top gear on the history channel.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Meh. As far as car shows go, it was good. Not in the same league as Top Gear though. I'll keep watching for a while, and see if they get the kinks worked out. From the preview segment, it looks like there are some cool challenges coming.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Meh. As far as car shows go, it was good. Not in the same league as Top Gear though. I'll keep watching for a while, and see if they get the kinks worked out. From the preview segment, it looks like there are some cool challenges coming.

Meh... is the exact word I was going to use to describe it.

The complete and total copy of the original, right down to the American version of 'Stig', was lame IMO. The lack of British humor really killed it for me... plus, it seemed like the guys were trying too hard at times. In the end... Meh.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Meh... is the exact word I was going to use to describe it.

The complete and total copy of the original, right down to the American version of 'Stig', was lame IMO. The lack of British humor really killed it for me... plus, it seemed like the guys were trying too hard at times. In the end... Meh.

Meh x11ty. I was far from impressed with, even turned it off after the Buzz Aldrin segment and went back to watching my DVR'd Brit version. There was nothing unique in it to make it worth watching. Like you said, it's missing the British humor, a HUGE player in why the original is great.

Coco

greg and brett got it done pat. I forgot about it (didnt really care much to watch it) so i spaced it. I still love the original. There comedy and humor that Top Gear has just cant be copied IMO.

mike20

A.T.R Offroad
maybe they'll do one thing right... and thats putting the ultimate aero and bugatti veyron on the same track and see which is faster in a drag

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Everybody seems to be overlooking one slightly important thing...

The first episode of (british) top gear sucked balls too. A show like top gear isn't just flipped on like a light switch, it's taken years for the hosts' personalities to mesh and for the program to become what it is today. The 'merican show was actually... ok, and it should get better.

Last edited:
Unwatchable

The quick cuts during the car previews ( 5 or 6 different views of various car parts in under a second ) had me switching this show off.

Buzz Aldrin as the big star ?

Unwatchable

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
The show, if it is renewed, will have at least one new host next year. Aside from Tanner, Rutledge and Adam do not look like they have every been over 85mph in a car. At least, Clarkson, May and Hamster were car guys before they signed on for the show. American Stig is STUPID. I would prefer a well known race driver setting the bar in each car he drives around the track instead of feigned anonymity (Putting money down now it is Paul Tracy). BTW, I thought the track was terrible; choppy, dirty and short. I would also like to see something different than "star in a reasonably price car"...... How about "Marginal celebrity driver in a car far outside his ability....." That would be funny! I also feel cheated out of the extra 12 minutes that commercials consume. TG BBC is fully 55minutes sans commercials. This show barely scraped out 43minutes. No need to argue why that is the case, just makes for better TV when there are fewer breaks....

I will continue to watch as long as it is recorded, however I won't even try to sit through the realtime broadcast.....

sixstringsteve

I just finished watching it. As already stated, if you're expecting the same quality of the british top gear, then forget it.

However, I really enjoyed it. The photography was amazing, and I really liked the angles they took. It seems to me that Tanner is the only one who really knows how to drive these cars (and not just drifting), which is a bit discouraging.

That being said, I'll definitely be back for the 2nd show. There were some cheezy bits, some funny bits, but all in all, it's hard not to like a TV show with such killer cars being driven fast, with amazing filming.

Jesser04

Did anyone watch last night? I only watched about half of it before I went to bed. My biggest problem is the driving. It bugs me that they tried to fake Rutledge driving the Aston Martin. That clown couldn't drift a car if he had too.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Did anyone watch last night? I only watched about half of it before I went to bed. My biggest problem is the driving. It bugs me that they tried to fake Rutledge driving the Aston Martin. That clown couldn't drift a car if he had too.

As he proved later in the show...

It's still not bad for a car show. I think people would like it if it weren't for the comparison to real Top Gear.

Jesser04

I like and will continue to watch it. I just think with the kind of budget this show has they should have sent Adam and Rutledge to driving school. For me the driving is what makes the original so good.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Meh, taking it off the DVR. If I happen to stumble across it in the future I might watch but its not worth taking up the space of 2 episodes of Cops or Ax Men ;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Still watching. I thought yesterday's episode was slightly better. From the previews, it looks like they're going to rehash a lot of old Top Gear challenges. I saw cars filled with water. :rolleyes:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Still watching. I thought yesterday's episode was slightly better. From the previews, it looks like they're going to rehash a lot of old Top Gear challenges. I saw cars filled with water. :rolleyes:

Watched this one yesterday :eek:

waterfilled.jpg