South-East Utah Trying to decide what trails to choose for winter on the rocks

chuck85

I'm looking to get some insight to what trails to run over wotr I have never ran anything out there and from what I can see it looks alot like moab in which I am very familiar with. A little about my truck and wheeling experience, 2001 tacoma double cab, sased,supercharged,dualcased,dual locked on 37s and a bunch of other stuff. Ive been wheeling for around 5 years and my last rig was a fully built and exoed 4 runner that I sold because I wanted to have something just as capable with some nicer driving and comfortable features like having a conversation while driving would be one. I naturally gravitate to more technical trails that are challenging and I can learn new things on, with that said I have been a more of a finesse wheeler partly because it just handles hard obstacles with alot more ease, the other reason is I love to drive this truck on a daily basis. So anyone that is very familiar with the trails out there let me know your thoughts. The first few I have read on where john's trail, milt's mile the maze, slip lock.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I ran John's and Milt's once and will never run them again, they weren't very fun. We run West Rim and The Maze every trip since they're right next to each other. I will also run Sliplock every time for sure. Other fun ones are Smurfette's and Nasty Half. There are a lot of very tough trails down there so you really just have to decided how willing you are to risk body damage. I've broken windows and gotten some pretty big dents but I also don't mind that.

chuck85

Nate I want to say we used to be neighbors on rialto way brad the guy with all the toyota's. Thanks for the pointers, Not a big fan of body damage but at certain levels its just part of the sport.

N-Smooth

Small world, Brad. You can certainly have plenty of fun down there while avoiding damage. Sand Hollow is amazing!

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Probably one of the best trails that offers harder obstacles but not body damage is The Maze...but I have also seen vehicles roll and get body damage on that trail so take it for what its worth. I love Chain reaction but body damage is higher on that trail. Nasty half has a higher chance of damage as well. Milts Mile is more fun now that they have added a new section that makes it more challenging with lower chances of damage. As Nate stated sliplock is a lot of fun too. There is a new trail that called Underrated/Plan B. Its pretty fun with decreased chances of damage but again people have received damage on it also. Given what your vehicle is it sounds like you can go 90% of the trails down there some are just less forgiving than others. West rim is always fun and has harder options on but not sure if the leader will be showing those to people or not. It is a trail that has wild to mild mixed into it during the entire trail but is one of the more mild ones as in the normal lines that you would drive. Double Sammy is also a fun trail with decreased chances of body damage.

ricsrx

for a free bump. i am also trying to pick a trail for Hunter this year, I want to put him on a harder trail but i would not be able to follow in my truck due to body damage, so i would be looking for a ride between obsticals.
any one going harder trails that would have a spare seat?

Cascadia

Undecided
I'd like to do some harder trails but also don't know any. My front seat will probably be taken but I may have an open back seat Ric. As long as I get my rear tubes for the back cage done in time.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Hey Brad,
I would say that this is exactly the order you should run the trails in down there:
1. Milts Mile,
2. Double Sammy,
3. The Maze,
4. Jon's Trail

These are all really good Medium caliber trails that you will def enjoy (the area allows you to make the trails as hard as you want).

chuck85

Thanks ryan I think I will run them in that exact order except swap johns trail for slip lock, I just got threw watching a video of a guy in a yellow 4 door jk who gives a great tutorial and visual of slip lock and it looks like a blast!

N-Smooth

I just decided that Sliplock is my favorite trail down there. I really love the maze and nasty half but Sliplock is the one that I'm really excited to do when I go down there

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Sliplock is a really fun trail. You coming down Nate? I am leading Plan b on Saturday and Maze on Friday. It would be great to have you on one of those. I really think you would like Plan B.

N-Smooth

The closer it gets the more I want to change my mind and come down but it's still unlikely. I would love to run Plan B with you since we bailed last time. Perhaps another time

AX10TOY

Undecided
for a free bump. i am also trying to pick a trail for Hunter this year, I want to put him on a harder trail but i would not be able to follow in my truck due to body damage, so i would be looking for a ride between obsticals.
any one going harder trails that would have a spare seat?

Rick what day you going down??????????

As for the trails, Any trail sown there can be made easy or hard IMO
What ever trails you run one thing is a given you will have blast sand hollow is great fun with the locals that are great people .

Last edited:

littlyota

Heading down Weds night before the event.

Can't wait.

Ran Miltz and double Sammy a few months ago.

Sliplock and the maze are on my list.

Last edited: