TY-J already built thread

Cascadia

Undecided
It is my slave cylinder that went out. The slave on my trans is internal so everything has to come out. I know it has a new clutch but I don't think the slave was changed at the same time. Supposedly you should replace the slave if you do the clutch on an ax5 or it stretches the bands and the slave will start to leak. I think this was the case on mine because I wasn't able to shift into the next gear without a little grinding earlier in the day.

Sucks but but it's only money right. :rolleyes:

Cascadia

Undecided
Just pulled the jeep out for the first time since I got the clutch done in hopes of going to OSRC. My hopes might be shot down. If I get above about 20 mph and up shift there is a tiny tiny bit of grinding. If I downshift, it continuously grinds and you can't get it in gear until you slow down enough. So I called Kevin at six states and he says my trans needs a rebuild since the clutch disengages when it's told to. What a bummer! I guess I can possibly still wheel since I won't be going faster than 5 mph anyways.

What at should I do about the trans? Rebuild it for 1000? Is an ax15 stronger and bolt up? How hard is an aw4 or tf999 swap or will they not bolt up to my puny 2.5?

idahoyj

Advanced adapters sells a kit to adapt the AX-15 to the 2.5, but it's $$$. Plus you will need to change the transfer case input from 21 spline to 23. I don't have any info on the AW4 or TF999 swap, but my hunch is the automatic trans might rob more power from the 2.5 than it is worth.

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm considering not wasting money on rebuilding the trans or buying a used trans and saving up instead and replacing motor and trans. Thinking something in the 5.3 or 6.0 and th400 type of flavor. I'll probably leave it up for sale until I have the funds but after that it's coming down. Hoping I have the funds saved before someone gets interested.

Should I stick with my 231/300 combo since i already have it? I won't have the money for an atlas anytime soon. Like not soon at all.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
You should be okay with the doubler. You may want to swap out the planitary for the larger one as I would guess that would be your weak link.

Bart

I think that rig with a 5.3 and an auto would ROCK! Do the swap and run the doubler until you have funds for an Atlas.

Cascadia

Undecided
Drove the jeep for the first time in a month or 2 today other than in the driveway. It wasn't on a trail but I drove it probably 7-8 miles from my house to storage. It felt good to drive it even though it was on the road. Made me want to keep it again and do the 5.3 or 6.0 and auto swap. My only issue is finding time to wrench on it and wheel it. I've been swamped with work, moving, and looking to build a new house. Any free time (not with the family) I do get is spent on my orange bike.