Today I Want This....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The picture of the engine is too dark, but it should have the 351w since it has a VIN 2. Not a high output beast, really hobbled with emissions restrictions. The 400 was better, but not by a ton in the cars.
A built 351w with plenty of speed parts could easily double the factory horsepower that came with that car. That would be a fun build. Swapping in a big block would be a lot more work.

4x4_Welder

A built 351w with plenty of speed parts could easily double the factory horsepower that came with that car. That would be a fun build. Swapping in a big block would be a lot more work.
The 400 it would have used had a small block pattern, they're getting hard to find.
I had a 70 Galaxie with the 300hp high compression 351w, and that thing could haul ass despite being a huge heavy car. If only the steering and brakes could have pretended to keep up with it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
All of this.

Even though it wasn't a factory option, I bet a big block would fit in that huge engine bay. 460, anyone?
Ford made that more difficult with their various motor mount and bellhousing combos as opposed to GM. The big block would be a big bonus, but be prepared for a lot of adapting and fab work to fit it.

4x4_Welder

Ford made that more difficult with their various motor mount and bellhousing combos as opposed to GM. The big block would be a big bonus, but be prepared for a lot of adapting and fab work to fit it.
The Lincoln had a 460, so it'd just be a matter of sourcing those parts. Fords were like legos in this era.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.