Tyson's 03 Tacoma Mild Build

Cascadia

Undecided
Found some time today to work on the truck. I installed my OME add a leafs from Kurt and my 1 inch aluminum blocks that were on the truck when I got it. The first side took me about an hour and the second side took me about 25 minutes. I forgot about the screwdriver trick to line up the center pin holes in all the leafs for the first side. They went together great, other than having to drill out the center pin hole in both of them. For some reason they were about 1/16''-1/8'' too small. Not a big deal though. I'm just glad something went right for once on a project that I did. Seems like something always happens, or doesn't happen. The rear sits slightly taller than the front now but it will settle, especially with pulling a trailer everyday. I also tacked my stock bump stops back on top of my u bolt flip kit plate. I think they need to be longer though.

I went to the lot to get some poser flex shots after and my 4wd won't engage so I'm trying to figure that out. Feels like it is engaging and the light goes on like it's on but no power to the tires. Sounds like there is an electric or air actuator motor for the front diff that is making a weird noise I don't notice before. Hopefully I can figure that out soon, for cheap.:(

Tacoma 016.JPGTacoma 015.JPGTacoma 014.JPGTacoma 013.JPG
Tacoma 012.JPGTacoma 011.JPGTacoma 010.JPGTacoma 009.JPG

Cascadia

Undecided
I have a 1 inch block in three too but I still think it went up quite a bit. if it doesn't settle enough I will pull the block. I don't get much sag pulling my trailer with the ad a leaf either. But I did have to buy a 10 inch drop hitch today. Ha.

Cascadia

Undecided
I've already over built this truck from what my original plans were. I don't know yet but i think it is going to be more capable than I had planned. I'm stating to wonder if I should sell my brand new 33'' grabbers and get a set of 35's instead. I've got the room for them. I just need to do a little trimming of the front of the rear flare. Will my truck hold up to 35's with the ifs or is there anything else I need to worth or think about? I'm already planning on regearing in the somewhat near future.

sixstringsteve

I'm stating to wonder if I should sell my brand new 33'' grabbers and get a set of 35's instead.

Ah... scope creep... gotta love it. :D Just remember why you bought it in the first place and see if it still fits that role. An IFS taco will never be a super capable rockcrawler. It is what it is, and trying to make it a big rockcrawler will just ruin what it does well, kill resale value, and make you want to get a dedicated crawler anyway (been there, done that, and still doing that). Imagine tipping your truck on its side and how mad you'd be. I'd be pretty ticked if I wrecked a truck that sweet. I'm not saying you shouldn't wheel it, just don't try to make it a super capable rockcrawler. A stock trd taco with sliders can do 90% of the trails in Moab. Ask yourself it you really need to go bigger to be able to do those other 10%.

Would I love it if you went to 35's? Absolutely! I think tacos on 35's look great, and tacos on 37's look even better, and I'd love to have a friend with a similarly built truck.

However, unless you're taking it out every few weeks, I think the responsible decision would be to keep it as is. If it were my truck, I'd try to lower it a bit. I'd remove the rear 1" block and go with softer front coils (since you don't have a winch or big bumper), and wheel it all over the place. It's plenty capable as is. 35's will make it tow worse, ride worse on the freeway, and will cost a lot of money that you'll never get back. Haha, even knowing all that, I'm still going to run 35's on mine, I'm such a hypocrite.

I've got the room for them. I just need to do a little trimming of the front of the rear flare. Will my truck hold up to 35's with the ifs or is there anything else I need to worth or think about? I'm already planning on regearing in the somewhat near future.

I hope I don't come across as a know-it-all. I'm just trying to offer some friendly advice. I'm interested in hearing what others say. I used to think I'd be able to clear 35's on my d-cab without major modifications. It seemed seem like all I needed to do was trim a little plastic, but without a body lift, I realized I had to do some MAJOR cutting. If your suspension was rigid, then you'd be ok. But once the a-arms flex up even a little bit, that 35" tire starts rubbing just about everywhere: washer bottle, frame (on steering lock), front of the inner fender, back of the front bumper, back of the wheel well, body mount, etc.

Imagine trying to fit 35's with no lift. A suspension lift isn't going to gain you any clearance. Once your bumpstops are maxed out in the front, your tire will be just as stuffed with no lift as with a 4" lift (unless you do a body lift or a lift that changes your A-arms). 35's rock, I love 'em, but it requires a LOT of cutting and re-welding to make them fit. Just be prepared to do that if you really do go to 35's.

Will my truck hold up to 35's with the ifs or is there anything else I need to worth or think about? I'm already planning on regearing in the somewhat near future.

If you take it easy and don't wheel like a leadfooted maniac, I think you'd be fine. I never had any problems with mine, but I do wheel like a grandpa, so take that into consideration. Knowing how you wheel, I think you'd be absolutely fine.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Maybe before you decide on going to 35's you should take it out on a trail or two to see how it does in stock form. I think you'll be surprised with how much the 33's rub, which may affect your decision to run 35's.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Thanks for the input Steve. I know you're not a know it all but you have already been where I am at with the truck so I have no problem listening. I know it will never be a crawler or even tackle some of the trails I may want it to and I am fine with that. The truck is still what I originally wanted it to be which was a daily driver that I can take out maybe a couple times a month and wheel it for fun. I like how my truck drives as is on the road but I still need to get out and see how it does offroad.

As far as the rear block goes, my truck was sagging a little and was really soft around corners. When I would tow it was even worse. Some of the dips in the road were just too much for the OME lift. So when I was throwing in the add a leafs I thought I would throw the blocks in just in case the add a leafs didn't give me enough to pull my trailer for the rest of the week. It does seem a little tall to me. Not unstable but just looks tall. I will probably take it out sometime soon and then if/when the springs settle I can throw it back in.

As far as the front goes, I did do the heavier duty coils thinking and planning on a bumper and winch for the future. As you know I frame homes for a living and when I had my LJ I had a winch and I would lift walls and pull bundles of lumber around with my front bumper or winch a few times a week. I think once I get the weight on the front the coils will soften up a bit and they should settle a little.

One of the main reasons I want to go to 35's right now is I want to be able to roll over all of the little things and not feel them. I know ground clearance and crawling doesn't really come from going from 33's to 35's. Gas mileage may suffer but I might be over the whole gas mileage thing anyways. I never luck out with the mpg department. Another thing is my tires are near brand new and I could get more money back out of them right now than a year down the road, if I still have the truck.:confused: But the main reason is if work continues to go great this year I will retire this truck to the weekend wheeling/camping/Moab trips and get a new Tundra. :D That's what I'm really hoping for. I haven't made up my mind on anything yet but these are the thoughts running through my head.

Cascadia

Undecided
Maybe before you decide on going to 35's you should take it out on a trail or two to see how it does in stock form. I think you'll be surprised with how much the 33's rub, which may affect your decision to run 35's.
This could very well be true. Will your lift be done tonight or tomorrow morning and we can go out to Snakes tomorrow sometime?

sixstringsteve

My lift might be done by tonight, but my rear gears will be 4.10s while my fronts will be 3.58's. So I can't wheel my rig 'till I get it re-geared.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
This could very well be true. Will your lift be done tonight or tomorrow morning and we can go out to Snakes tomorrow sometime?

I'm going to be out there around 1130ish can't give a firm time, plan is to leave around 1000

Cascadia

Undecided
I got my rear bumper pulled off this last weekend. I sprayed it with 2 coats of primer and then 4 coats of hammered paint. The same color I painted my sliders. Got it all mounted back up Sunday night. I don't have any pics of it painted yet but I think it looks awesome. Chance did a great job with the mounts. Everything slid right on on lined up perfectly. That's the good news.

For the bad news, I love my truck but I am just not liking pulling my trailer up and down the same hills everyday. I absolutely love the truck while I'm not towing or towing on flat, but the hills are no fun. Long story short, anyone interested in buying my truck? I'm looking for a diesel so trade offers are welcome. PM me if you are interested, I don't want to list it on here yet. Until it sells I will just continue to have fun with it and put my personal touches on it.

I'm thinking my next thing on the to do list is a CB.

Cascadia

Undecided
so true :)

Good luck finding what you want. Too bad this truck didn't work out for you, it's a very cool truck. I'm starting to wonder if your trailer is a lot heavier than you think.
My trailer weighs 1040 lbs empty. I have 2 double barrel rol air compressors, 4 framing saws, 8 framing guns, 6 hoses, 6 cords, 4 ladders, a bunch of nails and a bunch more random tools. I've been guessing it''s around 2200-2500 lbs. I could be wrong. Maybe I need to go get it on a scale. This truck works for everything but pulling my trailer. If I could find a diesel cheap enough I would keep this truck no doubt. I love it!

Cascadia

Undecided
I think selling this truck might have been my biggest regret yet. I'm looking for a new vehicle but I can't figure it out. I keep coming back to a dc Tacoma. I just need more power. Thinking of building the same truck with a tundra 4.7. Hmmm......

Caleb

I think selling this truck might have been my biggest regret yet. I'm looking for a new vehicle but I can't figure it out. I keep coming back to a dc Tacoma. I just need more power. Thinking of building the same truck with a tundra 4.7. Hmmm......

Haha, I bet. My 03 DC is still my only vehicle I've ever had that I wish I still had.