Upper & Lower Helldorado.... Closed???

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Why thanks guys... your making me blush....

Truly, I really care about these trails... even losing one is a major disaster in my opinion... it just congregates more and more people on the same trails... more people=more wear and tear to trails... That wear and tear is the ammo greenies use to close trails...

We need MORE Moab trails... we have the right to use our land and we are an integral part of the area economy.

Thanks again!

[/end blushing]

jp008

I just got this. I thought the people of this board moght be interested.

<<<Here's the latest on Helldorado:

We (Red Rock 4-Wheelers) contacted the new land owners, and were told they
are "adamant about closing the trails". They have contacted San Juan County,
and have requested that the county officially close the trails. In reply,
San Juan County told them that the Strike Ravine trail cannot be closed
without first holding a public hearing. A preliminary meeting is scheduled
for next week in Monticello, and several RR4W'ers (including myself) will
attend. A public hearing will then be scheduled at a later date.

Brian Hawthorne (USA-ALL) was at our meeting, and he will also attend the
meeting in Monticello. We feel that we have a good chance at keeping the
Strike Ravine trail open, since it has been in use for over 10 years, and we
are prepared to do whatever it takes to keep the trail open. Lower
Helldorado, however, is a longshot at best.

In the meantime, it is important for all 4-wheelers to respect the closures
untill a ruling has been made. Anyone caught trespassing will be ticketed,
and it certainly will not help our case.

Jeff >>>

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for the info Jim.

I doubt this helps any, but Lower Helldorado has been an established trail/road since the 1940's! How can thay close that, if 10 yrs makes a diffrence for Strike Ravine?

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Greg said:
Thanks for the info Jim.

I doubt this helps any, but Lower Helldorado has been an established trail/road since the 1940's! How can thay close that, if 10 yrs makes a diffrence for Strike Ravine?

Are you sure about that? If it is, then you are correct.....if we assert the law we can't lose. However, I was under the impression that Lower wasn't an old road. I reserve the right to be wrong, of course.

Part of what makes this whole thing so frusterating is that everyone hears something different and then it all get mixed togather here and turns into a big freaking mess. RR4W are all over this one; I for one will wait to hear from their repersentative, and they will direct us to help them if needed.

EZ

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
EZRhino said:
Are you sure about that? If it is, then you are correct.....if we assert the law we can't lose. However, I was under the impression that Lower wasn't an old road. I reserve the right to be wrong, of course.

Part of what makes this whole thing so frusterating is that everyone hears something different and then it all get mixed togather here and turns into a big freaking mess. RR4W are all over this one; I for one will wait to hear from their repersentative, and they will direct us to help them if needed.

EZ

Good points, EZ. As hard as it may be, you are right about waiting for RR4W to take the lead on this. I just wish they would actually come around here. :(

I think part of the reason people think Lower Helldorado was a road is from Phil Howell's original article about the trail. I believe it appeared in the June or July 1998 issue of 4-Wheel Drive and Sport Utility (I can't seem to find it right now). I remember him saying in that article that a road used to exist in the canyon bottom that led to the Yellow Circle Mines.

I'll keep looking for that issue, but if someone has it feel free to post up what he says. Of course, who knows if he was right or not. :confused:

Greg

Admin
EZRhino said:
Are you sure about that?

EZ

Yep, totally sure. I was on Lower Helldorado in the Fall of '98 with Phil Howell. He was talking about how he got some old maps of the area, saw a old mining access road and decided to check it out for Trail possibilities. Lower Helldorado was born.

I've been trying to get ahold of Phil for the last while, but I can't find a email address. He would be the best person we could have on our side for fighting this lame closure.

I agree on the RR4W point, they have a well established relationship in the area. I would like to go to the meeting they'll have, as mentioned in Jims post.

Anyone else wanna go? ;)

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Hi all - First, an introduction is in order. My name is Jeff Stevens, and I am the newsletter editor and VP for the Red Rock 4-Wheelers. I just found out about this forum last month, and I have been a lurker since then. I actually have provided quite a bit of the info in this thread (thanks Kurt and Jim for posting for me!), but it is time now that I became a member.

Here are the facts to the best of my (and the RR4W) knowledge concerning Helldorado:

1. We have spoken to the new owners, and they are adament about closing the trails through their property. In fact, they have contacted San Juan County and asked that the county formally close the trails.

2. San Juan County told us that they will not close the trails without first having a public hearing. A preliminary meeting is scheduled for next week, which I will attend. Presumably, the hearing will then be scheduled for a later date.

3. We feel we have a good chance of keeping Strike Ravine open, since it has been in use for over 10 years. However, we have no evidence that Lower Helldorado was ever a road, or has been used as a trail for more than 5-6 years, and therefore our chances are probably slim of saving it. IF ANYONE HAS ANY EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY, PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP.

4. If the hearing results in an unfavorable decision, we are prepared to take further action.

5. In the meantime, it is important that we all obey the landowners wishes and stay off the trail. The San Juan Sheriff will (and already HAS) ticket anyone caught trespassing.

Thanks everyone for caring about this. There has been a lot of mis-information and rumors going around, and hopefully I can help to keep the facts straight. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them the best I can. See ya -Jeff

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Thanks for posting up and for the info, Jeff and welcome to RME. Also, thanks for all the hard work in staying on top of this issue and trying to save these trails. It is very appreciated.

Keep us informed and let us know what we can do to help.

Greg

Admin
Thanks you very much Jeff, there has been way too much confusion on this subject. I appreciate you taking time to fill us in. Most of us are in the SLC area & we really want to help out, but keeping the facts straight can be hard, when we are this far away.

I'll keep trying to contact Phil Howell, he would be the authority on the history of the area & the development of Lower Helldorado.

Also, if you could share where & when the preliminary meeting will be held, I'd be intrested in being there, too.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thanks, Greg and Floppy. Be sure to let me know if you get ahold of Phil. I remember that SU&4WD article too, and if we can prove that it was once a road, that would certainly help. The first time I ever drove it was in 1998, and there had been only a few people over it at that time.

The meeting next week is in Monticello, at the County Commissioners office, on Monday at 10:00 AM. This is a preliminary meeting, however. I will let everyone know when the public hearing is scheduled... that is the one that we all need to attend.

Jeff

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
drtsqrl said:
Hi all - First, an introduction is in order. My name is Jeff Stevens, ...

Welcome Jeff!

Glad to see you made it over here... I think RME will be a great asset for the current dilema in Moab... :D

Thanks for the updates and keep us posted!

petti

HI my name is Josh, and would like to help out in any way possible for me (I live in Michigan) was out in Moab 2 years back and have been trying to get back out there again.....read your post and have sent a leter to beauro of land managment.. what else can i do to help?? i will also post whatever you guys need on a michigan board i am a member of with over a thousand members THanks and good Luck

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
petti said:
HI my name is Josh, and would like to help out in any way possible for me (I live in Michigan) was out in Moab 2 years back and have been trying to get back out there again.....read your post and have sent a leter to beauro of land managment.. what else can i do to help?? i will also post whatever you guys need on a michigan board i am a member of with over a thousand members THanks and good Luck

Not much to do right now except wait. I went to the San Juan County Commissioners meeting this week, and it's in their hands now. Sounds like we have a pretty good chance at saving Strike Ravine, but unless we can find some solid evidence that Lower Helldorado has been used for 10 years, our chances to save it are slim. San Juan County will talk to the new owner and GPS the trail, then make a decision.

Of greater importance right now for the Moab area is the upcoming BLM Resource Management Plan (RMP). The new plan will dictate policy for the next 15 years, so it is vital to get our comments in by the Dec 30 deadline. I know this subject has been covered here before, but we really need to flood the BLM with pro-motorized comments. Go to www.moabrmp.com to submit your comments. If you need help writing a letter, there is lots of info on this and other boards, or e-mail me at drtsqrl@frontiernet.net and I will e-mail a sample letter and some tips.

Thanks- Jeff

sukaB

Banned
NEW NEWS:::::

Guess what!

What if I said I was told where the guy/girl that owns the land of lower hells lived!!!!
I'm doing more research to prove this but they could be right under our noses

We could Picket.......Or send fat bastard over there....

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
sukaB said:
NEW NEWS:::::

Guess what!

What if I said I was told where the guy/girl that owns the land of lower hells lived!!!!
I'm doing more research to prove this but they could be right under our noses

We could Picket.......Or send fat bastard over there....

PM me fool.... :D

sukaB

Banned
cruiseroutfit said:
PM me fool.... :D

Call me Bitch..
You were supposed to today anyways fagghetti.....

Wanna go to Cali for a wheelin trip....1 week...Your off from school!
Bitch