Upper & Lower Helldorado.... Closed???

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
peel said:
Well maby you young kids could put some money together and
buy some land and keep it for offroading,
Oh wait that was tried here once and you all said NO....

What are you talking about?? :rolleyes:

Moab Beauty

Who said that?
Floppy Hat said:
Here is an interesting post by Moab Austin (Moab local) from the Pirate board:

I'm not saying he is right or wrong, just letting people know what is being said.
I am not sure what the heck is going on, but I would really like to know also. How do we know if someone has bought the land? Where can we find that out? And another thing what is there are signs up and we do call the sheriff? I dont really want to be getting in trouble or anything you know?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Moab Beauty said:
.... How do we know if someone has bought the land? Where can we find that out? And ...

The land IS sold, two private buyers bought it at auction last month... the SITLA website has minimal details other than it is sold. I spent a couple hour on the phone getting the rest...

Moab Beauty

Who said that?
cruiseroutfit said:
The land IS sold, two private buyers bought it at auction last month... the SITLA website has minimal details other than it is sold. I spent a couple hour on the phone getting the rest...

Oh okay I see, I am sorry to be so blonde, and uninformed. But thank you very much... :ugh:

WildYoats

Ok, I know there is much talk about this or that regarding these trails.... In a telephone conversation (thanks Chad G.) as of some minutes ago with the Moab BLM, here is what was told:

Lower Helldorado was indeed SOLD one week ago and IS closed off.

Upper Helldorado is still OPEN.

Im just the messenger....... :ugh:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
WildYoats said:
Ok, I know there is much talk about this or that regarding these trails.... In a telephone conversation (thanks Chad G.) as of some minutes ago with the Moab BLM, here is what was told:

Lower Helldorado was indeed SOLD one week ago and IS closed off.

Upper Helldorado is still OPEN.

Im just the messenger....... :ugh:

Well, that's partly good news. Thanks for the info Johnny. :)

myothertoy

it's gated in about 5 different places along the trail, but it looks like you can still do upper, I also heard about strike ravine but only at the entrance, sounds like something is slowly in the works to shut everything down

Nixter

on the road again...
So I guess if upper is open, maybe the Strike Ravine trail would be too? Since you come down that hill, I'm guess'n the main trail through the dry creed bed would be open??

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There is alot of mis-information going around about these three trails...

The main problem is mapping the area, the RR4W are GPS'ing the trails and then will compare them against the plot of property of the new owners to see what exactly is on their property. From what I have been told from guys within RR4W and USA-ALL, Upper IS closed, wether is gated or not. We may have a legal leg to stand on so we can't go tearing out gates, signs etc...

I would recomend anyone going down there to get ahold of the local Sherrif (San Juan County) prior to heading to the trail. The Sherrif and county government are VERY familiar with the dilema and will be able to tell you more informantion as you arrive.

jp008

I just got this E-mail from Jeff Stevens, a member of the RR4W. Are things looking up?

<<<Here's the latest on Helldorado:

Ber Knight (RR4W Information Officer) and I went out and GPS'd the area this
morning. Most (but not quite all) of Lower Helldorado is within the land
that was purchased. The trail is posted and barricaded at each end. Upper
Helldorado is not affected, and neither is Kane Springs Wash (the wash that
you follow to the entrance of both Lower and Upper Helldorado). Part of the
Strike Ravine EJS trail is also within the purchased area, and one end of
the trail is barricaded and posted. (The Strike Ravine trail is the "road"
that climbs the hill just a few feet to the side of the Lower Helldorado
entrance, and is posted, along with Lower Helldorado, at the turn off from
the Kane Springs Wash.)

If someone could post this on PBB, I'd appreciate it. (I'm just trying to
present accurate information.) For what it's worth, I was elected V.P. of
the club this year, and you can add that if you think it might make it sound
more "official".

I will be talking with our Land Use Officer soon. We will need to contact
the land owner to see if we can work out some sort of agreement to use at
least the Stike Ravine trail for EJS. I personally doubt that he (she?) will
be cooperative, but we shall see...

Jeff
>>>

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Okay, so Upper is open? WEEE!!! Still sucks big time to lose Strike Ravine (that's been used for more than ten years, how can we use that state law?) and Lower, but Upper Helldorado is the jewel of the bunch, and it's awesome that we didn't lose it (yet). Now, how do we find out when the Upper Helldorado land goes up for sale so we can buy it, and forever preserve it for OUR use?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
RockMonkey said:
Okay, so Upper is open? WEEE!!! Still sucks big time to lose Strike Ravine (that's been used for more than ten years, how can we use that state law?) and Lower, but Upper Helldorado is the jewel of the bunch, and it's awesome that we didn't lose it (yet). Now, how do we find out when the Upper Helldorado land goes up for sale so we can buy it, and forever preserve it for OUR use?

The Upper Land may or may not be SITLA trust lands... That is going to be the task over the next few months... check all of the established trails in Moab vs. the property that SITLA governs. That way when a sale comes up or SITLA is decifing which to sell... we can voice our opinion. I am now on the SITLA mailing list and will be watching any and all sales in the Moab area. Truly this is a statewide problem, any trail out there may be affected by this same type of tragedy...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
cruiseroutfit said:
The Upper Land may or may not be SITLA trust lands... That is going to be the task over the next few months... check all of the established trails in Moab vs. the property that SITLA governs. That way when a sale comes up or SITLA is decifing which to sell... we can voice our opinion. I am now on the SITLA mailing list and will be watching any and all sales in the Moab area. Truly this is a statewide problem, any trail out there may be affected by this same type of tragedy...

Let me just say that you are the man. :cool:

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
cruiseroutfit said:

Just an FYI, Little Moab is also SITLA property.