Only vote if you plan on attending: Which route do you prefer

• Moab --> southeast part of La Sal Mtns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moab --> southwest part of La Sal Mtns

• Other: explain

• Total voters
is the map working for you? Are you able to see the blue route on it? You can zoom in on the map and move it around for details. You can switch between map, satellite, and earth view. Also, click on the title "day 2" and it'll take you to Google Maps where you can manipulate it more.

Problem solved...I was trying to view it on my phone, and the mobile version didn't show the route. Shows up just fine on my laptop. Awesome route.

sixstringsteve

Oops, sorry I missed that the first time. Good question. On Wed we will stop for gas in Evanston. If you want to grab some food there, that's fine too, but we won't be stopping for very long (15-20 min?). I'm not exactly sure where we'll be eating lunch on Wed. I figured we'd find a nice spot along the trail to stop for a bit. It all kinda depends on our pace and how we're doing.

For the rest of the days, we will be eating our meals on the trail or@ camp. Whenever we stop for gas, we'll have time for people to make quick runs to the store to get more wood, ice, snacks, whatever, but I wouldn't plan my meals around those stops.

jentzschman

Yes, that should be plenty. Our longest stretch between gas stations is 250 miles. Depending on MPG, an extra 5 gal should get you 50-100 extra miles over your stock range.

Bring anything you'd need to go camping for a week. Here's the list I put together:

http://www.rme4x4.com/entry.php?45-What-to-bring-camping-camping-gear-list

As usually, great post Steve, Thank you!

Apples and oranges. The ARB/Engel/Luna/Edgestar style fridges are a 100% compressor driven refrigerator (freezer). The Coleman is a thermoelectric cooler which uses massive amounts of energy (up to 10 amps constantly) to transfer the heat either into the compartment or out. Besides their poor efficiency (3x+) that of an actual fridge cycle, they also have a very limited temp reduction range, approximately 30-40* F below ambient whereas a 12V fridge can do 100* below ambient, and maintain a true freeze if desired even in 100+ degree temps. While the limited cooling is a drag, the draw is a bigger issue. Assuming a warm night and a unit running through the night, it could drain a battery pretty quick, possibly beyond a start threshold for a single battery user. Many find them more useful as a supplement to ice, i.e. they still use ice but the Coleman 'fridge' makes it last longer.

As Steve mentioned we rent fridges, we have 4 different models to choose from and the bulk of the rental fee goes towards a fridge purchase should you choose to indulge:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/rental_gear.html

Is a 12V fridge for everyone? Absolutely not, but for many they are a sound investment. Check out my thoughts on the matter here:
12V Freezer-Fridges - Do they bring the heat?
www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?76600-12V-Freezer-Fridges-Do-they-bring-the-heat

The cost of a fridge will obviously be a few hundred bags of ice, but if its a long-term investment that not only saves you the hassle of ice but also give you more flexibility and room when loading for a trip. Different strokes for different folks.

Much appreciated Kurt, thank you. Great info.

I'm so pumped for this trip. Less than 2 weeks away.

Indeed! Getting very excited!!!

TROKITA

i went to that new outdoor store in sandy Scheels or something like that, its freaken awesome, but anyways i remember some people looking for gas tanks or so and i found this http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/fuel-packs-brackets/fuel-packs-and-brackets.html?vmcchk=1 i only saw the long one at the store but its way cheaper at the store then here in there website, i think it was like $75-$80, another thing i went to Lowrange today and i saw there gas tanks and it was like 45 bucks for a 5 gallon metal tank, also the tank holder is a little over priced at low range $170. i saw the same exact one at uncle sam's army store for like 60 bucks only differences is that its green. just throwing it out there to help out who ever is shopping around for this trip. have fun guys

P.S another thing if you guys need any help looking for stuff or want something you found on KSL but it's here in Orem or in the valley area, ill be happy to go take a look at it or see the prices. so you guys dont have to come clear down to the valley :)

sixstringsteve

Sick! I clicked the link (on my Droid) and then it gave me a choice between browser and maps, clicked maps and it came up in the (google) maps program!

Nice route, by the way.

Good! What's even cooler is if you save it to your "my places " in Google maps, Then use your DROID'S GPS to follow the route as you go.

I'll get the rest of the maps up before midnight.

sixstringsteve

Is anyone planning on bringing their wife or kids? Dan, I assume your wife and daughter are coming. My wife would love some female company. It's going to be FREEZING at night (and probably during the day too). I can't wait, I'm getting really excited about this trip. :D

Also, I forsee plenty of opportunities to get some shooting in if anyone's in to that sort of thing.

jentzschman

Is anyone planning on bringing their wife or kids? Dan, I assume your wife and daughter are coming. My wife would love some female company. It's going to be FREEZING at night (and probably during the day too). I can't wait, I'm getting really excited about this trip. :D

Also, I forsee plenty of opportunities to get some shooting in if anyone's in to that sort of thing.

I need to pick up a bag liner for my sleeping bag, that our get a new one lol

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

sixstringsteve

Dave, got any recommended stops/hikes along the way? i don't know of a single good hike out there. I want to see burning hours ruins, but other than that I'm clueless. I'd love to find a slot canyon or two.