Tonkamans little Cracka

Tonkaman

Your string of bad luck with this truck is amazing. Have you considered having a priest perform an exorcism?

Ha ha it's definitely not out of the question!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451523541.611335.jpg
Here is where the ball joint broke, you can see it's right where the stud meets the ball. It was a total PITA to get out of the LCA. I had to lift the truck in the air with the weight on the ball joint, heat up my LCA super hot, and hit it hard with a sledge hammer repeatedly. When the truck hit the ground it hit so hard that the remaining stud was slightly bent, that explains why it was so hard to press out. The impact also bent the outer tie rod stud so it got replaced as well.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Holy smokes Derek! If it wasn't for how nicely things have broken on this I'd say it may be time to hang it up. The fact that its broken in semi-convenient times/places makes me unsure. I'm sure this is just more ammunition that the Mrs. is going to use right?

ricsrx

my neighbors broke when he was pulling out of the driveway, because he was turning it pull the axle shaft out of the front diff and dumped the gear oil in the street...

and im out beating the 4runner snow wheeling and the whole time im thinking the ball joint should be failing any time now.....

rholbrook

Look at your suspension geometry. Could there being anything bent or installed incorrectly putting some unnecessary pressure on the joint some how? As the suspension moves up or down, is it moving without goofy motion or pressure. Just seem weird it has happened twice in a year.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I think its time you burn this to the ground and get something more reliable. Solid axles for the win.

Either I'm the luckiest guy around or I've just taken out a loan on my luck for the next decade.

View attachment 102698
View attachment 102699
View attachment 102700
View attachment 102701

The LBJ sheared the stud right in half! Luckily I was pulling in my driveway when it separated. Apparently the bump where my driveway meets the street was too much for this Tacoma to handle ha ha. This is the second time in about a year I've escaped a totaled truck or worse.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
After riding in my spacious F150 EcoBoost you still want a Tacoma.

It's worse than that. After his wife practically handing him the checkbook to go buy one, he hasn't bought a new F150 OR a Tacoma. I gotta back up a fellow Toyota guy, but I'm starting to wonder if he's right in the head.

Tonkaman

and im out beating the 4runner snow wheeling and the whole time im thinking the ball joint should be failing any time now.....
Sorry to plant the paranoia in your head. I've got a brand new ball joint, and I still expect it to fail any minute!
Look at your suspension geometry. Could there being anything bent or installed incorrectly putting some unnecessary pressure on the joint some how? As the suspension moves up or down, is it moving without goofy motion or pressure. Just seem weird it has happened twice in a year.
There isn't anything obvious going on under there. The steering/suspension components all wear evenly. In fact none of these parts were even close to worn out yet.
After riding in my spacious F150 EcoBoost you still want a Tacoma.
Ha ha yea I know it sounds silly. Your truck is definitely the most comfortable ride I've ever experienced. The end goal for me is being able to push foreword down a tight or technical trail. When I'm out exploring I hate being forced to turn around because the truck isn't up to the challenge. Since I've swapped to my Tacoma I've gone far more places than when I had a full size rig. I'm more than willing to sacrifice comfort to satisfy my need for adventure.
I think its time you burn this to the ground and get something more reliable. Solid axles for the win.
Your definitely not alone on that opinion. I've had many day dreams about satisfying my inner pyromaniac...

It's worse than that. After his wife practically handing him the checkbook to go buy one, he hasn't bought a new F150 OR a Tacoma. I gotta back up a fellow Toyota guy, but I'm starting to wonder if he's right in the head.

I'd really like to buy a very clean well built rig. Something with really low miles and all the bells and whistles. If that pops up I might just get serious about it. The tricky part will be selling this truck, I'll have to delete this thread before anyone will consider looking at it!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

Tonkaman

No doubt that is a badass truck. Unfortunately not having 4 full size doors is a deal breaker. I think buying a truck with that many miles would kind of negate the purpose of a new rig also.