South-East Utah Trying to decide what trails to choose for winter on the rocks

Hardy6pack

New to the rocks. But want to have fun. What trail would you guys recommend. TJ w/35" locked front and rear. Don't want body damage. But not opposed to it ;)

ricsrx

New to the rocks. But want to have fun. What trail would you guys recommend. TJ w/35" locked front and rear. Don't want body damage. But not opposed to it ;)

go to the web site and pick any that are not buggy trails. you will not be disappointed in any of them!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Look for the trails with the 5-6 rating for your first time on the rocks, just enough to challenge you but still easy enough to give you some outs. Your rig can handle it and the trail lead will help you out with the spotting just be sure to do what he says.

Hardy6pack

Sweet. Thanks guys.
Cant wait. Got her loaded on the trailer. Just waiting til Thursday to head.
My wife's coming and little nerves. Anybody else's wives coming?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Ouch... I guess I am too. They allow that, right?

Edit: I see their site says 3-7 on Thursday. Hopefully I'm down there in time. I may be a little bit later than 7. If not I guess I'll have to try on Friday morning. My bro-in-law is coming from Oklahoma so hopefully we don't run into any snags

Last edited:

pkrfctr

Jinx, mind if I offer up a seat to my niece or Bro-in-law for one of the days? Most of my family is down there with Dad, might do them some good to get out for a few hours.

Rick, I will down there with my wife and my boys. We have 5 people and 8 seat belts. I will be watching my wife pretty close too. Hence tail gunning.

Hunter is a good guy Happy to help you if we can.

Pkrfctr and I will be on slip lock on Friday.

N-Smooth

From their Facebook page: "Early registration ends January 16 th at 5 pm. you can still register at the event but there is no shirt, meals or tickets...."

So that hurts. I honestly didn't know I was going until Monday so I missed the opportunity to pre-register. It's tough when you have people buying plane tickets and all that jazz. I was looking forward to the meals cause I don't have a job and it was going to make the trip cheaper :(

ricsrx

I missed it by 2 hours, oh well, I guess the monies I spend on the raffle will go to food and shirts

Last edited:

N-Smooth

If I didn't already have a place reserved down there (too late to cancel) I would be changing my plans to Moab. I hope my $80 for registration that doesn't include a shirt, meals or raffle tickets goes towards something good. Oh well, I'm sure I'll have fun but it's not what I was expecting

planman

It is a fund raiser for u4wda and utah4x4cub. So, the funds go to good use. The trails exist in great part because of them.

I'm sure that they needed their shirt and catering orders in before the event. Almost nothing worse than loosing money on a major a club fundraiser due to over ordering food and swag.

Having been involved in planning events like this in Montana, I know it is a challenge to make everyone happy. Either you are the bad guy because you over spent, under or overestimated participation, had too many or too few sponsors, etc., etc.

Come join us anyway. Someone can spot you a meal ticket.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have heard quite a few people are not registering for the event due to this but they are still going down to wheel and hang out..

I pre registered so i really have no personnal issues

But if I had to pay 80 bucks to wheel public land and didnt get the shirt or food i would be less likely to pay as well

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
They really should have lowered the cost after pre-registration. You can still buy your dinner and breakfast separate so it just would have made sense.

planman

I have heard quite a few people are not registering for the event due to this but they are still going down to wheel and hang out..

I pre registered so i really have no personnal issues

But if I had to pay 80 bucks to wheel public land and didnt get the shirt or food i would be less likely to pay as well

We've had that happen in Montana as well. So, if the primary purpose is a fundraiser, we would get exclusive use permits for the trails during the event so no one could "crash the party."

I'm just as guilty as any others. I like going to EJS to see friends and the vendor show, but I prefer to run in groups of 4-6 vehicles so that we don't get bogged down on the trail. I usually support RR4W financially for what they do for the wheeling community by running a Big Saturday trail, but in truth, I kind of "crash their party." I even run trails they have as exclusive, but only later in the afternoons.

Bottom line is, if the purpose is a fund raiser and to bring in non-locals, the management of the event is different than when the purpose is to gather locals to wheel.

Public land is one thing. Public land that has trails forged, fought for, maintained, mapped, GPS'd, etc. by local clubs does, in my opinion, deserve some support from users.

So, being totally hypocritical, I don't have a problem that the local club has a deadline on registration to be able to facilitate catering and swag orders. If they didn't, it would be a total disaster if an extra 100 people showed up expecting shirts and food.

I suppose they could separate out registration from food and swag to be able to net more fundraising revenue and have fewer "party crashers." They should definitely look at it.

N-Smooth

I'm that guy at EJS as well. I have never gotten in the way of the RR4W because I respect what they do and I even donate to them separately. I'm just not the "organized" trail run type. This was going to be my first one and you can see how it's going already ;)
I also donate to U4 (I'm actually wearing my "I just roll" U4 shirt right now!) and Area BFE because I care about our "cause" and know that it matters. I
'm just not sure how registration changes from $80 for a donation, shirt, meals and raffle ticket to just a donation overnight. Especially since it's public land and they don't have an exclusive use permit. Am I missing something?

I suppose on one hand it's good to hear that others are puzzled by this as well but at the same time it sucks to hear that others are not having a good experience. I'd greatly prefer just going down there and having fun participating in a great event.

Edit: I also have those GPX files that I offered earlier in the thread if anyone still wants them. I send them to a couple people a day but I just want to make sure anyone that wants them asks me. I have Sliplock, Milts, Johns, Chain, West rim upper and lower, Maze, nasty Half and Smurfette's

Last edited: