done it?

Any particular brand to leans towards or run away from?

Thanks

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Lizard Skin makes a sound damping product and they sell the tools that allow you to apply it yourself, if you're interested. I don't personally have experience with it and how it compares to Linex, especially over time but they seem to make a good product. I wanted to spray their ceramic thermal insulation on my Jeeps hardtop, to keep the heat out in Summer and keep warm air in during Winter.

idahoyj

I'll get mine done if I have the cash when I get to that phase of my build. I know a few guys who have liner in their rigs and they all love it.
All of the LineX that I have seen is much more consistent texture than ANY of the other products. LineX is more hard-plastic-ish than the Rhino, which is more soft-rubber-ish. Rhino is usually more like cottage cheese type texture.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
... I wanted to spray their ceramic thermal insulation on my Jeeps hardtop, to keep the heat out in Summer and keep warm air in during Winter.
Greg, the best thing I ever did for my jeep (and about the cheapest) was to paint the center area of the top white. I just used a couple of rattle cans from HD (the Rustoleum 2x pro stuff covers well). An the IR thermometer logged a 25* drop in the temp of the underside of the top and unless you are over 6' tall you can't tell from the side.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I wandered if lizard skin was tough enough to be a bed liner or had to be covered with carpet to survive wear and tear

RogueJeepr

Here!
Greg, the best thing I ever did for my jeep (and about the cheapest) was to paint the center area of the top white. I just used a couple of rattle cans from HD (the Rustoleum 2x pro stuff covers well). An the IR thermometer logged a 25* drop in the temp of the underside of the top and unless you are over 6' tall you can't tell from the side.

Yes X2 on that. I converted my YJ to a white hardtop. Best thing I ever did to it. Made our moab trip that much more comfortable. It was almost like having AC while driving at low speeds with the cool air coming in the air vents.
That's why boats are white, reflects sun/heat.

Toad

My cj7 is lined. Absolutely love it. I left a few of the drains removable. When I get it dirty I vacuum out the large stuff. Then take the hose and a bucket of dish soap with a scrub brush and it shines up like new. I have no idea what brand it is. One of the local body shops in Logan does it. Getting ready to do a buddies TJ in the next couple weeks.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

Lizard Skin makes their ceramic coating in White, my thought was to paint the whole top in white but I wasn't sure if it would match the Jeeps factory White color, so that's where I stopped.

In the end, I added HotHeads insulation panels to the top and rear window surrounds and it made a huge difference in how the top handles heat, cold and noise!

I couldn't believe how much heat gets transferred thru the stock JK hardtop in the Summertime! I'm 6' 4" and could feel the heat on my head before the HotHeads.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My jeep was white as well and the Rustoleum 2x pro stuff was a near perfect match. Also at a mere 6' tall I seldom saw it.

carsonc1974

Something nobody has mentioned. Make sure all your fab work/welding is done because it's a serious pain to work around and clean up/remove. SERIOUS PAIN!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I used Hippo liner on my last YJ. I really liked the texture, it's quite smooth, I added textured additive on the door sills for antislip and ceramic thermal additive. I did it on the hard top as well and it make it significantly quieter and cooler.