Tools that you just can't live without

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
My good floor jack and my impact wrench.

I remember the days of scissor jacks and hand tools to lift a vehicle and remove tires. I'm obviously too old for that s&$t. I can get by without a lot but I will never be without those two things again.

Other than that I'd have to say my dewalt angle grinder, I used the HF angle grinder for years and it was good ish for a while but the dewalt was well worth the investment over another HF cheapy.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
what do you use if for? What I mean is, how is it more useful than an angle grinder for cutting stuff? I've been trying to justify a porta band and the swag table to turn it into an upright band saw but I've struggled to convince myself I'd use it very much as a porta band.

mostly for cutting stuff. hahaha

It is super nice to chop off tube that is in the bender, quickly cut tube to legnth, I love using it to make some super high angle notches and copes. I have used it to cut off stuck and stripped nuts, shape plate, just about every where I can fit it I will use it. It cuts thick metal way easier than a angle grinder and no sparks either! I also hate grinding wheel dust. And its quiet!

But unlucky for me I bought the Makita saw. It is the only one that SWAG doesnt make a table for. I dont know if I would spend the money on it even if they did but it would be nice to know I could. But the Makita saw is my favorite that Ive used.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
And speaking of spoiled.....One of the best tools out there and one which I dont have is a friggin SHOP!! I used to be fine working on everything in the driveway. But after borrowing a few shops and working in others, I cant live without one anymore. Im trying to decide on building one in the back yard or moving so I can get a place with one

I'm with you on this. I need a real workspace so badly.

I love my ratcheting box ends, they're great. I've also got one of those Kobalt ratchet drivers that ratchets when you twist the handle, that's been handy a few times too. I have huge hands, so anything that lets me work more efficiently in tight spaces is great.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I use my milwaukee porta band every single time I am doing tube work, Like Cheston said they are really nice for quick easy cuts and high angle notches

There are 3 things I cant live without, My Matco Toolbox, my Matco ratchets and my heavy work benches!!! I cant stand cheap ratchets or unorganized tool boxes

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Knipex Cobra pliers and Blue Point ratcheting box ends.

http://www.quill.com/knipex-cobra-pipe-pliers/cbs/269298.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_X_269298

A quality box to organize everything in is also nice.

IMAG0916_zps2c450e9b.jpg

I can't stand cheap or disorganized tools.

STAG

On my grind
I think my #1 best value tool I've bought: Bendtech bending software

My most used: 4.5" Milwaukee angle grinder

Wish I had a better one: Air compressor; pretty much the only air tool my compressor is good for is impact guns. Can't run my sandblaster, die grinder, palm sander, etc without having to wait. It is a 28 gallon Craftsman.

Use a lot and got for a helluva deal: Miller 200 MIG Welder

Has helped my weld quality the most: quality auto-darkening weld hood.

Amongst the others: Jack stands, shop press, band saw, TIG welder, electric DA sander, tube bender

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
my 12v milwaukee impact. I love that thing.
screwdriver handled (craftsman) pry bar set.
A well organized tool box where I can find everything and notice when it's missing.
Creeper/mechanics seat. It makes putting large heavy tires on lug nuts so much easier when you can leverage your elbows of your knees.

XJEEPER

Energizer® Industrial 6 LED Headlight http://www.energizer.com/flashlight...adlight/Pages/industrial-6-led-headlight.aspx

I own several of these, each child has one in their room for emergency lighting, each auto has one in the console and I have a couple in the garage. I use the red beam at night when setting up for photo shoots so as to not hamper night vision. I've even used them to "paint with light" on foreground subject during long exposure shots.

Batteries last a long time (3AAA) and the are perfect for working on your rig, regardless of other light sources. When working in tight spots, if you can't get the right angle to light your subject with it on your head, simply remove it and position the multi-angle head where you need it. I'll be removing the strap from one of my garage units and installing a strong magnet on the base for even more placement flexibility.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Nice crimpers are a must if you don't want your rig to burn to the ground...
1005_icon.jpg

This cotter pin puller is VERY handy for tons of uses... It gets used as much as any other tool I have.
48518693.jpg

This one is more of a luxury than a necessity, but it saves lots of time.
SGDMRC44G.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This HF trailer dolly has been a life saver for me. I believe it to be one of my most practical tools. With 4 or 5 trailers in the driveway it becomes a frequent need to move them, and hooking a truck to each is time consuming, and lifting loaded trailers by hand is too hard.

My wife bought it as a Father's Day gift one year after I slipped on the ice while moving the snowmobile trailer. I ended up smashing/sliding my face down the diamond plating on the front of the trailer. I laid face down in the snow bleeding until the pain went away. Needless to say, I cherish the dolly now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-69898.html