Tony's buggy build

RockChucker

Maybe it was having ptsd from your Pritchett nightmare last year? :rofl: But seriously that is frustrating. Probably not a bad idea to check grounds and such too. Faulty grounds can cause all sorts of weird gremlins.

xjtony

Lol. It may identify as a passenger car now. I actually went through the grounds this winter. The OBD1 mopars are very particular about grounds. When I bought the buggy I found 16 grounds because the guy didn't wire it properly. It has been frustrating for sure, but when you buy something that has been neglected it's kind of par for the course. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment with the old abandon trucks, beat up old buggy, and I may have a dodge magnum that needs it hemi rebuilt sitting in the driveway.

xjtony

Looks like my issue is the fuel pump. I ran it today with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. When I turn the ignition on, the pump pressurised the rail like it's supposed to, but it cant keep up while driving. Pressure dropped below 20 today while the pump was running real choppy.

xjtony

So I've got the buggy running good (knock on wood) and everything broken buttoned up, but I have one issue to throw out there and get opinions. I'm giving up a ton of down travel in the front due to a few factors.
1. my steering hoses need to be lengthened
2. I'm sitting about 2 inches high in the front. This will be corrected when I pull the C/Os to swap springs
3. This is where I need some real world knowledge. The axle side u joint yoke binds up with any real down travel. I've clearanced the yoke on both the DS and axle as much as I feel like I can without removing too much. Has anybody ran the Super Joint High Clearance 1350 U joints before? If I ran one on just that axle side I feel like it would free up the down travel I'm looking for, but I've never ran this joint before. I know they say they can cause vibration at high speeds, but I'm about as slow as a snail so I don't think that would be an issue. Thoughts?

xjtony

The pinion angle is pretty good the way it sits. My biggest issue with this is that the guy who built the axle didn't rotate the C's and the axle is fully welded from C to C. To get the pinion where I have it I'm running 10 degrees negative caster. I'll snap a pic when I get home.

xj_nate

Poser
are you talking like the Tom Woods joint with the offset cross? @skippy runs one on his billion dollar rear steer moon buggy. I wouldn't hesitate to run one if I were you